Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another favorite rifle battery thread

Default Yet another favorite rifle battery thread

Howdy Fellas, I've been a busy old fart as of late and haven't posted for a good while. Sorry!

The tother night I was sorting through some guns. I was trying to determine which of my grandkids was going to get what gun to shoot as they come to visit for the summer. I was also thining the herd a bit and that requires some scrutiny and evaluation. I didn't do it on purpose but as I was sorting I looked over at some that were leaning against the couch that I had already sorted out as some of the ones that would stay mine until the Lord calls me yonder. As I looked at those 4 rifles it occured to me that it was absolutely the perfect 4 rifle battery for any hunting that I will ever hunt on this continent.

Included in that 4 rifle battery is a Ruger 10-22, it is one with a high polished, deep blue 20" barrel. This one wears no barrel band as it sports the best figured piece of walnut that I have ever seen on a 10-22. The stock is slender and narrows down to a nice schnable. The stock also has some nicely done basket weave checkering. It is equiped with the standard 10-22 sights but also sports a Weaver K-4 fine cross hair scope. Moving up in power brings us to a Remington model 7 Predator in 22-250. It is fully cammoed in Mossy Oak Brush cammo and wears a Nikon 2x9x40 Predator Master scope that is done up in the same cammo. My kids went together and got this rifle for me for Christmas last year and it has only 3 coyotes to it's credit but then it's just getting started. Next in line is a clean as a pin Ruger 77 tang safety flat bolt in 308. This rifle is complimented with an older like new fine cross haired Redfield 40 mm 6x scope. This one has been a safe queen but it's time for that to change. Topping off the list as the heavy weight of the 4some and it is another 1970's vintage red pad Ruger 77. This one was sent to JES reboring and came back as a very nice shooting 338-06. Time has also treated this gun very well as it is very clean. At some point in time I robbed the scope off of this one but that is quickly fixed. I have a real nice older 2x7x32 Redfield that started out it's life on a military sniper rifle. It will get the nod to be paired up with the 338-06

So there you have it.....my son and 3 son-in-laws all know that they can take at will for the purpose of hunting or target shooting any guns in my gun safe. That is any but the 4 mentioned and a certain iron sighted Marlin 375 Winny. They can fight over these guns when I'm gone!

Anyone else care to share their 4 rifle mainstay?

I will play this one. If it was only four rifles, hope that never happens though, it would be these.

My old Browning T-Bolt .22
    My old Pre-64 Win. Mod. 70 Featherweight 30-06 Govt.
    Semi customized Marlin 1895 45-70 Govt. with the cool octagon barrel
    Larue Tactical PredatAR 5x56 mm Nato

I find it interesting that all 3 of my center fire rifle choices were use by our military.

nice to see yah on the forum EKC, many folks were askin bout yah!

1 .375 win/model 94 for my boy to use for his first moose/bear/caribou hunts and to teach the use of open sights. Could also use it myself for future black bear hunts over bait. Would probably take it for deer hunts with family in Northern Maine, as the shots are close up in the woods, and I feel the 358 or the 9.3 are just too much for deer.

2 22 mag for beaver(early summer food), small game, predators (fmj's) and home defense with gold dots. This is my go-to winter rifle.

3 9.3x62 mauser for general moose/bear/caribou hunting where there isn't any excessive hiking up elevation. Didn't have to worry about weight so this one wears a nice n hefty 30 mm tubed 1-4 power scope. No need in having different cartridges for this gun, I stick with 300 grain swift A-frames at 2,460 fps. Wasn't satisfied with any of the factory cartridges.

4 358 winchester with 200 grain accubonds for longer shots or hunts that involve excessive hiking in the mountains, with a pocket full of 275 grain woodleighs sighted into the open sights should I ever hike out with a pack full of bloody sheet or goat meat. The short action 358 shaves almost 2 lbs fully loaded and scoped as opposed to the ole 9.3.

Since I handload I only need 2.

CZ .22 Mag with a variety of ammo and my Sako carbine in .375 H&H. I would like to include a 12ga 3" Rem 870 with a 21" barrel and Rem chokes and a Glock 20 in 10mm.

Nothing in the world I can't hunt/kill with that combo.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Love to ...
    1) Ruger 10/22, a tricked out Magnum Research one - I keep changin my mind on the scope but my old 6x36 w mil-dot will do
    2) Browning ABolt .223 with light varmint PacNor - It began as a .223 AI then set back to 20" in just .223 - Has had a 12x Leupold w mildot for years but I'm thinking a 4 x 12 would fit better in this genre
    3) Tikka T3 "superlite" .308 with Leupold 6x42 with custom reticle, extra 6 5-rd magazines, I used the infamous T3 rings for a trial and if they do give itup I'll r & r with Talley lightweights
    4) Kimber Montana 325 WSM with a Leupold vx3 3.5x10x40 in Talley lightweights

Were I lucky enough to reside up North and assuming the 4 gun limit, I would likely force upon myself some tough choices so I could add an 1895 Guide Gun in 45/70 tricked out by WildAlaska to the mix but for "down here" the .308 will suffice

Good point Lowrider - I would add my Kimber 5" and SBE-2 if the list were expanded

Blaser with 4 barrels

I'll play.

1. Ar-15 in .223 remington. Mine will do 17/18 into a 14" pizza box at 300 meters, its a 20" bull barreled DPMS. I can group it tighter if I load so long I can't use the magazine, but who needs a single shot AR-15?

2. Sako 85 in .338Federal. Very similar ballistics to .338WM out to 200meters, which is about as far as I am comfortable shooting anyway.

3. Lever action 45-70. My current is a Marlin GG, I love having one in the chamber and the hammer at half cock when I hear teeth snapping in alder bushes.

4. Not yet in the safe, a good quality bolt action in .270.

I don't collect em so I went for a short list of what will cover it.

Ruger 10/22 22 lr stainless
    Ruger 10/96 22 mag
    NEF Handi Rifle 270
    Savage 116 weather warrior, cut to 20, opens and quick release....338 win mag.

I also have a Henry Golden boy 22 lr that I just love to shoot but doesn't see too much field time. Would like to add a 308 Mountain Rifle of some sort.....will get rid of 270 at that point.

Guess I have to vote with my feet, the guns my feet lug out into the bush more than any others.

Marlin 1894 in 25-20, most often handloaded with cast bullets to 22rf vels.
    Rem 700LH in 257 Roberts long throat. RCBS built it for me in the early 1970's and I added a McMillan stock about 15 years ago.
    Rem 700LH in 7mag. Stock as the day I bought it in the 1970s.
    Rem 700LH rebarreled around 1980 to 20" 375 H&H.

Whole lotta other guns around, but those are the ones that get the most scuff marks and field time. Sezz more than theory in my gun rack.

I'll Play,

1. Rossi youth matched pair 410/22LR - it's my sons, but lives in my pack - light, breaks down and great food gatherer.

2. Rem 700 Mountain Rifle 30-06 stainless/synthetic - gives my good reach and plenty of big game knock down power.

3. Custom 1895 GG 45/70 - for the big stuff and stopping the odd truck if I need to re-supply!!!

With these 3 I can hunt pretty much anything on the planet. There are others I could 'select, but these three are a nice complementary set.

If we are adding handguns I would also include my SW Mountain Gun in 44 Mag and XD in 9mm just for up close and personal anti 2 legged critter stuff.

My turn

1. My Winchester 320 22LR topped with an old Bushnell Banner (Jap glass)

2. A pre-64 243 winchester, for varmints, when my dad lets loose of it.

3. Rem 700 338-06AI topped with a Leupy VX-3 2.5-8x36, this is my out to 400 yd deer rifle, elk seem to fall over dead when shot with it too, though.

4. Rem 700 350 Rem MAG, barrel cut back to 20", has a factory take off checkered plastic stock, rattle-can painted OD green with a lucky elk hoof print stenciled on the but stock. It is topped with a Leupy compact 2-7, short enough I was able to leave the open sights on it, front sight repaced with a fiber optic insert. Elk tremble and just fall over even at the sight of this little "Timber Terror"
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

1. Remington 552 Speedmaster .22, my first gun. I have other .22's that I might even like more, but this one would be the last to go.

2. Custom commercial Mauser I built in .358 Norma. 22" Barrel, Cerakoted, Custom laminate stock. There's nothing on the earth that a handload could not be developed for with this rifle.

3. Remington 700 ADL .270 Win. Plain and simple with virtually no modifications, but it shoots pretty little 1/2" groups.

4. Win 94 re-bored to .35-30/30 set up with XS Ghost rings and a Leupold Scout scope.

I could live with only the first two, but since we get to keep four.....well I'll keep them all until someone makes me drop to four.

1. My Rossi 22LR/410 has become my new favorite gun after owning it for less than a year. It has replaced my Marlin 25N that I bought with hard earned money when I was 11, as my small game getter. It packs easily, and so it goes with me on all my snowmachine trips and hikes. It has taken a lot of rabbits, grouse, and dozens of ptarmigan. The 22 is a tack driver for being a short rifle, and the 410 is fun to play clean up when my wife is shooting clays. I love it when I can dust a falling clay after she misses

2. Another new addition to my gun cabinet, completion of my collection, and possibly the last gun I NEEDED to buy, is my 30-06 Weatherby Vanguard II. Guaranteed to shoot sub MOA as long as I do my part. I have only put 40-50 rounds through this gun and it shoots great. I love this gun and can shoot it all day without getting sore. Now I just need to get a decent scope for it before hunting season. I can handload this gun for any big game animal in AK that I care to chase (I don't want to shoot brown bears).

My last 2 aren't rifles, but with handloading, the 30-06 fills all the rolls above 22LR, and they round out my "All Alaska Package":

3. My Remington 870 has been a great source of firearm related fun, from teaching my wife to shoot clay's, to killing ducks on the wing.

4. A Ruger 357 Magnum three screw Blackhawk. My wife's grandpa gave me this gun and I have had a lot of fun working up different loads and killing lots of targets with it.

Good Grief EKC - to only have 4 favoritus rifles is almost a crime, but I will try....Hmmm
    1. Rem 541S 22LR with a 4x lupy
    2. Rem 700 CDL 280 w/lupy 3x10x40
    3. Win 70 Super Grade 300wm w/3x9x40 lupy
    4. Marlin 1895 XLR 45/70 w/ 2x7x33 lupy

That'll take any game I would ever run across, if that don't work I carry an 8x10 glossy pic of Nancy Pelosi to flash at them - I figure that would make any creature turn tail!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

.22 Bolt action (made by Zastavia), Kimber 84M .338 Federal, Ruger 77RS 300 Win mag, Sako AV 375 H&H Handy Rifle (20" bbl) or,....................Ruger 10/22, Remington 600 .222, Ruger 77 International .308, Remington 700 stainless .375 H&H or,...........................remington 512 .22, remington 700 22-250, Winchester 70 lightweight 30-06, Biakal side by side 45-70..............you get the idea. We all have the disease to a certain extent. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwoods View Post
    .22 Bolt action (made by Zastavia), Kimber 84M .338 Federal, Ruger 77RS 300 Win mag, Sako AV 375 H&H Handy Rifle (20" bbl) or,....................Ruger 10/22, Remington 600 .222, Ruger 77 International .308, Remington 700 stainless .375 H&H or,...........................remington 512 .22, remington 700 22-250, Winchester 70 lightweight 30-06, Biakal side by side 45-70..............you get the idea. We all have the disease to a certain extent. Love it.
    Yup Eastwoods, It weren't long after I made the original post and I had sorted out in my mind a couple more 4 gun batches myself......Marlin 25-20(BROWNBEAR's fault) Marlin 336,30-30, Marlin 375 and a 45-70 GG.......Remington 514 once shooter 22, Remington 722 in tripple duece, Remington 721 in 270Win and anudder 721 in 30-06 that could become a 338-06(or 35 Whelen) real easy. I might add that the rule that I have about my son or son-in-laws having free rein of most of the guns means that I would have to round up some of these in the last two groups cuz it seems that some of them have have grown legs. In particular I aim to find out who borried the 25-20 and put it on the "it stays here" list...KIDS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Blaser with 4 barrels
    Blaser R8 with two barrels, 6.5x55 and 9.3x62.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    Blaser R8 with two barrels, 6.5x55 and 9.3x62.
    Good choices

I really like that Blaser R-8 with the 20.5" barrel and anodized reciver. I think they call it the Jaeger? Black schnabel tip, open sights and Bavarian cheek piece.....wowsa. If money were no object, that specific rifle would be a good one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast