Thread: Greetings from Illinois

Default Greetings from Illinois

As I research bear hunting in Alaska I came accross this forum and thought it wise to join. Yes I'm from Illinois, but please do not associate me with Obama . I'm a registered nurse and have been teaching at an Illinois University for almost 15 years now. I have a couple grade schoolers and a passion for the outdoors. Going to visit Alaska in the near future, just don't know the particulars yet.

Anyway, before asking for you to share your words of wisdom I thought I'd just say hello.

Fly, that is a good way to start and introduction. This forum is a wealth of knowledge and these guys know their stuff. If they say something works for them it will certainly work for us down here. If you are looking at grizz hunting you have come to the right place. Good luck and I hope you don't have to travel through Chicago, had a trip from hades through there a couple weeks ago!!!

Fly, what kind of bear hunts are you looking at researching..if its been done in alaska, its been done by guys in here!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Fly.....welcome. QUIT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This place is addictive. If you haven't been to alaska yet, don't go!!!!!!

I'm moving when the wife is done with school.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Thanks to all for the welcome! Unfortunately I'll be leaving for Chicago this Thursday. It's a paid work-related trip which is the only reason I visit that corrupt anti-gun city. Illinois isn't all bad, it's primarily the city of Chicago that gives the rest of the state a bad name. Anyway, I'll be at Midway airport which is better than the big one.

In regards to bear hunting...

I've been invited to hunt black bear for a week or so on Prince of Whales Island in May/June 2013. I checked the regs and there are no OTC tags in that area anymore meaning the trip would require some draw luck. The guy I know doesn't hunt bear, he just says he sees them while fishing. he's offered his spare bedroom and use of his truck and boats. I just have to save the money to get there and get drawn. Not sure how to hunt bears on POW so any suggestions would be appreciated? Baiting is legal, but with limited time I don't think baiting is the way to go but perhaps I'm wrong on that? Anyway, I'm not sure if I should try this or save for a 2014 brown bear hunt (what I'd really love to do). The wife jumped ship on me last year so instead of saving for new furniture I'm saving it for Alaska.

Hunting the brown bear has been a dream of mine since I fist started hunting in the 80's. I've looked into Kamchatka, Kodiak, interior bears, and even Canadian. It seems one can hunt them on foot, ski's, ATV, horseback, and even snowmobiles. Prices I've seen on websites range from 6,000.00 to 22,000.00 dollars. As one would expect the more remote, the more expensive. The bigger the bear - the more expensive. I'll admit the lower price for Russian browns is eye catching, but after speaking with references I have decided not to hunt there. The language barrier is a real issue and not speaking with the guide before hand is too risky for me. In addition it just doesn't seem right to boost the Russian economy with my hard earned American dollars when our country's economy needs all the boost it can get. Therefore, if I can find an honest hard working outfitter/guide in Alaska with a reasonable price that's where I'll be going.

It seems some of you all may be able to help me find the right hunt and right outfitter? From what I can tell 10K seems to be a fair amount for an interior brown bear hunt? As far as the methods to hunt them, if the people I'm hunting with are good people that work hard and know how to hunt brown bears in the area - I'm up for anything (leaky tent, lodge, ATV, horse, whatever). Anyway, I've said a lot and now I'll shut up - thanks for listening and any advice you can share.

If you're interested in an interior grizzly hunt, you can begin and end your search with Jake Jefferson with Black River Hunting Camp. His reputation speaks for itself. Here's the link. http://www.blackriverhunting.com/grizzly_bear.htm
    Jake is well known and liked on this forum, despite some hunters feeling grief and competition from the guide industry. Jake is known as BRWNBR on this site. You might be able to pm him for more info. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Look at post #3 above. This is Jake. All you need do is reseach for some of his postings (also his clients ) He is the MAN your looking for. From Kodiak to the interior he has guided clients to Bears the envy of all. I'll let him tell you how many Bears he has successfully guided.

I'm new to this forum but have been a member of the Realtree forums since 2008. When someone is pointed out like Jake has been here I know it's the real deal. Jake (BRWNBR)... PM headed your way.

Quote Originally Posted by fly_ View Post
    I'm new to this forum but have been a member of the Realtree forums since 2008. When someone is pointed out like Jake has been here I know it's the real deal. Jake (BRWNBR)... PM headed your way.
    I'm glad to hear that you're taking the advice given regarding Jake. Even if you choose to do something else, he's definitely someone worth talking to. One thing I'm really impressed with regarding his bear hunts is that in some cases you're able to pursue both black and brown bears and that he doesn't charge "trophy fees" for shifting your targets or taking an additional bear during your allotted time. As a bonus, he hunts both the interior and Kodiak, so you can apply for Kodiak and if you're not drawn you can shift to a black/brown combo in the interior.

As a lifelong resident I don't expect that I'll ever hire a bear guide, but if I ever did I would most certainly go with Jake.