Thread: Good rivers and lakes to fish?

Default Good rivers and lakes to fish?

Anyone know of any good rivers and lakes that have lots of different fresh water species? ( NOT interested in salmon spots). Been trying to get some good ideas on trout, greyling, charr, pike, and maybe land locked salmon, steelhead. Thanks all for the imput, ATM i have been told of big lake and finger lake, but needing some more options,

Quote Originally Posted by dmmccleary View Post
    Anyone know of any good rivers and lakes that have lots of different fresh water species? ( NOT interested in salmon spots). Been trying to get some good ideas on trout, greyling, charr, pike, and maybe land locked salmon, steelhead. Thanks all for the imput, ATM i have been told of big lake and finger lake, but needing some more options,
    Some of the members on here helped me with the same question recently. The majority of the responses were for Kepler-Bradley and surrounding lakes. The ONE day I got to paddle out and try the wind was raging and made fishing difficult at best. However, the cover and subsurface features did look very promising and I did manage to get one decent take from a trout before the wind blew me back to open water at about 15 mph. I would definitely try there if you get a chance. The park at Kepler has boat rentals as well if you need a watercraft. I'm finally getting my pontoon rig this weekend finally! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by dmmccleary View Post
    When the wind start blowing in Palmer I usually Head to Meirs Lake. Its sit down in a small depression and the wind is not as severe. We caught this 19inch trout last Thursday when it was to windy to fish any of the other lakes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Make sure you get a small anchor for your cat. It really helps when the wind starts pushing you around. Barney's has small kayak anchors for around five bucks and they work perfect for the small cats.

Defining "lots" would help provide you with more information. Here is a link to lots of info. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/fi...matsulakes.pdf What you will probably notice is that there is typically 2 or 3 types of fresh water fish in the average lake. 4 species is likely the most you will see but not necessarily typical. Considering your location you can toss steelhead out as they are only found in few rivers within 4 hrs drive to my knowledge and typically all you'll catch when they are present is them and dollies. All of the fish you have listed are typically fished for differently so I don't know exactly what your looking for. Do you have a boat? Are you stuck to bank fishing? When we go fishing there is usually a specie that we are targeting specifically. Are you looking to catch stockers? What's a good river, lake or day of fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by zeda34 View Post
    When the wind start blowing in Palmer I usually Head to Meirs Lake. Its sit down in a small depression and the wind is not as severe. We caught this 19inch trout last Thursday when it was to windy to fish any of the other lakes.
    Same i have a cabin on Lalen lake and pulled a 25 incher, 21.5, and a 22 incher. Ill give that one lake area a try

Well i do have 2 boats, row boat with a 15 horse power motor, and a canno. Any time of day mostly , any type of fish. The best bet i have noticed is nacy lake, big lake and finger laker. But id love to find me a creek or river to fish in. Please dont say russian

Quote Originally Posted by zeda34 View Post
    I was looking at that lake the other day, it looked very nice but I'm trying to figure out if I want to wrestle my canoe down that steep hill.

Quote Originally Posted by ePatrick View Post
    I was looking at that lake the other day, it looked very nice but I'm trying to figure out if I want to wrestle my canoe down that steep hill.
    Its not bad at all. But for $25 a year you can join the american legion and use there boat dock anytime you want.