Thread: Flying club

Default Flying club

So, I read an article in AOPA magazine talking about flying clubs. This got me wondering about flying clubs in alaska. Alaska has the highest pilot population per capita in U.S. I know of only one flying club in Fairbanks, and for sure one on elmendorf in Anchorage. Maybe its most the pilots up here have there own plane or just rent, but I would think that there would be more flying clubs.
    Does anyone have any experience starting a flying club? would it be hard to keep it going? how is the cost of insurance like for a club? maybe something to look into to make it less expensive to fly than renting or owning. Thoughts???

Quote Originally Posted by flyak27 View Post
    So, I read an article in AOPA magazine talking about flying clubs. This got me wondering about flying clubs in alaska. Alaska has the highest pilot population per capita in U.S. I know of only one flying club in Fairbanks, and for sure one on elmendorf in Anchorage. Maybe its most the pilots up here have there own plane or just rent, but I would think that there would be more flying clubs.
    Does anyone have any experience starting a flying club? would it be hard to keep it going? how is the cost of insurance like for a club? maybe something to look into to make it less expensive to fly than renting or owning. Thoughts???
    Found this online..

http://www.planeviz.com/blog/2012-04...a-flying-club/

I have been wondering about the same thing. Been checking around and there are none in my area that are not affiliated with Universities, etc.