Thread: Berber Fleece Parka

Default Berber Fleece Parka

I came across a great deal on a Cabela's berber fleece parka with Windstopper. It has the old windstopper, which is a LOT better than the new windshear, IMO. I just don't know if I need the parka. I have the pants and regular jacket already. I have a set of wool. What do you think, should I keep it? Will I use it up there?

Cabelas Berber Fleece with Windstopper is what I use up here. A couple layers underneath and I'm fine down to -50 for a few hours.

I am using the pants and the parka this year on the penn for brownies..Windproof is defiantely the way to go, especially when sitting and glassing all day

Default what under it?

The size I got is a little large to be worn alone, but it fits good over a fleece and my berber fleece coat. Is that too much? How much do you wear under the parka to hold a good temperature without looking like a marshmallow?

Smile

b.n.r.;

i am not a big fan of cabela's gear. that being said, i think the berber fleece is one of the better home brand items they have. i like the camo pattern and it is warm. the thing i do not like is that it is very heavy compared to all other fleece. day one fleece is another quality fleece, but like the cabela's it is heavy and not very compressable.

it can have a place for certain situations though and have a place in your hunting closet. i have the berber neck gaitor and the anorak with wind stopper. like said above, it may be good for the peninsula. i am not sure that a mtn. sheep/goat hunt it would be good where space and weight are a premium.

there is another home brand called microtex is a better product. i have the pants and they are windproof, repel burrs are both tough and cheap. they have no stretch to them however.

as for what to wear under the berber. i would wear a 100-200 weight fleece vest with a light to medium patagonia zip t underneath. you can then shed the vest or vent the shirt as necessary. the weight of the above will be determined by the wind , temp and you resistance to cold.

Default A few more questions

Thanks for the insight.

cold zero, I purchased this parka based on a few things. It is the first one I've come across with the "original" Winstopper and it was a size medium, which is hard to comeby for a little guy. I have looked at the microtex stuff they carry and it looks decent, it is hard for me to believe that it blocks the wind and it dries out fast, but there have been many claims that say so. Do you wear the insulated or uninsulated?

What other suggestions do you have? I think I am all set for moose and mountain hunting, but I am nervous about late season stuff (caribou and blacktail). I'm probably okay on the bottoms, but top is what worries.

buck

Thumbs up

THE MICROTEX, is cheap, very durable fabric and synthetic. anything sysnthetic will dry fast. i have hunted kodiak island in the last week of nov with it and it is as windproof as you will need. i only have the pants. for the price, you should have at least one pair.

personally, i like something a little less windproof as i sweat a lot and my thighs get wet. i like some ventilation to come thru the fabric. that is why i like wind resistent pants, not windproof. for the coat/parka, that i like windproof. my legs rarely get cold. a lot of hair.

sure, you should keep the coat. the hunting wardrobe is supposed to get bigger as the years go by. if you dont want the coat, maybe i will take if off your hands?

the bad part about the coat, you must fly and fit it in a pack and it takes up a lot of space. it does not compress like the stuff from barney's.

for shirts;

take a look at the 3sp t neck shirts. very wind proof, lousy color selection.

watch for the soon to be released line of barney's fleece.

sitka gear fleece shirt.

did you want wind proof/resistent or non windxxxxx fleece? did you want wool or fleece or find you dead on the mtn. cotton?