Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor man's lobster

Default Poor man's lobster

Have heard about people making poor mans lobster from ling cod and want to give it a try. Heard boiling it in 7-up works. What are some recipes for this? Does anyone do it with any other fish? I spose any white fleshed fish would do?
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

I've heard of it being made from burbot. Haven't seen or tasted this, just heard from a friend.
    Dear whatever doesn't kill me, I'm strong enough now. Thanks.

We have done it with halibut. It's ok dipped in melted butter (what wouldn't be).

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    ...Heard boiling it in 7-up works...
    Aw man, why would anyone want to do something like that to a perfectly wonderful piece of fish?
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Aw man, why would anyone want to do something like that to a perfectly wonderful piece of fish?
    Cuz I want to try poor man's lobster with it. If you know a better way to make poor man's lobster, please, post it.

Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. in Winter, Trapper Creek in Summer

A real true poor mans Lobster is made with Monkfish Tails. Its texture and taste really are Lobster like

It does work good with Halibut. I haven't tried the 7-up but boiling it after adding sugar and salt to the water works good.
    Roust-A-Bout lure company
    Handcrafted fishing lures made right here in Alaska!
    Roust-a-boutlures@hotmail.com

Supporting Member

Default Poor man's lobster . . .

Here you go, a good recipe from Ed's Kasilof Seafoods: http://www.kasilofseafoods.com/Seafo...ns-lobster.htm

There are likely scores of recipes for poor man's lobster, but all essentially boil the fish in sugar and salt water. I've eaten halibut done this way, and it's good. Best I ever had though was lake trout back in Michigan . . better than lobster.

And here's one more:

Hmmm... just make sure you don't have a jelly halibut, or you'll end up with very salty/sweet fish stock!
    The smaller that government becomes, the bigger my support for it will be. The opposite is also true.

I tried it with burbot.....it didn't taste like lobster. It was still good though.

I’ve tried a bunch of different “poor man lobster” recipes and not one tasted like lobster. Most were good but were not lobster. The only thing I’ve come across that really taste like lobster that isn’t, would be spot shrimp fresh out of the pot. Wait a day and they taste like just shrimp, but take it out of the pot and stick it in the steamer…

So, ...spot shrimp fresh from the pot taste just like lobster (which is typically god knows how many days out of the pot), but spot shrimp, don't really taste like shrimp until they're at least a day out of the pot....and boiling some fish in 7-up may or may not make them taste just like lobster...

Next I suppose someone is going to claim that Bud tastes just like beer.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    So, ...spot shrimp fresh from the pot taste just like lobster (which is typically god knows how many days out of the pot), but spot shrimp, don't really taste like shrimp until they're at least a day out of the pot....and boiling some fish in 7-up may or may not make them taste just like lobster...

Next I suppose someone is going to claim that Bud tastes just like beer.
    Your comments are not constructive. At all. If you have a recipe to post, please do. Everyone else has been helpful except yourself.

Buttweiser?
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I've done it a couple of ways with both Ling and Halibut, one was just straight sugar water the other was 7-up, 7-up is the way to go for sure.

I cut the pieces about 1"by 2" then just get the 7-up boiling, takes awhile on the stove, I do it in a pot with my propane cook stove, once boiling drop in chunks 5 or 6 at a time, any more than that and it cools the 7-up to fast, when they start floating scoop em out dip in butter, I think its mighty tasty and does taste alot like Lobster.
    Cheeks are the best this way they seem to hold together better.

Your comments are not constructive. At all. If you have a recipe to post, please do. Everyone else has been helpful except yourself.
    Apologies.

Afraid I can't help you make any fine seafood taste like something it's not intended to be. Frankly, can't imagine why anyone would want to, but to each his own. I hear the price of real lobster is currently at a historic low, so now would be a great opportunity for a "poor man" to try something that really does taste like lobster.

Here's a recipe:

Fill a large stockpot about half full of water. Add the salt and bring to a boil. When the water has come to a rolling boil, plunge the lobsters headfirst into the pot. Clamp the lid back on tightly and return the water to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and cook the lobsters for 12 to 18 minutes, until the shells turn bright red and the tail meat is firm and opaque when checked. Lift the lobsters out of the water with tongs and drain in a colander. Place underside up on a work surface and, grasping firmly, split the tails lengthwise with a large knife. Drain off the excess liquid. Serve with melted butter and lemon wedges.

Cheers.

PS: I don't recommend it with Bud (that's just nasty), but again, to each his own.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

How rude of him to try and inject a little humor into an otherwise dreary south central day...the gall of the man. I have to say however, his comments were in-fact helpful.

I tried this method today with some halibut and it was tasty! Yes, not lobster, but definitely a different and tasty way to cook halibut without the fattening breading or thick mayonaise sauce we usually use. We forewent the butter and used a more healthful margarine spread instead.
    BTW I made the boiling solution using one can of 7-Up along with 1/4 cup sugar and salt, lemon juice and garlic.
    In a way it is much like making Coke chicken, only you leave the solution behind. No desecration of fish flesh at all to my way of thinking, but then some people quibble about putting BBQ sauce on wild meat. To each his own.
    The smaller that government becomes, the bigger my support for it will be. The opposite is also true.

Supporting Member

Thumbs down Some people's tastes . . .

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I tried this method today with some halibut and it was tasty! Yes, not lobster, but definitely a different and tasty way to cook halibut without the fattening breading or thick mayonaise sauce we usually use. We forewent the butter and used a more healthful margarine spread instead.
    BTW I made the boiling solution using one can of 7-Up along with 1/4 cup sugar and salt, lemon juice and garlic.
    In a way it is much like making Coke chicken, only you leave the solution behind. No desecration of fish flesh at all to my way of thinking, but then some people quibble about putting BBQ sauce on wild meat. To each his own.
    Jumpin' Judas . . you think margarine is healthier than butter? You drink soda pop? Does 7-Up contain high fructose corn syrup? And you're worried about butter?

As for the halibut . . well, you and me been down that road before . . fattening breading, thick mayonnaise, margarine . . nobody eats halibut . . you eat what's on it . . driest, most tasteless fish out there . .

And you gripe about me liking okra . . to each his own . . . . . . I guess . .

Sayak knows I'm just kiddin' . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    . . driest, most tasteless fish out there . .
    My halibut usually tastes subtly of lemon and dill. Othertimes it demonstrates nuances of macadamia nuts and parmesan cheese. (Maybe that has to do with where they were caught?) Virtually never dry tho, so long as I cooked it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast