Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: same day fly-hunt on Mountain Men

Default same day fly-hunt on Mountain Men

Just watched the show Mountain Men on TV tonight and they showed Marty flying in and shooting a caribou and flying out the same day. Was sussposed to take place this last spring also.

What happened to not being able to legally take game same day flying?

Really I guess I' am just wondering...

Chris

I wish I had an airplane to do that with, If Flying werent nausiatingly vomitus for me, I can see some real advantage....I wouldnt have spent the whole day repairing my boat and have tired legs from all the walking lately.......I could be a 'Real" Mountain Man then.......just need me a Mountain I guess
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I am pretty sure same day airborn is allowed for certain animals in certain units.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Per the regulation book (page 19 of this years) Only GMU where same day airborne is legal is GMU 22, on the show they state he was less than 100 miles from Fairbanks.... that would put the hunt in GMU 20 or 25 best I can figure out. Also, same day airborne is not allowed on federal land.

Chris

The show is so poorly edited that it is hard to say what actually happened. They certainly give the impression that he shot his caribou after returning and would have been same day airborne. It also mentions at one point that he would have to return for his animal... I have a hard time thinking that a long time Alaskan with a plane that he uses to make his living would not have a firm grasp of the laws when the punishment would likely be losing the aircraft!

Stranger-

you would then have tpo spend two or three days repairing your plane LOL

Chris

I was watching last night in bed and telling the wife the same thing. I'm sure that the fish and game has had 500 calls already. I'm thinking that its just poor editing. But that kind of thing leads to dangerous outcomes. "Gee officer, I thought I could shoot and fly the same day, I saw Marty do it!"
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Would it make a differance if he already had a previous camp set up at that location and was just returning to extend his hunt? My limited understanding was that the rule was intended to prevent people from scouting animals and shooting them that same day. As he had already camped at that location and harvested an animal would that make a differance in the regulation? Interesting scenario-I thought the same as I watched last evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Sheahan View Post
    Would it make a differance if he already had a previous camp set up at that location and was just returning to extend his hunt? My limited understanding was that the rule was intended to prevent people from scouting animals and shooting them that same day. As he had already camped at that location and harvested an animal would that make a differance in the regulation? Interesting scenario-I thought the same as I watched last evening.
    I most definitely would make a difference. The law is pretty clear. You MAY not hunt on the same day that you fly.

Read the Regulations...

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ations.hunting

Same day airborne:
    It is against the law to hunt or help someone else takebig game until 3:00 a.m. the day following the day youhave flown. This does not apply if you have flown on aregularly scheduled commercial or commuter airplane.
    You may hunt deer the same day airborne. In Unit 22(where caribou season is open) you may hunt caribouthe same day you have flown (provided you are 300 feetfrom the airplane) Jan 1 - Apr 15.
    In Units 7, 9-13, 14A, 14B, 15-17, 19-21, 24 and 25 andin any predator control areas, black bears may be takenat permitted bait stations the same day you have flown,provided you are at least 300 feet from the airplane. InUnits 12, 20C, 20E and 21D, brown bears may be takenat permitted bait stations the same day you have flown,provided you are at least 300 feet from the airplane.Same-day-airborne take is not allowed on federal lands.
    Communication equipment may not be used in the tak-ing of game, or to aid in the taking of game, except forground-to-ground communication for locating bison inUnit 20D.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Snyd, I love your quote. I think that is the coolest quote I've read in a long time. I am going to have to borrow that one.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I know it's not the case anymore but prior to the crash of the Mulchatna heard, same day airborne was standard procedure for caribou in that area. Fly around till you saw caribou close to a lake or easy landing area. Hop out, pop a couple, throw them in the plane, and keep going. But I agree with Lujon on this one, I'm sure Marty knew what he was doing.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

No portion of unit 22 is within 100 miles of FBX as he said he was. I honestly think that they took more trips and time because they had quite a load of gear and people. I really just think they were editing it in a way to make it seem like there was a time crunch to add some sort of perceived urgency. Every one of these shows wants to make everything a race against something! Who caught the most crab, who got the most gold, winter is bearing down, etc. Gets a little old! I like the Dick Proenekke video, he works like crazy in a systematic and effective way but then wakes up one day, walks outside and sees a beautiful day so decides to go hiking. That is certainly the life I envision when I think of bush living. Not an embroiled life and death battle consuming every day.

I agree. That trip certainly seemed suspicious. They seemed careful to not shoot any caribou until after they slept there the first night, but did not say why.

They made it look as though he shot the 2nd caribou the same day of his return flight. (example: the rush to get back there, shoot the caribou, clean it, pack it up, and fly out before dark). They may have shot two before he flew the wife and kids out, or he might have been in a unit that allowed such practice.

Would it make a differance if he already had a previous camp set up at that location and was just returning to extend his hunt? My limited understanding was that the rule was intended to prevent people from scouting animals and shooting them that same day. As he had already camped at that location and harvested an animal would that make a difference in the regulation? Interesting scenario-I thought the same as I watched last evening.
    The same day fly and shoot regulations are dependent on when they fly and when they take the animal.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    No portion of unit 22 is within 100 miles of FBX as he said he was. I honestly think that they took more trips and time because they had quite a load of gear and people. I really just think they were editing it in a way to make it seem like there was a time crunch to add some sort of perceived urgency. Every one of these shows wants to make everything a race against something! Who caught the most crab, who got the most gold, winter is bearing down, etc. Gets a little old! I like the Dick Proenekke video, he works like crazy in a systematic and effective way but then wakes up one day, walks outside and sees a beautiful day so decides to go hiking. That is certainly the life I envision when I think of bush living. Not an embroiled life and death battle consuming every day.
    Well said Lujon. Dick Proenekke is the man. I love that guy. Alone in the wilderness is probably the best AK video ever made.

Is anyone here 100% sure or are we speculating? Cuz I know I wasn't on the hunt.

Don't get me wrong, I'm always willing to flame someone, I just pick as choose and we don't have a lot of proven facts here other than a shoddy edited clip.

That being said, ill jump the gun. Wiith what Ted Nugent went through, anyone and everyone should be minding their Ps ad Qs with hunt footage as to not give anyone the impression there was a wrong doing.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Just because they said they were within 100 miles of Fairbanks doesn't mean squat. There is absolutely nothing "real" about these "reality" shows. These shows are produced for passive entertainment, and the producers will tell the viewer whatever they feel is necessary to make the show interesting...that doesn't make it the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    These shows are produced for passive entertainment, and the producers will tell the viewer whatever they feel is necessary to make the show interesting...that doesn't make it the truth.
    As an employee of the company who is the subject of "Flying wild Alaska", I can vouch for the above statement.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Saw that show last night and thought the same thing. I loved how finding 2 deer antler sheds was made into a make or break situation! First time I have seen the show. At least the public is seeing hunting in a light that isn't PETA influenced

I do give them credit for showing the little girl pitching in on the butchering work! Heck we can barely get hunting shows to display anything beyond the hero-shot and super-silver-sentlock-cuddybuck-biologic trophy acceptance speech!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast