Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How has the halibut fishing out of Homer been

Default How has the halibut fishing out of Homer been

I head down for two weeks starting Saturday. How has the halibut fishing in Homer been this summer?

On my boat we have caught a lot of fish. The biggest was ~ 45# or so.
    The one trip we caught probably 30 fish in 3 hours of fishing.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Are the cod thick this year again?

Fishing was GREAT last weekend out of Homer. Kept 20 halibut in two days, realesed another 8. We hooked into three irish lords, no cod.

2 weekends in a row limits of halibut, 2 irish lords, 1 cod, 1 lingcod in the same spot
    hook, line, sinker, done.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Are the cod thick this year again?

34 Halibut kept for us and over 15-20 released and we caught maybe 6 cod total and a couple of skates.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I head down for two weeks starting Saturday. How has the halibut fishing in Homer been this summer?
    I'd have to say it's been a little lackluster for the most part. I've pulled into my boat well over a couple of hundred halibut in the last couple of months and haven't had any problem at all getting limits for all of my clients, but generally it seems as though the fish are smaller than average. I've been fishing quite a few of my favorite spots and where I typically will get a lot of 20 to 40 pounders in a particular day I've been getting more in the 10 to 25 lb. range. And that seems to be a problem all around. I looked into the disposal bin at the fish cleaning station at the top of ramp 4 a week ago and there were about 200 or more carcasses in there and I didn't see a single one that looked to be over 20 lbs. And other captains I've spoken to have echoed that sentiment. Seems like there is a large propensity for smaller fish. Finding bigger ones is possible but you have to work a little harder at it. And if you find the right spot you can pull 30 fish up to the boat in short order, but most of them are going to be little chickens. If you want to see a good representation of what I've been catching you can see it on my website.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I been out a couple times too. Really small fish this year. we did manage about a 50 lber and that was awesome. Everything else was 15 and under. But lots of little ones and few junk fish.

Got my first one on my own down there last night. It was only about 35-40 pounds but a good fat healthy fish. Dont need much more than that for eating anyway.halibut 3.jpg

If anyone has some GPS coordinates they wouldnt mind sharing that arent too long of runs for halibut fishing I would greatly appreciate it as well. You can PM them to me. I dont have a large boat so 40 mile hauls are out of the question. I think I ran about 20 or so for this one.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

We were out on the eastern radius of the compass rose today and got 9 decent halibut (I miscounted and thought we had 10!) in fairly short order and tossed back about a dozen or so that were on the smaller side. The smallest we kept was about 12 lbs. and the biggest was 22 lbs. We had a couple of really big rod bender takedowns that threw the hook about 5 seconds after the take. Not a single "mushy" in the bunch either. A couple were on the chalky side, but definitely firm and edible.

We picked through at least 25 to 30 halibut today to get 6 decent ones. But still, spent hours doing drifts through one of my favorite spots that I've typically gotten plenty of 30 to 60 pounders from and the biggest was around 25 lbs. Two were on the "chalky" side, but certainly not by any means "mushy".
    IMG_4266.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    We picked through at least 25 to 30 halibut today to get 6 decent ones. But still, spent hours doing drifts through one of my favorite spots that I've typically gotten plenty of 30 to 60 pounders from and the biggest was around 25 lbs. Two were on the "chalky" side, but certainly not by any means "mushy".
    IMG_4266.jpg
    When you say drifting do you mean just letting the boat flow with the current or under engine power? Just curious. Im fairly new to fishing halibut and Ive just been doing so anchored up and moving around every few hours if I dont produce a bite.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Default Homer Halibut

Attachment 61446
    Last week we fished several days with friends from Calif. We limited each day but the average was smaller than last year.
    We did manage to get 3 over 30 1 at 45 and 1 at 135.

In 4 summers here this was my first one over 100lbs.
    I like to drift fish using a 6-ft sea anchor tied off to the stern corner.
    The one spot we anchored we hooked a big fish and lost it.
    It was hooked using a single speed 4/0 reel. He could not pull it up against the current. It may have been a big skate.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    When you say drifting do you mean just letting the boat flow with the current or under engine power? Just curious. Im fairly new to fishing halibut and Ive just been doing so anchored up and moving around every few hours if I dont produce a bite.
    I'll either just drift with my motors off if it's not at all windy, or if there's even a slight breeze I'll put one of my motors in reverse and run it at anywhere from 600 rpms up to 900 to keep the wind from pushing the boat too hard. If you feather it enough you'll find the "sweet spot" that will keep you "in place" in the current. Of course the danger in that is getting a line wrapped in the prop, which does happen, but if you're real careful it works like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiderunner View Post
    Attachment 61446
    Last week we fished several days with friends from Calif. We limited each day but the average was smaller than last year.

It was hooked using a single speed 4/0 reel. He could not pull it up against the current. It may have been a big skate.
    Are you sure on that weight? That sure LOOKS like it's bigger than 135 or am I looking at it wrong? By the chart in the tide book a 135 would be 64 inches, which would put the person standing next to it as being maybe 5 ft. tall or shorter.

I recognize those fish!.. Had a great time fishing with you Dave. Hope to get down there again and have some more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    IMG_4266.jpg

Charterboat Operator

Attachment 61446

time for gun range practice!! you are NOT supposed to shoot the cheeks!! ha ha, nice fishy.

We did not weight it.
    It was just over 64 inches.
    The gills are cut and it is hanging the the jaw, it makes the fish look longer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPaladin View Post
    I recognize those fish!.. Had a great time fishing with you Dave. Hope to get down there again and have some more fun.
    Yeah, you probably thought there was something fishy about the pic. Oh wait, you caught a good percentage of them! LOL! Glad to have fished with you.

We did not weight it.
    It was just over 64 inches.
    The gills are cut and it is hanging the the jaw, it makes the fish look longer.
    Well, whatever its actual weight, NICE FISH! Congrats.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast