Thread: Felt Sole Boots

Default Felt Sole Boots

I didn't run a search on here for this so it may have been covered already. Went out tonight to find my wife a pair of non-felt sole boots this weekend for dipnetting. Tough to find any in her size. But, I was amazed at how many places were still selling felt soles. Fred's and Sports Authority to name a couple. At one of the Sports Authority stores, the manager was upset because they sent him a whole pallet of felt soles. He sent them back, but was told the other store had some in. We went to the other store, they were all felt sole. And the employees there just said "well, that's what the company sends us because they don't read the regs in all 50 states."

My guess is a lot of people are going to get busted for felt soles this year (1) because they didn't read regs, but also (2) because they went and bought themselves a brand new pair of boots that were illegal to use. Wish Fish and Game had some authority to get that stuff off the shelves.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Yeah, it's disappointing. But, they're not illegal to possess, just illegal to use here. And it's up to the individuals to know what they can use.

My dad ran into the same thing when he was an electrical inspector for the Muni. He kept having to red tag residential remodels because the homeowners were using wire that was too small to meet code. After finding out that the big box stores were recommending it to the unwary homeowners, he had a talk with one of the store managers. The manager said, "it's not illegal to sell it, and people can use it outside the Muni, so we're going to keep stocking it". At that point, dad simply asked the manager to inform their employees that it didn't meet code in the Muni, and to please stop recommending it when people come in asking for house wire. The manager said that would be too much trouble. Needless to say, dad walked away very frustrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

There are a lot states that have banned felt soles in the lower US. My big problem is the replacement with rubber cleatsoles is likely not going to work as well. The new pair of Caddis Ultralight eco-grip boots I just bought have holes for metal studs. Anybody tried them yet with or without the studs?

I know that Hope AK Resurrection Creek has one of the slipperiest bunch of rocks with a pretty good current. I'll let you know how they work.

I went to Vibram about 2 yrs ago, get the cleats. If you want to save money, go and get sheet metal screws. Just need to change them more frequently but they are cheap.

They are still only illegal for fishing. Currently still legal for all other uses, including standing in the water right next to fisherman.

Sport Authority will have them on the shelve a long time, right next to the bass lures, turkey targets and wood duck decoys.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    If you want to save money, go and get sheet metal screws. Just need to change them more frequently but they are cheap.
    Great suggestion! What size sheet metal screws? Will 1/4 in. wide by 1/2 in deep work? I'm wondering if 1/2 in. is too long? Maybe 3/8 in deep?

How well did the Vibrams work just by them selves?. There are stream beds in Wyoming that are slicker than snot ( forgive the pun).

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    They are still only illegal for fishing. Currently still legal for all other uses, including standing in the water right next to fisherman.
    I don't know where you got your information but I believe you are sadly mistaken. It is not only written in the fishing regs but also in the hunting regs. I'll look some more but I believe they are illegal period in this state. It simply wouldn't make any sense to just ban fishermen.

Actually Milo is right. It's still legal to wear them while hunting, at least until 2013. Also F&G is still allowed to wear them, as well as miners. It seems that as long as you are not fishing it's still legal to wear them.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

You are correct pertaining to hunting. Guess I was shocked to read anything about it in the hunting regs and missed that the felt ban for hunters is effective Jan. 1 2013. It'll probably just be a matter of time until it does cover everything.

The fishing ban was passed by board of fisheries who only has authority to pass laws affecting fishing. This fishing ban is also only freshwater.
    The hunting ban was passed later by the board of game, who only has authority to pass laws affecting hunting and game.
    Nobody passed a law banning felt for gold mining, bird watching or granola crunching.

It may not seem to make sense, but the boards don't have the authority to regulate other activities (nor should they). The correct solution would be for State Legislature to pass law banning use and/or possession of felt soles state wide. Until that happens, the respective boards have passed the only laws they could.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Oh yeah, source of information;
    State of Alaska Hunting Regulations 2012-2013: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ations.hunting

State of Alaska SouthCentral Fishing Regulations 2012: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...s.sc_sportfish

ADF&G Sport Fishing Press Release Feb 24, 2012: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...1579&year=2012

State of Alaska Legislature: http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/folio.asp