Thread: Lingcod for sale :)

Default Lingcod for sale :)

PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I think lingcod can be taken (commercially) under the "misc. saltwater finfish" permit/license (when allowed). Jig is the main gear type, and I think rod/reel can fall under that. Not sure if size limits apply. Of course all other commercial regs would apply...fish tickets, cather/seller, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    I think lingcod can be taken (commercially) under the "misc. saltwater finfish" permit/license (when allowed). Jig is the main gear type, and I think rod/reel can fall under that. Not sure if size limits apply. Of course all other commercial regs would apply...fish tickets, cather/seller, etc.
    Don't forget the phoney/baloney permit from the DEC to remove fish from the boat!! Covered "processing" area on the boat, sanitation records/logbook, handwash station, stainless sinks etc etc.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

The ling cod permit for hook and line is $75. Peter Pan in Valdez is paying $1.95 a pound. Head must remain on fish.

Unhappy

The commercial ling cod fishery is a bad joke.

I just thought it was funny he said he hand lined yet there are 6 poles behind him LOL!!!!
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Man, sign me up for that! At $15 a pound what do you suppose I could have gotten for these yesterday (l to r, 43, 51 and 58 lbs.)?
    big lings 7-10-12.JPG
    And the two small ones (35 and 16 lbs.) aren't even in the picture.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Man, sign me up for that! At $15 a pound what do you suppose I could have gotten for these yesterday (l to r, 43, 51 and 58 lbs.)?
    If you were in that biz you'd either:
    - now have an entire fleet of boats operating, with all of them working for 15 bucks a pound
    - or you'd be in the pokey

Hey, things ain't so bad the way they are now, are they? (except for the idjit on CL anyway...)

Muttley....Those are some beast lings! Geez..

I dont get it- whats wrong with the picture? Is it that the guy said "by hand" and you took him literally or is there something more sinister going on? I took "by hand" just to mean taken with rod & reel as opposed to jigging machine.

Also, whats wrong with the commercial lingcod fishery and whats wrong with a guy on a small sport fishing boat going out and commercially harvesting some lings & selling them locally on craigslist?

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish6025 View Post
    I dont get it- whats wrong with the picture? Is it that the guy said "by hand" and you took him literally or is there something more sinister going on? I took "by hand" just to mean taken with rod & reel as opposed to jigging machine.

Also, whats wrong with the commercial lingcod fishery and whats wrong with a guy on a small sport fishing boat going out and commercially harvesting some lings & selling them locally on craigslist?
    Ditto. I took "by hand" as meaning with a rod and reel as opposed to a net.

And if someone wants to jump through the hoops to sell them "commercially" what's wrong with that. I'd probably do it if I didn't have charters almost every day for the next 6 weeks. There's a pretty fine line between having someone pay you to take them out and catch them, and you catching them yourself and selling them legally.

$15 a pound isn't bad for vacuum packed. You'd have to catch/sell a bunch a ling to make money, that's for sure.

Those of us with boats..... I don't even want to know how much a pound of fish really costs me..(grin)

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    $15 a pound isn't bad for vacuum packed. You'd have to catch/sell a bunch a ling to make money, that's for sure.

Those of us with boats..... I don't even want to know how much a pound of fish really costs me..(grin)
    The boating costs money. The fish are FREE!

I've refused to figure out my yearly opperating cost for my boat to figure out what it cost per pound for fishing. My friend has joked about $100/lb fish, sadly some years that's probably spot on.

There are lots of industries where it's easy to spend alot of time and money and money and all you do is loose money. Commercial fishing is certainly one of them.

If the guy is legally selling the fish and can make $15/lb, more power to him. I just can't to outsmart those wily commercial fishermen and "save" money by catching my own lingcod.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    The boating costs money. The fish are FREE!
    Now I know how to explain it to my wife and she'll understand!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AKnook View Post
    Muttley....Those are some beast lings! Geez..
    Monsters indeed...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Sounds like a good start up business!! Write off boat, the gear and other expenses. Oh, just one small problem. Haven't caught any Lingcod yet this year.

Guy must be good if he can pay the bills and make a profit catching Lingcod. More power to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I've refused to figure out my yearly opperating cost for my boat to figure out what it cost per pound for fishing. My friend has joked about $100/lb fish, sadly some years that's probably spot on.
    Me too. I don't think there's anything I hate more than people that start trying to equate the cost of fish in the market vs. what they have to "pay" to go out and catch them. We saw a "family" of orcas within about 150 yards of my boat today---a big male, at least one or two females and also a "baby" that one or two of them were shadowing as they swam along. How much money is THAT worth!? We saw about a million what appeared to be jelly fish spawn passing by the boat at one time. Way cool and in my opinion priceless. Then the two harbor porpoises that swam by us about 100 ft. away were pretty cool, too. Let's see......worth $50!?!? $100!?!? And the fun we had pulling 6 nice halibut into the boat, releasing about 30 more trying to get those 6 decent ones, and 20 decent little rockfish is pretty hard to put a price on.

If I could "get by" selling lings for $15 a pound and have as much fun as I do catching them I'd do it in a heartbeat.