Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you report planes that harass you while hunting and fishing?

Default How do you report planes that harass you while hunting and fishing?

If there was ever a reason to have a Sat phone, I think this would qualify. During a moose hunt, I was gutting my moose and had a plane continuously circle me about 100 yds of the ground. It was too far out and I had no cell phone service. Flipping the bird didn't help.

During an icefishing trip, we were sleeping in our ice house when a plane flew about 20 yds past my ice house only about 15 ft. off the lake. He then turned around 300 yds up the lake, and did it again. It scared the crap out of my son. It was too far out and there was no cell phone service. I won't lie, I was having violent visions of removing the plane from the sky, but enough is enough. I don't want to end up in jail for a very long time, and I'd like to think of a less violent "vision". It takes alot of work to get away from the crowds to more remote locations, then to be harassed by planes. I'm tired of having these inconsiderate jerks harassing me when I'm trying to enjoy the outdoors. How do you report em?

FAA...get the "N" number on the tail. Video would help immensely.

The FAA takes that sort of thing seriously....or used to at any rate.

Also- you could file a report with F&G Troopers for "Interfering with a legal hunt"

ADFG takes that sort of thing seriously too.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Get the numbers on the airplane and call the FFA.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Report the #s as stated above, theres no getting away from that.

I had the FnG Trooper do that to me a couple years back, (he couldnt land on tundra) but my VHF straightend that out easily enough, as he thought I was someone else, whom they were looking for, and a low buzz is the usuall "knock knock".
    I carry a VHF alot, it helps with boats, planes and getting help to arrive, as well as check in with folks when Im gonna be out longer than expected. I think most aircraft have VHF radio as well.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I talked with a guy about this very problem a few years ago. They were stalking moose and had an airplane come over them and flew a few feet over the moose and continued to do so. They video'd the whole thing and called into the troopers via satallite phone. The troopers were waiting for the Maule when it landed at Merril. There is no tolerance for that crap.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...m_inquiry.aspx

Here is a link to find the RO of the aircraft. Contact FAA wilth info.

The correct FAA place to call is the regional flight standards district office ( FSDO)
    Anchorage is 271-2000
    Fairbanks 474-0276
    You will need the N number to get anywhere. On some planes they are pretty small.
    And get the toppers local numbers as well for the harrasment.

The 271-2000 number is the correct one for southcentral. You must have the N number for sure. Then they asked me if I had any photos, which I did not, as its hard to find your camera, get a photo, and get the N number with your binos all at the same time....

Basically, what I was told was, thanks for the call, call again if it happens again, but without a photo or video, theres not much we can do....LMFAO......what a joke....mind you this was after a few rounds of phone tag (a live person doesnt answer the phone) and then it took them three separate calls to get all the information they "needed"....to do nothing.

All that being said, I will call every single time it happens to me. In my case they were flying at elevations MUCH below tree top right next to my home. I got the N number on the plane from my bedroom.

shot gun with some buckshot in the air should stop that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    shot gun with some buckshot in the air should stop that.
    I respect a man who isn't afraid to go back to prison.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Might have to make sure to always have a small camera with video capability on me. Please don't instigate me with really good ideas, I'm trying to make the violent "visions" go away, and go afield more equipped to report these scum of the earth jerks. Thanks for the phone numbers, I will make sure to copy them in my write-in-the rain field journal.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    I respect a man who isn't afraid to go back to prison.

guess my sarcasm was lost in the interweb

What is it about you that attracts guys in airplanes?
    You were gutting your moose, so your hunt was over. Maybe the guy in the plane thought you were someone he knew? How "continuously" did he circle?

Buzzing folks during a stalk or actual hunt is a problem. Your problem is getting his N number. Pics or vids would help cinch the pilot getting in trouble. Just one guy saying N such and such buzzed me won't likely do much.

Your 2 examples happened last fall/winter. Why are we just hearing about them now?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

It's simple, they were incidences that have prompted me to seek advice on how to report them in the future should they ever happen again, because I was never prepared in the first place. To answer your question, regarding first incident mentioned was not last fall, but rather, a few years ago, I was buzzed/circled about four to five times. Regardless of what I'm doing during hunts, I don't enjoy being harassed by a guy in a plane. Now that I have the phone numbers provided by some forum members I won't go afield without them, or without a small video capable camera. The incidents I mentioned are done n over with, it doesn't matter when you hear about them, I described them for advice purposes only.

Just a thought but if you were sleeping inside your rather elaborate ice shanty/cabin it would seem pretty likely that the pilot had no idea that there was anyone in it. Is it plausible that he wasn't buzzing you but instead flying low to inspect for a potential landing? We made several passes in a remote drainage of the brooks passing over a couple tents so the pilot could check the strip before we touched down.

Marten trapper are you a liberal hippie? Lol

Bsj when I read your post about the buckshot I almost fell out of bed laughing, great humor

Quote Originally Posted by tbone131 View Post
    Marten trapper are you a liberal hippie? Lol
    ...or a right wing hippie?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    ...or a right wing hippie?
    right wing, yes, hippie.............no. I cut my hair in 1981 and haven't participated in certain substances since 1988.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Just a thought but if you were sleeping inside your rather elaborate ice shanty/cabin it would seem pretty likely that the pilot had no idea that there was anyone in it. Is it plausible that he wasn't buzzing you but instead flying low to inspect for a potential landing? We made several passes in a remote drainage of the brooks passing over a couple tents so the pilot could check the strip before we touched down.
    No, we had two snow machines parked out front, lots of gear, and our dog was outside. I jumped up because it startled me awake and opened the door. Made eye contact with the jerk, he then turned around 300 yds up lake, and did it again.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast