Thread: Fishing Reds near Soldotna- places and techniques please

Default Fishing Reds near Soldotna- places and techniques please

I'll be down at the mouth of the Kenai for dipping and have an out of state guest that will be visiting who hasn't caught a salmon. Where is a good place to go around Soldotna to catch a sockeye with rod and reel? Also is there a different technique for them in the main river or should I use the same flip I've used on the Russian? I have a boat and 50 hp motor if someone wants to message me a good spot I can boat to.. Thanks

You can drop your friend off at Beaver Creek and he can get Reds while you go down dipping.

Better yet he can walk just up stream of the Warren Ames bridge and flip for them. Same goes for you if you have enough pep after dipping to catch a sport limit. All the while watching the Dipnet rodeo while not participating. As far as techinque, I would use a 2/0 Gamakatsu octopus or the circle hook technique discussed in that post in this section.

Is it still ok to harvest sport fish when transporting a cooler full of (unfrozen) personal use fish? I couldn't tell from the regs. I always feel like bending a flyrod on the way home from a dipping trip.

Quote Originally Posted by calebsb View Post
    Is it still ok to harvest sport fish when transporting a cooler full of (unfrozen) personal use fish? I couldn't tell from the regs. I always feel like bending a flyrod on the way home from a dipping trip.
    Just make sure the tails are clipped and your permit filled out before you leave the beach!

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    Better yet he can walk just up stream of the Warren Ames bridge and flip for them. Same goes for you if you have enough pep after dipping to catch a sport limit. All the while watching the Dipnet rodeo while not participating. As far as techinque, I would use a 2/0 Gamakatsu octopus or the circle hook technique discussed in that post in this section.
    "WARREN AMES BRIDGE — A son of longtime Kenai residents Phil and Betty Ames, Warren and a friend were canoeing through Naptowne Rapids on the Kenai River near Sterling in the early 1970s when their craft overturned. The friend was able to swim safely to shore, but Ames was not. Sometime later, another of Ames’ friends, Frank Mullen Jr., while working as legislative aide in Juneau, asked that a bill be drafted to name the new bridge on Bridge Access Road for Ames."
    http://redoubtreporter.wordpress.com...rky-histories/

That bridge was built almost 40 years ago I remember crossing over it when it was new. It was a big deal at the time you could suddenly connect with K beach without going all the way to Soldotna. The rumor at the time had it Mike Gravel, a politician, had a lot to do with its construction as he had supposedly bought land over on the K beach side of the river and by its construction he would gain monetarily. Who knows. I had the good fortune to visit with Phil Ames, Warrens father a year or so before he passed away and did an interview about Tustumena Lake. Now Phil claimed ownership of a cabin up on Tustumena known as the Pipe Creek cabin but he fessed up to me it was a very loose ownership and pretty much BS. Phil migrated north to Alaska and became a territorial policeman in 1951 when he and his wife married in Kenai. Longtime residents of the area know that they owned the Beaver House over on the Kenai Spur Road back in the day. Phil showed me a pair of ice skates he had taken from the Tustumena Lake cabin from back when the lake residents used to skate to visit each other in the winter (~1920's) and other things he had found. My wife went to school in Kenai with Warren and apparently he was popular and thus the naming of the bridge.