Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenai sockeye - the first push....

Default Kenai sockeye - the first push....

... could well be this weekend.

PKZ140-121500- COOK INLET NORTH OF KAMISHAK BAY AND ENGLISH BAY 400 PM AKDT WED JUL 11 2012 ...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY THROUGH THURSDAY... .TONIGHT...NE WIND 25 KT. SEAS 5 FT. HIGHEST SEAS SOUTH OF KALGIN ISLAND. RAIN. .THU...NE WIND 30 KT. SEAS 8 FT. HIGHEST SEAS SOUTH OF KALGIN ISLAND. RAIN. .THU NIGHT...NE WIND 15 KT. SEAS 5 FT DIMINISHING TO 3 FT AFTER MIDNIGHT. RAIN SHOWERS. .FRI AND FRI NIGHT...VARIABLE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT. .SAT...SW WIND 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT. .SUN...VARIABLE WIND 15 KT. SEAS 2 FT. .MON...SW WIND 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT.

SW winds coupled with strong morning ebbs should put the Kenai plume tight to the beach on Saturday morning.... conditions ripe for fish moving to the beach en masse. The only question is how many sockeye have already made it into the district for that first beach assault. OTF took a dip on July 9, but both the Anchor Pt and Kalgin OTF ticked up significantly y'day.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...lmon#/research

Get ready... here they come?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Went fishing this morning from 7:30 to 11:00 . Got one just two minutes after I started fishing. Didn't catch or hook any more. With 8 other guys fishing around me only 3 were caught or foul hooked. I figured the dip netters must be getting them, but as I was leaving a guy with a dip net on top of car was putting rod and reel together and I asked him why he wasn't dip netting and he that the tide wasn't good enough. I guess it makes sense tho if the winds are from the west it pushes the fish up river. I've heard the saying that goes "winds from the East, fish bite the least, winds from the West, fish bite the best"
    Does the tide being what they call a MINUS TIDE have the same kind of effect as for when the fish will move up river? The river is still very high and according to the iphone app I use it states that the cfs is steady at 13000 and stage at 9.37ft.

Lack of wind and weak tides allow the greatest dispersal and dilution of the Kenai plume as it hits the Inlet. The setup I talked about in my post puts a broad band of pure Kenai water tight to the beach for miles. Once a fish hits that Kenai water, it will commit to the beach and the river. The only thing that will stop it is a net or a strand of mono laced with something pokey.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post

Get ready... here they come?

I was thinking the same thing when I called this afternoon. We may be on the verge...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

dipped the high tide to closing tonight, 2 fish, outta ten boats didn't see any others landed slow slow slow

Looking at the counts from last year it seemed to be slow around the first couple of weeks of July, then it climbed up an up. July 19th was when the count was over 230,000 and that many made it past the seine netters and the dip netters. When do the pinks begin to show up?

OTF was 147 yesterday with only 4 of 6 stations fished at anchor point !
    I will guess that slug of fish will hit the river Sunday at - 1 pm...........
    I'm just making a guess as to when we will see the first big slug of reds I do every year it's kinda fun.
    Now with no nets on the beaches to stop them would anybody care to guess numbers I will start with my guess
    For Monday 88000 thru the counter .
    What do you think doc big numbers Monday ?

All depends on the wind.

They're coming this weekend, but Sunday's forecast may slow down what would otherwise be a MAJOR push to the beach.

COOK INLET NORTH OF KAMISHAK BAY AND ENGLISH BAY 400 AM AKDT THU JUL 12 2012 .TODAY...NE WIND 20 KT. SEAS 5 FT. RAIN. .TONIGHT...NE WIND 15 KT DIMINISHING TO 10 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 3 FT. RAIN. .FRI...VARIABLE WIND LESS THAN 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT. .FRI NIGHT...S WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT. .SAT...S WIND 15 KT. SEAS 2 FT. .SUN...NE WIND 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT. .MON...SW WIND 10 KT. SEAS 3 FT.
    The KeenEye MD

I dipped on Tues and Wed as I hate dipping with the masses. It is so much more pleasant early in the run. Had 20-30ft between me and the next guy. Got 8 mostly in the few hours surrounding the afternoon low. Would have had more but I was interrupted by about a 25lb unfortunate King hen. I say unfortunate for two reasons. I have never dipped a King in my 15 years of dipping and I couldn't keep her. Also unfortunate as I do not think she will survive. I spent about 15-20 minutes reviving her but she initially had a little blood from under her gill plate and she was pretty lethargic when she eventually went. I was really bummed for both reasons. I got her in, out of my net, and into the current to oxygenate as quick as I could so I do not think I could have done anything different to help her but I still felt bad.

Wednesday I got 21 in 12 hours. Both days were better than I really expected early in the run especially with F&G still showing only 5-6k fish per day.

Can you ask them to wait until Weds when I'm there !!!

Default Time waits for no one....

And neither do these sockeye. When they decide to go, they go.....

Here's how it all went down in 2011... fish committed to the river beginning July 16.... and just kept coming!

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...are-on-the-way

Here's how things unfolded in 2010... fish committed to the river beginning July 13.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ighlight=plume
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by smarion View Post
    I got her in, out of my net, and into the current to oxygenate as quick as I could so I do not think I could have done anything different to help her but I still felt bad.
    You're a good man. You gave it your best shot.....that's all you can do.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Picked up 1 tonight in Soldotna, lost 1, partner lost 1, 3 of use fished a couple hours...

Finalizing a quick trip up to floss some Reds from Minnesota. I have the itch bad. Should be on the river somewhere on Wednesday. Let em come in strong.

Wind pattern falling apart…

PKZ140-140300-COOK INLET NORTH OF KAMISHAK BAY AND ENGLISH BAY400 AM AKDT FRI JUL 13 2012.TODAY...VARIABLE WIND LESS THAN 10 KT. SEAS 1 FT. PATCHY FOG. .TONIGHT...S WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT. PATCHY FOG. .SAT...VARIABLE WIND LESS THAN 10 KT BECOMING S 10 KT IN THEAFTERNOON. SEAS 2 FT. PATCHY FOG. .SAT NIGHT...E WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT. .SUN...N WIND 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT. .MON...SW WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT. .TUE...VARIABLE WIND LESS THAN 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    The KeenEye MD

Drifters took 120K y'day.

Fish are there... just need the right conditions to lure them ashore for the push.
    The KeenEye MD

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Drifters took 120K y'day.

Fish are there... just need the right conditions to lure them ashore for the push.

"Homo proponit, sed Deus disponit." —Thomas a Kempis

*Man proposes, but God disposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    "Homo proponit, sed Deus disponit." —Thomas a Kempis

*Man proposes, but God disposes.
    Are you calling the fishnphysician a homo? Just kidding. What the heck does that mean?

Talking Just kidding too . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Are you calling the fishnphysician a homo? Just kidding. What the heck does that mean?
    Tongue-in-cheek, it means that we can pompously pretend to predict and propose exactly when the salmon will come—citing times and tides and winds and river plumes in support of our prognostications—and all the rest of such malarkey till the cows come home . . but the salmon will ultimately come* when God** sends them.

*or not

**Or, if you prefer, "Mother Nature."

Just got back from dipping (from a boat) at the mouth of the Kenai. Fished two hours on either side of the tide, saw probably half a dozen fish caught -- got nothing myself.

Weeeeeeeeee!!!
    In our desire to impose form on the world and our lives we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
    and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. -- Colin Gunton

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast