Thread: What kind of cell phone coverage is there on the Kenai Peninsula

Default What kind of cell phone coverage is there on the Kenai Peninsula

We are planning a move to the Soldotna or Homer area and are wondering what carriers are available and which is the best service. We will be fishing all over the peninsula. Thanks for any info !!!

Capn' Jack Sparrow

ACS is good except the hope cutoff area and skilak loop road to sterling
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default ACS

ACS has the best coverage... I found anyway. I got coverage past Flat island and Kodiak. Cell One's service cut out at Point Pogishi(sp?), and thre was no covearge for Cell One in Kodiak. Powder monkey has it right!

Default cell coverage

ACS definately has the best coverage on the kenai.

I agree with SalmonMan...I have had ACS for years and they offer the best coverage on the Peninsula. There is a stretch from the bottom of Turnagin Pass to Summit Lake with little coverage.....very few spots to call from.....and then a bit spotty through Cooper Landing but great after that. There are also a very bad spots between Anchorage and Girdwood but they seem to be the same for ACS and the other cell phone providers.

ACS also works well heading North....at least I have personal experience as far as Talkeetna and didn't hit any dead zones. Worked fine from Deska landing down to the mouth. I also got a way cool Motorola razer phone when I signed up.

ACS service works well on the water....not sure how far out as I have mostly gone no more than 5 miles from Anchor Point. I did get a very weak signal accross the inlet at Wolverine Creek last summer......maybe my new phone will be even better.

If you need long range coverage one of the old-style 5 watt "bag phones" tends to have a lot greater range than the new light weight ones but not sure how much longer they will be able to connect with an analog signal.....Everything is now pretty much digital. Hope this helps you make your choice.

ACS also works in most of prince william sound
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Talking

Hey everyone thank you for the info it really helps !!
    To be honest I had not even thought of a local carrier up there, I was thinking Alltel or Verizon would probably be the ones to go with.

Thanks again !!!!

Capn' Jack

I believe Cellular One is the only "National" carrier up here. The rest are locally owned.

And I had Cell One before switching to ACS.....Glad I switched.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I'm from California.. will my cell phone work in alaska? I'm with cingular.. my sis has t-mobil..will either work?

i have lived here for 3 years, and i have verizon, way cheaper than carriers up here, and it works better then all the local carriers, jsut make sure you update it before you get here. my buddy had sprint and it would only work in a couple areas in anchorage. but verizon works very well on the kenai pen.

Had a cingular phone up here before worked fine. Great coverage in the Kenai area, not sure who they share towers/service with but worked just like my ACS phone.

Quote Originally Posted by alaska newbe View Post
    i have lived here for 3 years, and i have verizon, way cheaper than carriers up here, and it works better then all the local carriers, jsut make sure you update it before you get here. my buddy had sprint and it would only work in a couple areas in anchorage. but verizon works very well on the kenai pen.
    I agree. I moved here 2 years ago and kept my verizon; just renewed because the coverage is better than any of the services in state and is much cheaper. Verizon piggies off of all the local carriers and there is no roaming if you are on a nation wide plan, so i get coverage pretty much anywhere in the state that has some type of coverage. I veen get coverage at the Hope cutoff if I hold my mouth right and the stars are aligned, no kiddin, I called my son from the 6 mile creek bridge at the Hope cutoff.

my cingular gophone doesn't work in alaska (even though cingular claimed it would), and this thread probably should be moved somewhere else

Default Why here

Quote Originally Posted by Capn' Jack Sparrow View Post
    We are planning a move to the Soldotna or Homer area and are wondering what carriers are available and which is the best service. We will be fishing all over the peninsula. Thanks for any info !!!

Capn' Jack Sparrow
    I left he post here because the person wanted to know coverage while fishing. People in Valdez can get cell coverage, I can't 10 miles out or in Saw Mill Bay. Coverage varies and as a sportsman not owning a VHF or Sat. phone, it might be vital information for someone fishing in that area.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Great info! I will be in Kenai region in late July. Since I own Cingular, I was thinking about getting one of those prepaid phones. Anyone with any info on Tracfones? Does ACS have them also? Thanks in advance. Tiorpedo

Quote Originally Posted by torpedo View Post
    Great info! I will be in Kenai region in late July. Since I own Cingular, I was thinking about getting one of those prepaid phones. Anyone with any info on Tracfones? Does ACS have them also? Thanks in advance. Tiorpedo
    I had exactly the same questions; search thread titles on this site for "prepaid" and google "howardforums". I've heard rumors that some Cingular phones or plans work up there but I can't confirm; my prepaid doesn't -would be nice if it did.

Default Cingular

Mine works great on the Peninsula especially around Homer. I have Cingular nationwide plan wireless phone gotten while outside and never dropped the coverage. . ( Phone is a gsm standard chip and was also used in Mexico with great sucess also). I use it for all our long distance with free nights and weekends. only use local phone for local calls.