Thread: Rifle Pix Finally

Default Rifle Pix Finally

Okay here they are. Barrel is a Krieger No. 17 contour finished at 30" from the face of the receiver, muzzle diameter is exactly 0.930". This was built by Greg Tannel of Gre-Tan Rifles in...Rifle Colorado.
    Right side:

Left side:

Cartridge with the barrel info. 0.340" neck and the case turned 0.337" loaded. That is a Berger 210 VLD at 2.933" base to ogive. The recoil lug off to the right is 0.350" thick, I don't think it will flex at all.

This shows the bolt bushings installed on the bolt. You almost cannot see them but they're about 0.002-0.003" tall so when the bolt is closed it has zero clearance in the raceway locking the bolt up tight so no flex to the bolt.

Greg opened the front receiver to allow better loading of cartridges.

This is his work on the rear bridge.

The business end. Perfect.

Here is that same shell loaded in the magazine. There is actually room in front of the bullet. I will polish the feedramp until it looks like it is chrome plated. Not because I need to, but because it will help make the shells feed slicker'n lizard poop on a hot brass pole.

There she is. And no, I have not weighed her yet since I did not remember to buy a set of swivels for the thing!
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Nice pics! I detect a sliver of blue sky in a couple of the pics, we've been continual rain for the last week or so. Good idea to go SS......
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Beautiful rifle! Curious as to the short forearm; free floatability?

Sayak, the forearm looks short because the barrel is 30" long. The action is pillar bedded and the barrel completely free-floating.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

I am looking forward to seeing pics with the optic mounted. The large (length and diameter) do make the stock look short- it is a sweet looking rifle. Hope it shoots as well as it looks.

Very nice looking rifle ya got there. I'm a Remington man myself. I've always had a thing for shorter barrels, 20-22" suit me just fine. i am curious if this rifle is for shooting off the bench or practical hunting purposes. It seems like it would be uncomfortable to carry for much of a distance. Though I imagine with that long tube on there it is capable of shooting as far as you are able as a rifleman.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

I di not order swivels as I thought I had a pair. I do, but on my shotgun and it is a grad taking down the sling. All those loops. So I order a pair of Uncle Mike's 1 1/4" heavy duty swivels. Should be here next week. Scope will be Nightforce 5.5-22x with NP1-RR reticle. The scope alone will add 2 pounds. It will be kind of on the heavy side.

I did not order swivels as I thought I had a pair. I do, but on my shotgun and it is a drag taking down the sling; all those loops. So I ordered a pair of Uncle Mike's 1 1/4" heavy duty swivels. Should be here next week. Scope will be a Nightforce 5.5-22x56mm with NP1-RR reticle. The scope alone will add 2 pounds. The total weight will be kind of on the heavy side.

P.S. Fixed spelling, grammatical, and punctuation errors in above post. Just goes to show what a lack of caffeine can do.

Knowing this would be heavy, I Dremeled out a cavity in the shape of an inverted cone for each of the swivel posts and set them in metal reinforced epoxy. At least they won't pull out when I'm snowmachining.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I like the stock.

I pronounce it Tuff, Functional, & Looks Good.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Sent off the cashiers check for the scope. A Nightforce 5.5-22x56mm with the NP-1RR reticle. I would also order rings for the bases, but do not know the actual physical outside diameter of the objective. If I had that, I could call Leupold and get rings.

I also found I had no strain gages for my Pressure Trace and had to order those too. Argh!
    AND(!) as if this isn't enough, I went digging into my storage to look for an annealing turntable I made so I can anneal all the brass. I want to do this as I have 10 pieces with bullets in them from testing neck diameter and length stuff. I want to start all brass having the same neck tension. SSSOOOOooooooo...I had to order a small gearmotor and switch! But the good thing to this is the motor rotates at 30rpm which is slower than what my other table rotated. That one was a little too fast. If you didn't have the case centered, it would fly off.

I'll be able to start playing next week once everything gets here.

SWIVELS!? This looks like a crew served weapon! You need a pintle installed for a M2 type tripod!