Thread: Whittier 2 day trip

Default Whittier 2 day trip

So, 4 of us headed out Monday morning for halibut, rockfish and to search for lings. Found plenty of halibut, yelloweye and balckbass, but I have not been able to find where the lings live. It's driving me crazy. We lost several jigs in the rocks, bounced the bottom for hours....... Searched all the big drop offs, cliffs, rocky spots from Seal Island to the south end of Knight then on to Latouche. No luck. I need some help. Idea? Anything more than steep rocky crap with will steal your rigs will help..... Here's out catch for a couple days out. Not limits on everything, but decent for the weather we got caught up in. 192 miles of fun. Anchored up in Lower Mummy Bay. Nice place to stay. Can't wait to go back.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Argh! While you didnt limit out thats a nice haul. We never made it out. Between a new baby, lack of sleep, weather and a sick 2 year old we juat couldnt make it work. Glad to see you guys had some success.

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    So, 4 of us headed out Monday morning for halibut, rockfish and to search for lings. Found plenty of halibut, yelloweye and balckbass, but I have not been able to find where the lings live. It's driving me crazy. We lost several jigs in the rocks, bounced the bottom for hours....... Searched all the big drop offs, cliffs, rocky spots from Seal Island to the south end of Knight then on to Latouche. No luck. I need some help. Idea? Anything more than steep rocky crap with will steal your rigs will help..... Here's out catch for a couple days out. Not limits on everything, but decent for the weather we got caught up in. 192 miles of fun. Anchored up in Lower Mummy Bay. Nice place to stay. Can't wait to go back.

We had a good time. I looked for you out there. Not to many boats down south yesterday. The few we saw were going farther south into the worse weather. Doubt they stayed long. It looks like it's going to clear up this weekend. Hope you get out there soon.
    MMSI# 338232859

Looks like another great trip for you, Rob. Any silvers showing up yet? How was the trip back? The marine forecast sure didn't look like it was going to be that nice. I am hoping to make it out Monday for several days.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

We trolled for some from Snug harbour around the bottom of Knight, but only caught a couple pinks. We did lose a few, but not sure what they were. Then we found the black bass capital and fished there awhile before anchoring up in Mummy bay. It was glass smooth Monday afternoon everwhere. Tuesday morning was nasty. Especially in Latouche pass and the one north of there. Huge swells but jigged up several halibut and yelloweye there. We tucked away just south of Chenega and fished for awhile but didn't catch much. It was smooth running back until we came out of Culross passage then it got bad again. Glad we came back when we did though. Looks like it got nasty out there last night and today. Looks like it should be calming down for you this weekend/next week. Good Luck.
    MMSI# 338232859

I'll share my info on where we caught our lings in exchange for a good halibut spot. Looks like you did very well again on the halibut. I am trying to decide whether to take the boat to Seward or head to Whittier again. We are thinking of heading out Sunday afternoon and staying out for a few days. Hoping for good weather.

If you really want to catch the big lings, you need to go where the charters go.

Seal Rocks.

Look at the Bouy, and watch your weather, but the Gulf is where the charters go, and they go there because thats where the consistant fishing is.

If you REALLY want to get into the lings and everything else go to Wessles Reef.

I've been to both, and have fished Seal Rocks for over a decade. Spend the gas $$$ and go.

If you say thats too far, or your boat cant do it, think about this.

I went out to the rock pile in a Bayliner 242, and a Bayliner 2859, many many times. Plan your fuel accordingly, and keep your boat in flat perfect mechanical condition. Our boat always came back a bloody mess from the rock pile.

This last weekend I took a 2 day charter to the Latouche area. I found limits of rock fish at the South End near Danger Island along with many lings no Halibut. I found limits of Halibut in the Elrington Passage between it and Evans Island. Was using herring for bait. We had 1 guy jigging but his catch about the same as the bait fisherman. We had pink salmon heads but the only hits we got on them is when we added herring with the salmon.

Rob looks like you had another great trip. I ran down to the father in laws cabin for a day big su is still high congrats on your catch.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Thanks or the info and the PM's guys. Captaindd, I was in that area on Tuesday as I've heard it was good, but the weather was brutal. I'm planning on heading back down whenthe weather clears up some. How far of a run was it for you? Did ya run out of Sewad?

Skybust, Sent ya a PM buddy.
    MMSI# 338232859

passage canal was wicked nasty yesterday evening. this isn't even summer