Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friday the 13th &*@$#^

Default Friday the 13th &*@$#^

Today's date got me. I was taking the ATV to Hartley Motors for a service recall...i looked in the rear view mirror and saw one of my 4-wheelers tumbling down the road behind me at 50mph !!!! It was strapped down with 2 ratchets. One of the straps snapped ! It was rated to 5500# ! ! ! Looks like I'll be in the market for a new wheelie ! This sucks. I've never heard of a strap braking before. Has anybody else had this happen? The only good thing is that nobody was injured. The thing tumbled probably at least 20 times.
    Johnny

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver_99654 View Post
    .....One of the straps snapped ! It was rated to 5500# ! ! ! Looks like I'll be in the market for a new wheelie ! This sucks. I've never heard of a strap braking before. Has anybody else had this happen?....
    Yup. Thankfully, we weren't going very fast. Maybe 35 mph on a dirt road. The other strap held, and an atv was being dragged, bouncing along the trailer.

There was still big time damage.

Default That sucks!

I have had straps break before, but only when they were rubbing against the trailer frame or something fairly sharp. Luckily I haven't lost a wheeler yet though!

One time I had my trailer come off the ball and the safety chains didn't stay connected. The trailer hit the ditch and my wheeler broke both straps and slid off into the ditch. It did a perfect sideways slide to a stop and never rolled over!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

straps are rated on a straight line pull (i.e. tensile strength)

This becomes null and void when abrasion is present, deterioration of the material due to climate or fungus, weakened stitching, etc.

Keep in mind that the weight of your four wheeler will grow tremendously when it is subjected to gravity from bumps, dips, fishtailing, etc. Doesn't take much to snap a strap if they have ANY weak links.

Also, I've broke many straps. Just lucky that I didn't lose a wheeler in the process. However, my trailer has side rails and a ramp that doubles as the gate..... so the wheelers will just rub against each other or the trailer....but they won't come out.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

not to be a rubber-necker but do you have any pic's of the carnage? At least it will serve as a good reminder to everyone to make sure to thoroughly inspect their straps! sorry about your bad luck...

I prefer to use 4 lighter duty straps. This way if you break one or hit a hard bump and one comes unhooked you still have 3 holding the wheeler on the trailer. I have lost and cut many straps, most from them rubbing on something they shouldn't have. Fortunately I haven't lost a machine, that would suck.

Sorry about the loss, that bites. I hope the wheeler wasnt brand new.
    As a general rule I use 4 straps on each atv. One on each corner.
    Tennessee

My brother lost an atv off a trailer. It rolled right off at 30 mph and it must have hit the ground perfectly because the machine rolled on all four tires and came to a stop.

I have had trailers come off the ball twice and another time the pin fell out of a tilt trailer. When the pin fell out the top platform of the trailer clean snapped right off but the wiring for the lights held the top from falling off the frame. It was amazing the wires even held up. The two times I had the trailer come off the ball were nothing short of hardcore puckering experiences, especially at 55 mph.

Default Different technique

Most folks tie there ATVs down using the front and rear racks (this is what I use to do). This causes the suspension to work against the straps loosening as you are bouncing down the road. If you tie to the axle or around the wheels and tires they are less likely to come loose. Also I use my winch line as a tether. Just a little different point of view. Sorry about your wheeler!

Those webbed straps that go over the tires would actually work very well.

Richard

Default no pics

Sorry , no pics. i usually carry a camera, but it was in the other vehicle. I also learned against strapping thru the rack. My straps always came loose that way. SO, i decided to strap around the axles as well, this time. Guess it didn't matter. It didn't look like anything sharp around the straps, but I guess maybe there was. I still didn't get the estimate to see how much it would cost. I still owe 2000 on the machine. Only had 650 miles on it. I may as well just pay it off and buy a new one on credit. I would hate to go a year or two without a wheelie.
    Johnny

Default Carpet

I cut little pieces of carpeting to use as protectors for the straps. If ya loose em, lots more in the trash bins of carpet stores.

I have come close a couple of times too. So now I strap the back down and then tighten the winch cable down in the front and strap that. Also I only use two short straps on each side.

The suspension has to be compressed. A bungie cord to maintain pressure between straps helps too.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Strapping tips

What a bummer! Having been through that before years ago, I ended up going to a strap setup that runs sideways from each corner (front to front, back to back). I attach to the axle (in rear) and winch cable and/or frame in front. The key is the strap never contacts the wheeler proper, but runs through heavy carabiners and/or screw pin shackles which clip to the wheeler. This way you get little to no abrasion as the strap is tightened against a rounded surface and it also makes for a quick disconnect. I use the heavy yellow colored ratchet straps (AIH or Arctic Wire & Rope) and attach them to the trailer corner holes via another shackle. Also, try Fastener and Fire for the hardware.

It's not the prettiest looking connection but I've used this method for about 15 years without one failure (knock on wood!), with many of those miles on the Denali highway. Conversely, I've been through probably 5-8 tire failures in the same period.

Default Straps

I've had several straps break in the past and almost lost a wheeler returning from a duck hunt, it was running along side the trailer on 1 wheel, half on, half off. I started cutting my old water hose and putting the strap's through the hose, place the hose over any area that may cause abrasions. I try and replace straps every few years as they do get weathered.........

Default Insurance

Skydiver: Have you talked to your auto insurance or home owners insurance? Might be worth a call.

I suppose each company could be different but State Farm said my wheelers aren't covered under homeowners unless I can prove that they never leave my property. Also seems like they said the most my homeowners would cover would be $1500.

Simply speculation but I would say that auto insurance won't cover it either. All it would cover is damage to someone or their property.

It would still be worth a call I suppose, the answer is no if you don't ask.

Default Geico

i called Geico today. They said they will get back to me. Doesn't look good though.
    Johnny

Default My wheeler fell

I let a friend of mine tie his wheeler down to my trailer(my mistake) it was sort of a muddy trail i was towing down to get into the cabin i hit one bump and c the wheeler fly forward and smack into the tailgate of my truck. It took a little work to get the gate open and i had to get a new one...his honda fourtrax was juuust fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I cut little pieces of carpeting to use as protectors for the straps. If ya loose em, lots more in the trash bins of carpet stores.

I have come close a couple of times too. So now I strap the back down and then tighten the winch cable down in the front and strap that. Also I only use two short straps on each side.

The suspension has to be compressed. A bungie cord to maintain pressure between straps helps too.

I used to tie my front end down with the winch, then I discovered that not all winches have built in brakes. I got home to find my wheeler just sitting on my two place. Don't know when it came loose, but I drove 80 miles, got really lucky. Now I use 4 straps religiously, and not tied to the racks.

Most insurance companies require a separate policy on anything you can drive.
    Accidents like this happen and are very unfortunate but this is one of the reasons why it is so important to carry liability on every ATV or snowmobile we own. State Farm only charges me about $40 a year for 100/300 liability for each toy and it gives me a nice piece of mind knowing if accidents like this happen at least any repairs to other vehicles or injuries are being paid by the insurance company and not me.
    Imange if the ATV hit an expensive SUV driving behind you?
    Tennessee

Do you have coverage on your trailer???

I insure my trailer. You should have had to insure your trailer for highway use. The contents of which are insured when the trailer in in use. Policies vary. This is how mine works.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast