Thread: WOW! Cabellas just won me over on shipping over Midway!

Talking WOW! Cabellas just won me over on shipping over Midway!

I picked up a Mosin Nagant 7.62 X 54 last winter and got a really good one. The gun dealer I got it from even thought is was never used for more than a parade gun, cuz of minimal wear and perfect rifling in the barrel. I loaded 100 rounds for it during the winter and shot it at Birchwood and it's a tack driver, cept for the ****ty site system on it. Known to be a aim at the privates at 100 yards for a chest shot in war. Cabella's has a stock system and a scope setup for it with a modified bolt to sporterize it for cheap. I ordered the 2 kits, plus a sling kit for my 870 Rem 20 gauge and getting it all for $174 including $16.95 shipping to Alaska. Can't beat that price. Gonna be a fun winter project after loading bullets the last 2 winters for something to do. Lord knows I have enough bullets, just need more guns to load for now.........LOL!
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Default When done.

Should look somewhat like this when done.

My Mosin done.jpg

Sounds like you got a good deal. Glad Cabelas treats Alaskans fairly. The way shipping is on most things, you'd think we were in a foreign country!
    The Mosins are fun and cheap to shoot, and modding them is fun also (though you will always run into folks who will call you a sacrelig for doing so.
    The ATI stocks are pretty good, but IMO their scope mount is difficult to mount. I'd have a smith do it if I had to do it again. Also, beware the cut/tap/screw bolt handle mod. It is known to be a real buggaboo. You can get a fast turn-around welded bolt mod on e-bay for a reasonable price which you will thank yourself for doing when/if the screw fails.

Cabelas has 5$ shipping on any orders over 150 right now, even to AK. 72HOT is the promo code

The Mosins are fun and cheap to shoot, and modding them is fun also (though you will always run into folks who will call you a sacrelig for doing so.
    True but with exceptions. Its OK to bubba an already bubbaed weapon. Its OK to bubba a run of the mill Mosin, but sacriledge to do it with a Finn or Imperial.

I tried to order some Halibut rods from Cabelas a few years ago and they wanted $20 something for shipping plus $50 extra cause it was oversized.
    I found a company in Ohio who sent me the same rods with free shipping and the price was identicle.. I called the company to confirm and spoke with the owner.
    He said he added $25 to each rod price to cover his free shipping guarantee. He said imagine how much Cabelas makes when they add the same $25 he did and them charged me the $20 something regular shipping and the the $50 surcharge for a long item.
    I am glad you got a good deal but Cabelas isn't always the best or cheapest place on the net.
    I think their main problem is they only use UPS and there are often cheaper options out there.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I seem to recall that there are several bolt mods for the mosin and they are not all created equal. I would do some research on that if you haven't already before getting to far into it.

If you have a Cabellas credit card, you get free shipping until 10-1-12!!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default Got her done!

I went with my own bolt mod to fit the ATI scope mount. I maybe could shorten the handle a bit, but decided I'll try it this way for awhile. The longer bolt handle might be ok for hunting mitts is what I was thinking.
    Here's a couple pics of it finished.
    IMG_0964.JPGIMG_0967.JPG

Nice job. Like that bolt handle.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Nice job. Like that bolt handle.
    Thanks sayak, I may shorten the handle a bit later, but that's an easy fix if I decide it's too long. In any case, the hard part is done and it all works perfect. I worked up my own loads for the gun about 5 months ago and they are kickars for accuracy and speed. When I get her range sited with shorter barrel I'll know better if my loads are gonna still be dead on. If so, I'll publish my load data in the loaders forum.