Thread: Wheelers at the mouth of the Kenai

Default Wheelers at the mouth of the Kenai

So, we plan to work the north shore of the Kenai with the group we're going with, and possibly run down to the Kasilof. Rumor has it that wheelers are "not allowed" on the north Kenai beach. Is this true?? Or since access is trickier, are there just fewer of them so that's. rumor that started?

It's chaos on the south beach!

Kenai River North Shore Access

The City of Kenai has provided a large day-use parking area and limited overnight RV camping at the end of South Spruce Street. Parking & camping spots are marked. The City of Kenai charges fees for parking and for camping. Tow trucks make regular visits to the area.

Alaska Avenue (beach road near the parking area) is for loading and unloading only! Since this access road is so narrow, RVs are not allowed.

On the north shore, motor vehicles (including ATV/4-wheelers) are allowed only to the west of the vehicle access point (turn to the right). Motor vehicles are not allowed from the vehicle access point east (turning to the left) to the mouth of the river.

Four-wheel-drive is required - anything less is courting disaster and a very expensive tow truck bill!

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...naiSalmon.main

FYI

Yep gr8fl got it corect. The area closed to motorized use is the area most of the dippers go so I would think there would be no point in bringing your wheelers to the north beach.
    Access onto that beach is actually less tricky than the south beach if you ask me. Then again neither one is tricky at all in my book.
    I don't think there is much you can do during a dipnet weekend to get away from any sort of Chaos short of doing something else and coming back mid week.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Got it - thanks! I will have to bring my horse and buggy.

You can drive down the access road on gr8fl's map there for drop off and pickup only.
    That would cut down on the distance needed to haul your gear in/out. Might help you some.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"