Thread: Bear thieves!!

Default Bear thieves!!

So on the last weekend of bear baiting in the valley, my partner and I found 3 people and a very nice dead bear on our bait site! We kept our calm as much as possible and the excuse was they were just hiking....through alders, devilsclub, and about a 150 yard walk through knee deep water without waders. We called the troopers but were too pissed to stick around at the trailhead to see if they confronted them. Whats a guy to do about this situation.....let it go??

Stick around and follow through with the troopers.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Stick around and follow through with the troopers.
    What he said. Now they have no reason not to do it again to some other hunters stand.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I notice the word "Trailhead" and also 150 yards...........So I have to wonder if maybe they were just walking on the trail and saw a bear 150 yards away, shot, then discovered the station. (150 yards does not 1/4 mile make).

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBoy22 View Post

Whats a guy to do about this situation.....let it go??
    Don't put stations where they easily be found. Case in point: 98.9% of stations on the Hope Road are just a few yards off the Chugach Electric Power line. You don't need to be very intelligent to figure out if you walk power line you will see a lot of bears. The bears use power line as a hwy. between free meals.

The trailhead is 20 miles from where are bait is. Our bait is not easily found either, we never take the same path twice. We have been very meticulous and desrete about our bait. It has been there for 5 years now and this is the first problem we've had. When you pull into the woods where we park to go to our bait, the bear bait sign is on the back side of a tree. so you would have to pull in there and get off your wheeler to even see our sign. The walking trail is not very easily seen either. As I said before, it's atleast 150 yards in the water, which is a moving river bottom. Picking up our walking path and following it to our bait just didn't happen by accident.
    We intended to follow them out to the troopers, but 20 miles out on the wheeler is alot of time to think. For the first few miles when we turned around, we seen them behind us, with our bear on the front of their wheeler. It just got too aggrevating. We recorded the whole incident on video camera, we got names and all, if they told the truth. And also trail camera pics too.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBoy22 View Post

For the first few miles when we turned around, we seen them behind us, with our bear on the front of their wheeler.

"OUR BEAR".....Why is it YOUR Bear......? It is just a Bear, and they harvested it. I would love to hear their side of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I would love to hear their side of the story.
    Would be interesting.
    Is it illegal to shoot a bear at a bait station that isn't yours?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

From what you have said it sounds like your bait station is well hidden and not very obviously marked. Obviously this could be a misinterpretation as i've never been there, but if what you said is accurate then it's very feasible that they legally harvested the bear. It is legal to hunt in the area of someone's bait, as for whether it's ethical?... Not going down that never ending trail here.

It's not your animal until you hit it with a projectile.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Truth be told, if you choose not to follow-up with the Troopers, chances are the Troopers will not pursue it. One phone call to lodge a complaint isn't much for them to go on, therefore it's your call...it's either important enough to you to take it further or it isn't. No matter how far it goes, the bear will not be turned over to you, even if they somehow get convicted of shooting it illegally.

Wow!... I put this thread on here to vent some frustrations and possibly do some unethical hunter bashing. I'm the one getting sh*t for my bait location, and for assuming that a bear killed on "OUR" bait was "OUR" bear. They didn't register, pack in, and maintain that bait! It wasn't their money and time going in there!! It was ours, therfore it was "OUR" bear. I heard "their" side of the story, didn't know any of them and they didn't have permission to hunt that bait site, period!!

Hey Mods, just close this thread, sorry for even bringing it here. Last time I post here. Thanks guys!

Like many, I don't consider them to be bear thieves unless you shot the bear and they took it from you. But if they knowingly took a bear from your "registered station", then they did a different no-no.

From what I read - It might be legal to hunt in the area of someone's registered bait station, but it wouldn't be legal to "knowingly" hunt someone's registered bait station without their permission. The permits that I pick up have places for extra hunting license numbers to be added.

FloridaBoy: How close were they to your posted permit number and/or bait barrel? A few feet? Within sight distance of the barrels? Was there a blood trail? Could you track it back to its start? With my stations, I don't see them until I'm pretty close. So if someone was to hunt the numerous trails leading in or out ... I'm not sure I could claim they were hunting my station ... but rather fortunate to reap the rewards of my work. You don't need to answer my questions as the issue seems to be between those that would know the circumstances (you, the hunters, and possibly F&G)

Have you been able to get the troopers the pics, video, etc? Since there were three of them... I would assume that information would support your story or go against there story. Or do you consider this issue closed at this point?

Closed at request of OP.