Thread: Sag River hall road raft trip

Default Sag River hall road raft trip

I am looking into the raft trip on the Hall road where you can get dropped off in atigan pass from the road, raft out of the 5-mile zone and meet up with the sag river, and then meet back up with the road at pump station 3. Anyone ever done it or know anybody who has, im looking for any kind of information on the trip.

Cool! How much stick time have you had running nasty water?

Did LarryB recently drop a link to the canyon run?

Below the Canyon still great video! Canyon EEK! Boat ROOM! Walls! ROCK!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Below the Canyon still great video! Canyon EEK! Boat ROOM! Walls! ROCK!

How Nasty are we talking? have any of you guys done it? is there a link to this video? where do you put in at? Please dont hold back i need some info

Hit YouTube.... "1larrybartlett"

Don't know if this will work our not another video Low water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7AiV...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QulzocvAFQQ

I did it 10 years ago (has it really been 10 whole years?) in a 16' Aire Jag/Aire expedition frame. One run does not make me an expert by any means.
    It's a strenuous, technical float. The potential for disaster is high.
    The Atigun Gorge (it's called a gorge for all the obvious reasons) is tight, shallow and very, very rocky. The put-in is placid as are the first few miles. Once you hit the 5 mile limit you're running over exposed, folded shale bedrock for another 3 miles or so (with the rate of decent dropping past 100ft/mile as you go) when the river drops abruptly into a massive boulder pile. Expect to get hung up here every 100 yards or so (or portage). The water is not big through here in Sept (unless there's atypical heavy rains in the headwaters) but I would rate this section Class IV+ for inflated boats due to the maneuvering difficulty.

The confluence with the Sag is fast Class I or II depending on water level, as are the first 10-12 miles of the Sag. Then the water get progressively faster and bigger culminating in a very big, very fast boulder-garden rapid (car sized boulders) just below Accomplishment Creek (river right). Below this rapid is choppy, fast Class II all the way to the take out at Sag River DOT camp (aka Slope Mtn Camp)

It's an amazing trip but not for novices or flatwater paddlers.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I drive the haul road daily and have noticed that all river levels on the slope are very low now...and the bugs are just awful!!

well from the look of that video it looks like it was relatively shallow. I take it through the gorge and through the rougher mountain sections there wasnt much water running through it so that makes me a little more excited to try it... manuevering through a small amount of water in rocks is a lot less intimidating than manuevering through a lot of powerful fast moving water... theres probably not many trees up there so there probably arent any sweepers hanging into the river which is good.... there probably isnt much wood to stop and make a fire it looks like.... also looks like you probably want to take a smaller raft if possible to avoid difficult portages and hang ups in the shallow water.... do you remember how long it took? I definately dont want to get in over my head, but from the looks of the video it looks totally doable, but that doesnt mean the video did the dificulty justice..... I still have to find out where you put in at if anyone knows that would be great....

Put-in is at the bridge Atigun River #2, just north of Pump Station 4.

The folded shale river bottom I mentioned earlier can easily slice open the bottom of an inflatable boat. (ask me how I know)
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by buckkunz View Post
    I am looking into the raft trip on the Hall road where you can get dropped off in atigan pass from the road, raft out of the 5-mile zone and meet up with the sag river, and then meet back up with the road at pump station 3. Anyone ever done it or know anybody who has, im looking for any kind of information on the trip.
    I've floated the Atigun and into Sag several times over the years from the 1980's to just recently. It's a great trip... yet good notion to not underestimate the ever-changing conditions while overestimating your skill-sets, reliance on gear and boat-load.

The last post about "probably this, probably that, if possible"... may bring about my stay conservative side of advice as to say don't get over your head here on personal estimations at just about all water levels that present quite different challenges. Not to relate anything about not doing it -- just to make clear that your posts sound tentative of a boater's comfort zones in class I-II boating and not a whole lot of perspective on this type of water at highs to lows hauling multi-day gear or people.

I'd be happy to speak with you by phone or in person if you like with regards to logistics, time-lines, what skill-sets to experiences you have, and what gear to bring.

My advice is if you find my go-pro hero 2 or any one of the 2 paddles, or three head nets, or 2 wading shoes lost up there in my last adventure can I please have them back? I've found some interesting stuff up there the past couple times I've floated it. Including a zodiak and a couple coolers. It's not for the weak of heart or novice paddler, that's for sure! I might classify the lower sag as bigger water than class II in the numberous boulder gardens too... I don't know it seems to take 16 hours or so paddling. If youve never done a trip like this before it's amazing how fast things go from a nice peaceful float trip to life threatening in seconds. You will be left to your own for rescue as it's very remote. Last trip a friend got careless and hit one of the rock walls and didn't come up for awhile, like I said it takes just seconds for the trip to go south in a hurry, mind your p's and q's.

Sambuck12 is correct --- this part of the Atigun into Sag is a narrow, steeper class III & IV on the mile stretch down the Atigun after-which has class III with bigger water and waves on the Sag. It is a 9 out of 10 for experienced boaters. The boat selection should be along the lines of what you have the most experience in (ie. raft, cataraft, canoe or kayak).

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good Rafting Guidebook that describes the Atigun Gorge/Sag trip?

Quote Originally Posted by ATM View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knows of a good Rafting Guidebook that describes the Atigun Gorge/Sag trip?
    Yes... The GPS Waypoints Guide to the Atigun Gorge & Sag. In terms of typical guidebooks... not really with the exception of older, out of print general descriptions.

Are there any specific questions you have about the run?

Quote Originally Posted by buckkunz View Post
    i got an 18 foot river canoe and i am debating about putting in at the gorge,.. probly wont happen til next year though,.. i also have never done this float before,... i have spent alot of time up on the hall road in the past couple years trying to twang caribou with the bow, but it has been difficult,.. i think it may be due to the fact that i have missed the herds but when i was up there last year i did get lucky and put a cow caribou down,.. my first bow kill and another group of hunters were hatin hella cause they felt like i shot there bou but i know i had spotted the animal first and was the first one out of my truck

Unless you have extensive whitewater canoe experience I would skip the gorge. A canoe would be my last watercraft choice for a class III/IV section of river. Maybe you should use your canoe on a lower section of river to cross and then hike out past everyone else beyond the 5 mile rifle limit.