Thread: upper chena conditions

Default upper chena conditions

Gunna go fish the upper Chena tomorrow anyone have recent water conditions/fishing report?

Thanks

Well today was to nice of a day to sit around so I went out the hot springs road. Water was cyrastal clear with fish rising everywhere caught about 20 fish mostly about 12" on dry flies switched to a wooly bugger and caught three nice ones in a deep pool, one almost 22". Had a blast out there fishing the upper for the first time. Got some awesome pictures but found out the hard way electronics + water = bad news, owell. Just figured I'd share my awesome day on the water.

Sounds like a great day other than hosing your camera. I recently soaked an iPhone in willow creek. I put it Ina bag of rice for a week and it now works. Give it a try!

The fishing yesterday on the Chena really was excellent.

On the camera, just let it dry for much longer than you'd expect, say four or five days. I don't like to put wet electronics in rice unless they're sealed (like the iPhone, that should be fine) - the rice absorbs some of the water but it also sheds dust and can cause problems. The electronics are going to dry anyway - just take your time.

I must agree, the fishing was indeed excellent last evening! But it has been the last couple of weeks. Having a blast!

Jim

Fished yesterday and there are now many sore lipped grayling up on the Chena. I fished new areas so can't quite comment on water level but it seemed a tad high but not the high that makes it hard to negotiate. Good luck all.

The water level's actually been pretty excellent, with discharge volume at the second bridge being well under median. That's made for easier wading, which in turn has made for some really nice fishing.

I really don't have any complaints about the fishing this year. It started early and except for the almost-a-flood, which receded quickly, the water levels have been consistently moderate and the fish have been just everywhere. We're definitely starting to run out of summer - looking forward to starting to get the dogs out but boy, I'll miss the fishing.

went up there this afternoon and fished for a while. after the clouds cleared up turned out to be a beautifull day. water was very clear and a little high and swift on some places with lots of chum swimming around. saw a ton of wildlife. bunch of moose couple eagles and turned one corner and saw a grizz and her cubs on a sand bar. fishing was stready all afternoon one decent size one and a bunch of beatufull colored ones. all in all a good day, hey i guess it beats working...