Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New 8mm Rem Mag

Default My New 8mm Rem Mag

My New Remington 700 BDL in 8mm Rem Mag - that I acquired through a trade. The rifle was first purchased in the early 1980s and has had 10 rounds fired through it since the date of purchase and as you can see it is in excellent condition. I am looking forward to developing my loads and using it on some big game and long shots this coming fall.

I put a Leupold FX 6x36mm LR Duplex scope on top. The back and front open sights are not noticeable at all when viewing through my scope, yet it is still a low mount. I wanted to keep the back and front open sights on the rifle in case I damage my scope on a hunt or have to do a follow up in thick cover on a wounded animal. That is why I used Weaver mounts and a set of Quad Lock Weaver type rings so I can detach my scope. I have made a 610yd shot on a deer with a fixed 6 power scope so the power is fine for big game out to that distance and have taken game a little less than 15yds from a tree stand with a fixed six with no problem.

Left to right - 7mm08, 300Wby, 8mm Rem Mag, 338 Win mag

Some pictures of the rifle.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Looks just like mine....except mine is well worn........lol.

I load 200 grn. Nosler partitions. w/ H4831

It's been a great gun....

Have Fun...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks, I know I will have fun with it especially hunting with it.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

A beautiful rifle indeed! I've been hunting with mine since I was 13. Shooting 200 grain barnes triple shocks out of it. I dumped the wood stock years ago and got a synthetic.

Thanks, going to take it out this week sometime and do my load work up. I think that is something that you hunted with an 8mm Rem Mag at 13. Cool, thanks for sharing.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I'll be interested to see what you come up with. A bud and I each got one back in the year of release (memory fails), and ultimately were kinda disappointed. Not in the rifles or the calibers, but in both the bullets and powders available in those days. No premiums, even Noslers available, and the 8mm pills available just didn't seem tough enough on game at closer ranges. And the "slow" powders we had to work with (mostly H-4831, IMR-4831 and IMR-4350) seemed too fast. The big case just "felt" like it would gain a lot from much slower powders.

All subjective, but the end result was a feeling that the round was ahead of its time in terms of available components. We both dumped our rifles after a couple of years and several thousand rounds, but contemporary components keep nagging me that we should have hung on.

Yes, I will be using 200gr Noseler Accubond, Partition and A-Frame, along with 220gr Sierra SBT and 220gr A-Frame. Might later consider one of the Barnes bullets. I will be using RL-25, RL-22, IMR7828ssc, MRP to begin with. It will be a long process due to weather, components yet to get and work schedule, but will start tomorrow with the 220gr Sierra and RL-25 and RL-22.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Beautiful rifle, very classy looking. I bet you got a good deal on it, eh?

Yes, I really did and it was much more of clean rifle than I originally thought, I was blessed with this one.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Best of luck. It was my go to rifle for every species up here in Alaska. My rifle has put a lot of critters on the ground. I found that the wood stock would greatly alter the accuracy in different weather, thus the reason I switched to synthetic. Hopefully yours does not do that as the wood stock is beautiful. I've had mine for 29 years and it needs some love that is for sure. I need to get it parkerized for starters. Best of luck with it!

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    A beautiful rifle indeed! I've been hunting with mine since I was 13. Shooting 200 grain barnes triple shocks out of it. I dumped the wood stock years ago and got a synthetic.
    What synth did you go with? I'm on the border about it. Years ago I glass bedded mine, and floated the barrel, but recently I tried the ol' dollar bill thing and it didn't make it far. So something has happened in there over the years. The stock is about ready to be redone, but I just can't decide what I want to do......I like the synth for what it does, but love the classy wood stock. Even though the barrel is now touching the forearm again, I shot 1" groups (@100yds) with it recently with some old Rem core lock slugs I've had and just wanted to shoot up for the brass. So that was good to know.

BTW...I do have a box of 250 grn Barnes originals (original X) that I don't really need if interested. A friend of mine found them for me years ago and sent them up. I don't know if you can find them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    BTW...I do have a box of 250 grn Barnes originals (original X) that I don't really need if interested. A friend of mine found them for me years ago and sent them up. I don't know if you can find them anymore.
    Interesting note- My bud shot those and some Barnes 275's through his with surprising accuracy. He never got around to popping a moose with them, but carried the gun loaded with the heavier version in bear country. I just checked and Hawk Bullets makes a 280 grain RN.

Thanks northway, appreciate it.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Brown Bear, sent you a PM
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

4merguide, I sent you a PM
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    4merguide, I sent you a PM
    Got your pm and replied. After looking at the 250s they are indeed the "Original" Barnes, but they are NOT the original "X" bullet. My mistake. These are leaded. I think only when Barnes went to the solid copper did they start calling them the X bullet....???

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Got your pm and replied. After looking at the 250s they are indeed the "Original" Barnes, but they are NOT the original "X" bullet. My mistake. These are leaded. I think only when Barnes went to the solid copper did they start calling them the X bullet....???
    I sent you a pm
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

4merguide, you PM box is full
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I checked with my bud, and he said there were two 196 grain bullets in his kit, both RNs, and both notable. The Norma had a really tough jacket and held up better than the usual jackets from the US. The real standout though was the one from RWS. It was one of those with an inner jacket running about 2/3 of the way up the bullet, along with the outer. He popped a couple of elk and one moose with it and reported Partition-like penetration. This was in the days before Nosler made an 8mm, so that was notable. Dunno about current sources of either.

Beautiful "Big 8"!

FWIW I had contacted Sierra about the 220gr GameKing for my "Little 8" (325wsm). They call it their "Long Range" bullet. Long boat tail. They said they designed it specifically for the Big 8, that it has a thicker jacket than most other GK's. I load it to 2800fps in my Little 8 and shot a griz with it at 165yds. Complete pass throughs one of which shattered the spine first and exited the above his belly. I did'nt find and pieces of jacket etc. Nothing to indicate the bullet came apart. At least at that velocity the 220GK held up well. 200gr AB's at 2950 have performed good for me also. I have not used the 200gr partitions but do have some.

How fast do you figure you'd push the 200's and 220's with modern powders? That thing has a HUGE case!

I almost picked up an old box of those Barnes 250's at a gunshow a while back but the guy wanted too much for them. Plus it's probably too long/heavy a bullet for my Little 8 anyways. Seems like it would be a natural in that Big 8.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast