Thread: Granite Creek at HIGH WATER!

Default Granite Creek at HIGH WATER!

Here is the video of Owen and I running Granite Creek. After hiking in we were not about to walk out so we put in an gave it our all. Owen took a nasty swim early and from there had a clean but conservative run. I popped my skirt and broke my paddle after getting it stuck in a rock. When I went to pull out to dump water the fast current took the boat and the chase began...

Eagle River

Great video, that looked like a hoot !

Thanks for sharing.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Albert Einstein

Default Great run

Great job keeping it together, and good video.

Maybe think about some safety additives to run continuous Class IV boulder creeks. I would get some chicken lines on your boats, bow and stern, plus rescue vests are great for clipping onto lost boats and paddles. Another great trick, when swimming, is to throw your paddle on the bank when you get a chance, then you can focus on getting your boat to shore much easier.

How are you keeping water out of your boats with those old decks? People who boated Moose with us at high water, and folks who had them with Jim on Gravel were swamped and had to dump constantly. The new whitewater decks are much drier; however, John blew his, and I blew mine, on the harder runs, but they are drier for sure overall

Sadly... the video does not show the intensity and actual size of the breaking waves, and guys who see it think " oh that doesn't look that hard." (lol) I have ran that 4 times but not quite at that high of water, but close. I would certainly call it class IV, it's very similar to Moose Creek's upper section at very high water. The coined phrase i've heard a few times to describe normally class III whitewater boulder runs, during highwater, is "Class III class IV maturity." Why; because they do not possess the normal class IV features found on most Class IV rivers rated by the International Whitewater Association, but the continuous pounding makes up for it.

I think these runs at high water are harder than guardrail, at any normal flow, as intense as the Little Su. when it's around 400-500cfs,and as intimidating as any falls on Montana Creek, at packraftable flows, you can at least catch your breath on them.

A video of a Montana Creek, or other similar steep, waterfall, ledge drop runs, looks way harder, but viewers should not be fooled by the hidden features of boulder creeks like Granite, which are cloaked by the continuous gradient, THEY WILL KICK YOUR BUTT. Any screw up leads to a long, long swim, team rescue becomes very difficult, but risk of death is very minimal, minus the wood factor, which is why it is not class V. The boulder garden Little Su., at around 1200cfs is class V, because it has, (and still will), killed at those flows. (wow what rhymes) Much much more consquences, much harder, many severe consquences at high water.

Right on JR, again, great run.
    Last edited by mark oathout; 07-13-2012 at 11:50.