Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak BB Oct 25

Default Kodiak BB Oct 25

I have had my trip booked for awhile now (NR) and i feel i have a pretty good idea of a pack list, and yes my outfitter also provided one, i have deer/duck hunted there before so i have pretty good feel for what to bring but thought i might ask-if you have been there and could of brought something you forgot, what one thing or two were those items?
    Thanks from Iowa

Well I didn't forget these but they may come in handy. flashlight, duct tape lighter, trash bags,550 cord,extra pins for backpack,over the counter meds for head ache, stomach cramps etc.
    The list can go on. Talk to outfitter and no need to duplicate.
    Kodiak Brown Bear hunt, doesn't get any better than that. Be patient and hope for a good one. most of all have fun.

Plenty of warm clothes and boots. Good rain gear.

Be prepared to be sitting for 12 hours out of the day in rain, snow, sleet, strong wind, etc. Did I mention to bring warm clothing and boots?

Rain gear, that is the one thing I am looking to get new, I have several gore tex styles-Sitka, cabelas, and I have a set of helly Hansen.
    I am thinking about going with a guide length helly coat? Thoughts.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    Rain gear, that is the one thing I am looking to get new, I have several gore tex styles-Sitka, cabelas, and I have a set of helly Hansen.
    I am thinking about going with a guide length helly coat? Thoughts.
    ?
    The guide length helly would be a good idea. I would bring two sets of rain gear, that way you can hang one up to dry out while wearing the second one. I hate putting on rain gear that is wet on the inside and they all get wet eventually either due to rain or sweat.

Yep, thought i would use gore tex for hiking and helly for sitting, i also picked up a pair of lacross insulated hip boots. Thanks for your input i am really looking forward to this hunt, ever since the last time i was there a couple years ago end of november into december and my son and i had a run in with a big bruin at less than 50 yds. i cant get the brown bear out of my head!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    The guide length helly would be a good idea. I would bring two sets of rain gear, that way you can hang one up to dry out while wearing the second one. I hate putting on rain gear that is wet on the inside and they all get wet eventually either due to rain or sweat.
    "Dry out" that's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by hntr View Post
    "Dry out" that's funny.
    X2 yes what is "Dry Out" in Kodiak mean??
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Booze and a book for those weather days.

It does stop raining in Oct, well I mean the rain turns to snow. Ask me how I know... LOL
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by hntr View Post
    "Dry out" that's funny.
    You add enough single burner stoves running and a propane lantern and things start to "dry out", then again all of this helps when you don't pitch the tent in the flood zone or fail to use proper tent stakes and your tent decides to fly away while you are packing a load back to it. Wait a minute you were there and lived through all those fun times with me!

I started to dry out by the time I caught the last plane home.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Booze and a book for those weather days.

It does stop raining in Oct, well I mean the rain turns to snow. Ask me how I know... LOL
    Yeah and bring enough of both otherwise your hunting partner will have to start pilfering No worries though thats what I paid him in for the backcountry "Emeril Live" cooking show he displays on hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Yeah and bring enough of both otherwise your hunting partner will have to start pilfering No worries though thats what I paid him in for the backcountry "Emeril Live" cooking show he displays on hunts.
    Yep on bringing both of those! And if your refering to all the pics of "stids" food, man he looks like he has it down and enjoys all that alaska has to offer, and oh yea i plan to get wet! did i mention i've been there before? Rain and snow and 40+ wind that trip!

I was going to say ear plugs, but with giant bears roaming around I'm not so sure. The guy that went hunting with me last snored like a... a... well - something that snores really loud.

socket tip driver and short screws to put in the bottom of yer boots soles for traction. My guide on Kodiak in '06 taught me that one... after we were there slipping and falling and using those fancy words we learned in basic training.

wide brimmed hat , rsain going down the back of yer neck does keep you arelt for that perfect shot!

{please frgivve typing, still aint got visioon back.}

Chris

Couple things, I need new waterproof gloves, and a rain cover for my badlands pack, any ideas ?
    And do you think I could get those at cy's or Mack's while I am there?

Make sure you use a good defog/antifog on your Bino's and scope. Of course good binos. leave the range finder home(Because you should get a shot under 150 yards). AND THE MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER>... THE HIKING POLES!!!

If you have the extra weight available one of those double bull archery blinds or similar would be awesome to use at your glassing point near camp. I'm just passing this on, Russell Knight (taxidermist) told me about it when he was out on Kodiak. Could sit in there not get wet remember to stake it out though. Kodiak gets a little breezy lol
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    Couple things, I need new waterproof gloves, and a rain cover for my badlands pack, any ideas ?
    And do you think I could get those at cy's or Mack's while I am there?
    Latest hand gear. Komperdell Alpines. Neoprene with merino wool lining. These babies are the cats ass. If you're stopping in ANC hit up Barney's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Latest hand gear. Komperdell Alpines. Neoprene with merino wool lining. These babies are the cats ass. If you're stopping in ANC hit up Barney's.
    Thanks I will, I did order a rain cover for my badlands I didn't realize they came out with there own, last hunt last oct. in new Mexico elk I didn't need, again thx.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast