Thread: Can We Keep Jacks?

Default Can We Keep Jacks?

Can anybody clarify if we can keep "Jack" Kings? I was fishing on the Little Su today, hoping for an early silver or some chums. All I caught were Kings, and 4 of them were nice bright "Jacks", all under the 20" limit. I thought about keeping a couple for supper, but with the E.O. closures, I was not sure if I could keep any? I suspect there will be some "Jacks" caught when fishing starts again on the 14th on the Parks Hwy streams. They seem aggressive, and with no pressure for the past few weeks there will be others with this same question.

The EO says 'closed to king fishing', BUT here's the e-mail of the area bio samuel.ivey@alaska.gov
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

I think the rule is under 20 inches you can retain them.

No. It's closed to fishing for king salmon regardless of size.

EO for the Kenai.
    Not sure about the L Su:

July 09, 2012

Emergency Orders and regulation reminders

• At this time, several emergency orders are in effect for this area.
    Kenai River personal-use dip net fishery, July 10 through July 31:
    • Retention of king salmon in the Kenai River personal-use dipnet fishery is prohibited during the 2012 season. Any king salmon caught may not be removed from the water and must be released immediately, unharmed.
    From 12:01 a.m., Tuesday, July 10, through 11:59 p.m., Saturday, July 14, 2012:
    • From the mouth upstream to ADF&G regulatory markers located approximately 300 yards downstream from the mouth of Slikok Creek, only king salmon less than 20 inches in length or 55 inches or greater in length may be retained.
    • The king salmon fishing closure upstream from ADF&G regulatory markers located approximately 300 yards downstream from the mouth of Slikok Creek, remains in effect.
    From 12:01 a.m., Sunday, July 15, through 11:59 p.m., Tuesday, July 31, 2012:
    • From the mouth upstream to Skilak Lake, only king salmon less than 20 inches in length or 55 inches or greater in length may be retained.
    From 12:01 a.m., Sunday, July 1, through 11:59 p.m., Saturday, July 14, 2012:
    • In the Kenai River, from ADF&G regulatory markers located approximately 300 yards downstream from the mouth of Slikok Creek, upstream to the outlet of Skilak Lake, and in the Moose River from its confluence with the Kenai River upstream to the northernmost edge of the Sterling Highway bridge, king salmon fishing is closed. No king salmon of any size may be retained. King salmon may not be targeted and any king salmon caught while fishing for other species may not be removed from the water and must be released immediately.
    From 12:01 a.m., Sunday, July 1, through 11:59 p.m., Tuesday, July 31, 2012:
    • In the Kenai River drainage, from the mouth upstream to Skilak Lake, and in the Moose River from its confluence with the Kenai River upstream to the northernmost edge of the Sterling Highway bridge, use of bait/scent is not allowed while fishing for any species.

Here's a clip from the EO for the Little Su.

(9) in the Little Susitna River drainage,
    (A) Beginning 6:00 a.m., Friday, June 15, 2012, in flowing waters from its mouth upstream to the Parks
    Highway, sport fishing is closed for king salmon; king salmon may not be retained or possessed; king
    salmon caught may not be removed from the water and must be released immediately

And, here'a a link if you want to read the whole document.

EDIT: Note that it doesn't say anything about size limitations. It just says closed to king fishing.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you can’t tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Thanks for the replies guys, looks like a good question for fish & game. I think it is a loop hole that is not addressed in the EO. On all the bag limit pages it addresses other salmon under 20". I do not think they count as "Kings" and they will not spawn. Heck, they do not even turn color. Gotta watch the size though! Did a quick measure on one that was small and it was 15". It is easy to hit 20". I saw a guy catch one on Montana last year on the 14th of July, and he did not know what to do. I got one on Sheep on Sat, but let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanook1986 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, looks like a good question for fish & game. I think it is a loop hole that is not addressed in the EO. On all the bag limit pages it addresses other salmon under 20". I do not think they count as "Kings" and they will not spawn. Heck, they do not even turn color. Gotta watch the size though! Did a quick measure on one that was small and it was 15". It is easy to hit 20". I saw a guy catch one on Montana last year on the 14th of July, and he did not know what to do. I got one on Sheep on Sat, but let it go.
    Ive heard they do spawn. I cant remember who posted the info on here. May have been the doc or someone like that last year.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Jacks spawn just as well as any other male salmon. I have spent many hours on spawning ground surveys watching jacks sneak in and spawn right under a 40 lb bucks nose. Sneaky little buggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanook1986 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, looks like a good question for fish & game. I think it is a loop hole that is not addressed in the EO.
    A loop hole? I think you're grasping, here. It clearly says king fishing is closed.

But if you do ask F&G, be sure and post their reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you can’t tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!