Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Village Inn a "gun free zone"

Forum Sponsor

Default Village Inn a "gun free zone"

..So as I was leaving Village Inn Last night i noticed they had posted a NO FIREARMS sign next to their front door. So I asked them about it. This was their responce:

Steven, I think you will find that most public places, including City Hall and State Buildings, also restrict carrying of weapons in their buildings. We took a measured look at everyone's rights vs everyone's safety and chose the policy we... have. Even though MOST people who carry are responsible, there is a fringe group that will go out drinking while armed. We felt that it was best to not allow that possibility in our restaurants, as we are open so late. It was not an easy decision, but has been made.

WELL I GUESS WE ALL KNOW WHERE NOT TO GO EAT FROM NOW ON!!
    Share this with your friends and Remember to call and tell them that you are going somewhere else to eat because of this policy.
    Steven Untiet
    Alaska Custom Firearms
    (907) 349-GUNS

Quote Originally Posted by suntiet View Post
    ..So as I was leaving Village Inn Last night i noticed they had posted a NO FIREARMS sign next to their front door. So I asked them about it. This was their responce:

Steven, I think you will find that most public places, including City Hall and State Buildings, also restrict carrying of weapons in their buildings. We took a measured look at everyone's rights vs everyone's safety and chose the policy we... have. Even though MOST people who carry are responsible, there is a fringe group that will go out drinking while armed. We felt that it was best to not allow that possibility in our restaurants, as we are open so late. It was not an easy decision, but has been made.

WELL I GUESS WE ALL KNOW WHERE NOT TO GO EAT FROM NOW ON!!
    Share this with your friends and Remember to call and tell them that you are going somewhere else to eat because of this policy.
    Better yet, share this with your friends and insist that they and their friends don't ever act irresponsibly as was identified by this business owner. Defending your ability to carry is one thing, living up to the responsibility it entails is another.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Better yet, share this with your friends and insist that they and their friends don't ever act irresponsibly as was identified by this business owner. Defending your ability to carry is one thing, living up to the responsibility it entails is another.
    So by this same thinking we should not allow anyone to drive a car on our streets, even though they are licensed to do so, because some people, a fringe group, do drink and drive a car?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    So by this same thinking we should not allow anyone to drive a car on our streets, even though they are licensed to do so, because some people, a fringe group, do drink and drive a car?
    Am afraid you very much misinterpret me, sir. I would say, using your analogy, that we should damand that our friends and associates not drink and drive. Defending your freedom to drive a car is one thing, living up to the responsibility it entails is another.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by suntiet View Post
    Even though MOST people who carry are responsible, there is a fringe group that will go out drinking while armed. We felt that it was best to not allow that possibility in our restaurants, as we are open so late. It was not an easy decision, but has been made.
    I've no objection to any legal practice a private business chooses to embrace, so I've no bone to pick with Village Inn's and its decision. I will say that its decision is based on wives' tales and nonsense. Their argument has been brandished since CCW laws have been introduced across the nation and over and over it has been shown to be rooted in myth and imaginations. CCW laws have not caused the mayhem that some "experts" proclaimed were the inevitable result of arming an untrained and unbridled public--in fact their is good evidence to suggest that CCW creates a more responsible & safer public. Private businesses can make any policy they want, but I think it is telling that they form such a policy based on grossly inaccurate information. Needless to say, I'll not be patronizing their establishment, but I doubt they'll either notice nor care........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Their food sucks anyway, I go to Leroys

As far as I am concerned, private businesses should be allowed to discriminate against whoever they would like. If that happens to be gun owners, so be it. Ultimately, discrimination is likely to be bad for business. They either accept the costs of their policy, or they change when those costs become excessive. We all have the power to decide which businesses we will patronize. Withholding our dollars is a fairly effective method of persuasion.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Both parties have a choice and Right to their choice
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Knowing that no one is armed in the establishment opens up the establishment for crimes that could have been deterred. I for one will avoid the establishment in order to avoid becoming a victim of a criminal that knows that the establishment's patrons aren't armed to defend themselves.
    This is why I avoid going to the Sully and other establishments that also ban personal carry.
    Last edited by OKElkHunter; 07-12-2012 at 15:43. Reason: additional comment
    ďDon't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Those signs are all over and mean nothing under Alaska law . . . just tells me to eat at a joint that is smart enough not to post a meaningless sign that only surve to tick people off.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    Withholding our dollars is a fairly effective method of persuasion.
    Well said...one or two folks are statistically insignificant, a few hundred customers a month WILL get noticed by the owner.

I do support the right of private businesses to restrict any sort of behavior in their establishments...I also support their right to bear the economic burdens of their decisions.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

What, are they gonna frisk me?
    I don't open carry, so I'll eat there because I like the place and I actually run into folks I know from "the village". I will tell them on the way out that their policy is absurd . I don't think they'll fuss if they want a tip.

Why is it such a big deal?

I don't see an annual CCW ***** fest over not being able to carry at the State Fair. If someone doesn't allow it, carry on- its their choice and as responsible gun owners, we should respect that rather than nit pick it.

There food sucks anyways, and the late night crowd that I recall was all closing Ike bar hoppers who have at times caused trouble from drinking.

Your rights aren't being stripped because a public establishment on private property simply says there not allowed.

Either pack it and be quiet or leave it in the truck. Responsible gun owners are and should be law abiding gun owners. That's what separates us from the punks. Right?

Crises diverted!!!!!!

good post twb........ + a few points. (confirmed if you check your rep points) Crybabies who can't be rambo in a freakin restaurant.......boohoo. You can't cowardly hide behind a gun in every instant of life.

Their food is crap anyways, grow some taste, grow some Alaskan Pride and eat a bigger better breakfast at Alaskan owned Gwenie's or Peggy's Much bigger portions, cheaper and tastier than that corporate crap food.

Villiage Inn can do as they wish. I have no problem with that. I also can do as I wish. I choose not to eat there. I don't carry yet so the fact that I can't carry there is not a problem for me. My decision here is to either support the resturant by eating there or support the person that wants to carry when they are dining out. Pretty easy choice for me. Keep in mind that the fringe group that goes out drinking while armed aren't going to pay attention to a sign if they are willing to break the law of drinking while in possession of a firearm anyway. So the sign is apparently just for the law abiding citizen not the fringe group armed drunk. We as gun owners better learn to stick together on this kind of thing as the antigun crowd is very well organized. Anyway, thank you for the info Suntiet.

And it's always the antics of the few that affect the masses, unfortunately.

Something to ponder though- if you were to walk around to every single business in town with 2 big decals for their storefront door. One reading We Support the 2nd Amendment, and another stating No Firearms Allowed....what sort of percentage do you think we'd see?

My point, is most businesses likely don't have that sort of thing come to mind. So making a big deal of it may have folks rethinking it!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I think it IS a serious matter. A beeg deel, if you will, but one that has gone so far that it can't be changed easily, which makes it even more serious.

It seems, we have a right to use a firearm to protect ourselves, in some places but not in others.

I accept it because it's better than what we had before, but I don't like it, and I don't like businesses that are so stupid as to deny the right.

When customers, and employees MAY CC, it is a deterrent, to violent crime. When they can't, the place becomes a potential target.

The reasoning behind banning firearms is illogical, and irresponsible as to the safety of their employees, their customers, and the public in general.

Those who make such rules, are too timid to think for themselves, and just go with the flow, and they often get that wrong too.

Iím glad to know this about The Village Inn, and Iíll NOT darken their door, anymore, and Iím glad I didnít very often before.

We need to act on these things. You never know how much difference it will make.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

While Village Inn has the right to set whatever policies they like concerning firearms, he did give you some false information. Carry of firearms is not restricted at city hall or other municipal buildings, except as allowed by state law (schools, jail). The municipal ordinance was repealed because it violated state law.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Airports are gun free zones. Schools are gun free zones. Lots of no gun zones. Ya just deal with it, sucky as it is.

Besides, The Village Inn at 3am is trouble waiting to happen. And again, their food sucks too.

If anybody is truly committed to 24/7 carry, I'll give ya a great price on a Seecamp .380

Keep in mind that the fringe group that goes out drinking while armed aren't going to pay attention to a sign if they are willing to break the law of drinking while in possession of a firearm anyway. So the sign is apparently just for the law abiding citizen not the fringe group armed drunk. We as gun owners better learn to stick together on this kind of thing as the antigun crowd is very well organized.
    Ah yes, the time honored mantra that we gun owners better stick together... What does that mean, exactly? That we should embrace and defend the significant percentage of us who are in fact NOT responsible gun owners? Do we on one hand toss out the mantra that we have to stick together, while on the other hand dismissing the irresponsible/unlawful gun owners as merely an insignificant "fringe group"? Fringe group they are not. They can be found every weekend and most weekday evenings at any informal shooting area in Alaska; sitting in lawnchairs, surrounded by beer bottles or cans, shooting up glass, appliances, abandoned cars... These types are everywhere. You can't swing a dead cat around here without smacking one. So don't tell me we should ignore them, or dismiss them as insignificant in number. And don't tell me we should stick together with the likes of them, for fear that the evil anti gun crowd will overpower us. We have met the enemy and the enemy is us. We can recognize that, and work hard to clean up our own ranks, or we can stick our heads in the sand and pretend that large numbers of us are not irrisponsible/unlawful pigs. Deamonizing the "anti's", or the the corporate chain restaurant, is a cop out.
    #Resist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast