Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: Kodiak bear permit?

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11

    Default Kodiak bear permit?

    Long time lurker; first time poster.
    My friend has a bear permit for this fall on Kodiak. Two of the flying companies have told him he has to talk with the guide in the hunting area before they will fly him out to hunt in the area. Is this a law or just the way things are done on Kodiak.
    Hey thxs.
    Bob

  2. #2
    Member Milo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,472

    Default

    No and no.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

  3. #3
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    When I was guiding nobody ever HAD to call me before the hunt......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  4. #4
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    You must be hunting in Paul Chervaniks area.

    I have no idea where you are hunting but from what I found the air charter that normally does the flying for the guide in the area will not fly non guided hunters into the area they fly the guides and their clients. Same thing happens in other parts of the state.

    What area are you hunting and what air charters did you talk to?

  5. #5
    New member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11

    Default

    I don't know the guides name but his permit is for Sturgon river.
    Do these guides control who or when hunters not with them get to hunt?
    Thank you to everybody that has answered.
    I think he talked with AndersonAir.

    Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    You must be hunting in Paul Chervaniks area.

    I have no idea where you are hunting but from what I found the air charter that normally does the flying for the guide in the area will not fly non guided hunters into the area they fly the guides and their clients. Same thing happens in other parts of the state.

    What area are you hunting and what air charters did you talk to?

  6. #6
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    We flew with Kingfisher Aviation last year and were very impressed with their service and their planes. I'd call a couple of other air services and see if they'll work with you. It's never a bad idea to talk with the guide just to get an idea of where they're working, but you're not obligated to.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky
    Posts
    592

    Default

    I drew tag for the area just south of you (Halibut Bay). I tried to contact the guide a couple times but no luck. I was able to arrange my charter service, don't know if he'll be hunting in the area during the same time. I'll be there for 10 days, end of Oct through first few days in November.
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

  8. #8
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FoggyBear View Post
    I don't know the guides name but his permit is for Sturgon river.
    Do these guides control who or when hunters not with them get to hunt?
    Thank you to everybody that has answered.
    I think he talked with AndersonAir.
    Yep that is the guide you are going to deal with. Good luck he is a pleasure!

    Call Seahawk they will put you where you want to be. Andrews will not fly you into there.

  9. #9
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    I drew tag for the area just south of you (Halibut Bay). I tried to contact the guide a couple times but no luck. I was able to arrange my charter service, don't know if he'll be hunting in the area during the same time. I'll be there for 10 days, end of Oct through first few days in November.
    I tried to contact him multiple times prior to going into the field then happened to bump into him at the Fish and Game office on Kodiak picking my permit up and he had the gall to call my partner and I out for not getting in touch with him prior to showing up to deconflict hunting areas!

  10. #10
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FoggyBear View Post
    I don't know the guides name but his permit is for Sturgon river.
    Do these guides control who or when hunters not with them get to hunt?
    Thank you to everybody that has answered.
    I think he talked with AndersonAir.
    Foggy send me a pm or email my screen name @gmail.com

  11. #11
    New member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Does not seem right that guides get 40% of the permits and residents have to get permission from them to be able to use their permit for a bear hunt of a lifetime. Just seems sad.

    Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    You must be hunting in Paul Chervaniks area.

    I have no idea where you are hunting but from what I found the air charter that normally does the flying for the guide in the area will not fly non guided hunters into the area they fly the guides and their clients. Same thing happens in other parts of the state.

    What area are you hunting and what air charters did you talk to?

  12. #12
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FoggyBear View Post
    Does not seem right that guides get 40% of the permits and residents have to get permission from them to be able to use their permit for a bear hunt of a lifetime. Just seems sad.
    I agree with you and that area is a little different from most on Kodiak that there are only a few ways to hunt it and be successful which causes even more problems for the Resident hunters and the guides.

  13. #13
    Member hntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I tried to contact him multiple times prior to going into the field then happened to bump into him at the Fish and Game office on Kodiak picking my permit up and he had the gall to call my partner and I out for not getting in touch with him prior to showing up to deconflict hunting areas!
    Then he proceeded to tell us where we should go hunt. He wanted us to float down a creek he had never even set foot by. I told him that we are not going to airdrop 500lbs of gear by some creek we dont even know there is enough water in to carry us down river.

    He then told us he had a camp set up in a spot that we wanted to use. While flying into the area I heard the pilot talking to one of the guide's assistants on the VHF. The assisstant told the pilot that Paul told him to leave the camp set up that he was currently in and go down river to set up the lower camp before we got there so we couldn't use the area.

    Like bronco said seahawk, or there is also Island air, he dropped off another party in the same area behind us. We also tried Andrews first but they lied to us about liability and some other BS because Paul uses them. I would have a little respect for them if they told us the truth.

    Besides the guide drama it was a great hunt and we got a 9.5 footer and the guide and assistant guide struck out.

  14. #14
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    I would recommend sending a message to Jake aka BRWNBR. He is a solid, knowledgeable, respectable guide who could perhaps lend some insight to your hunt.

  15. #15
    New member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11

    Default

    I talked with a lady at the Game and Fish and she was very helpful. She took notes and asked that I send a letter or email on what I was told. And asked that if I knew others that had problems have them call or email. Does the guide brwnbr have a plane?
    the phone is 908 4872600;.
    Thanking everybody for there help.
    http://www.fws.gov/refuge/kodiak/


    Quote Originally Posted by hntr View Post
    Then he proceeded to tell us where we should go hunt. He wanted us to float down a creek he had never even set foot by. I told him that we are not going to airdrop 500lbs of gear by some creek we dont even know there is enough water in to carry us down river.

    He then told us he had a camp set up in a spot that we wanted to use. While flying into the area I heard the pilot talking to one of the guide's assistants on the VHF. The assisstant told the pilot that Paul told him to leave the camp set up that he was currently in and go down river to set up the lower camp before we got there so we couldn't use the area.

    Like bronco said seahawk, or there is also Island air, he dropped off another party in the same area behind us. We also tried Andrews first but they lied to us about liability and some other BS because Paul uses them. I would have a little respect for them if they told us the truth.

    Besides the guide drama it was a great hunt and we got a 9.5 footer and the guide and assistant guide struck out.

  16. #16
    Member Ernie Scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Although my son and I are not hunting in the same areas we are dealing with the same issues with a different guide. I've called and sent emails with no response so we're pretty much going to go with our plans. I will tell you one thing about hunting the South Olga lakes area is that much of the better portions of that area are on Ahkiok native land specifically Olga Lakes where I planned to bear hunt. The guide in the area has an agreement with the Akhiok corporation to not sell any land use permits until after the 14th of November so an opening day hunt on Akhiok land is out of the question. I found that disapointing and I don't think I would have applied for that area had I known in advance so here is a little bit of info for someone who is filling out permit apps this winter. I have spoken to a few hunters who have had this permit in the past and it seems that they were all disapointed in lack of access and none of them killed a big bear but the ones who did none were better than 8'. While discouraging I've just had to modify my plans somewhat, I have some ideas and I'll either take a big bear later in that area or not at all. The other area where my son has his permit we'll be shooting for the opener and the same guide has that area also. I talked to some other folks who had this tag in the past and they had mentioned that the guide tried to tell them where they could go and he needed to know where they were hunting before they left and then told them they couldn't go to the place they had planned because their client couldn't walk that far. I would really like to talk to this guide as both areas are large, permits are few and if we could avoid each other that'd be great but by no means will I be bullied or pushed around and messed with.

  17. #17
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FoggyBear View Post
    . Does the guide brwnbr have a plane?
    Not that I'm aware of. He's just a stand up guy who works in various areas, including Kodiak.

    Like I said he may be able to provide some insight, likely not on specific areas for success but rather transportation and what to expect for the area you have chosen to hunt in.

  18. #18
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FoggyBear View Post
    I talked with a lady at the Game and Fish and she was very helpful. She took notes and asked that I send a letter or email on what I was told. And asked that if I knew others that had problems have them call or email. Does the guide brwnbr have a plane?
    the phone is 908 4872600;.
    Thanking everybody for there help.
    http://www.fws.gov/refuge/kodiak/
    Thats funny that she is asking who all is having or has had issues with Paul considering our face to face interaction with him was right in front of her at her counter while all of us picked up out permits.

  19. #19
    New member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11

    Default

    I do not know the ladys name and was talking over the phone. I felt she was honestly listening but I don't know what can be done. Suppose nothing if we residents can't be united about our concerns.
    Sadly his dream hunt may never happen just because a guide controls such a big part of the permit area.
    Foggybear

    Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Thats funny that she is asking who all is having or has had issues with Paul considering our face to face interaction with him was right in front of her at her counter while all of us picked up out permits.

  20. #20
    Member AKMarmot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    782

    Default

    huntr,
    I think you should send Paul a x-mas card with a photos of the bear you harvested.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •