Thread: Berkly gulp cut bait

Default Berkly gulp cut bait

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/produ.../gulp/cut-bait

Does anyone use this? I picked some up yesterday because of the finicky silvers last week in seward, I figured I would run 1 rig with this and 1 rig with herring like usual.

I've never heard silvers and finicky used in the same sentence before. Those things are piranhas when they're in. I'd place higher priority on lure action over scent for silvers. Change up your leader lengths/trolling speed/depth. Also, are you 100% sure the silvers are there? Are other boats catching while you are not?

Anyway, I do like to experiment with new baits and techniques, so more power to you using the Gulp product. Please report back how it goes.

I've used both gulp and herring. Can't say if it'll bring on a bite if the fish aren't there, but I have landed quite a few silvers out of Seward using it. I've mostly used the little pogies. You can usually get about 4 silvers on one of them before they are too chewed up. Just make sure you seal the bag well on any unused gulp as it will dry out and be useless.

It's always good to have more arrows in the quiver, and gulp is consistant compared to herring that sometimes thaws out into useless mush that won't stay on the hook.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    http://www.berkley-fishing.com/produ.../gulp/cut-bait

Does anyone use this? I picked some up yesterday because of the finicky silvers last week in seward, I figured I would run 1 rig with this and 1 rig with herring like usual.
    How are you thinking about rigging it? Running alone behind a flasher cut in a strip may work? I suspect running a hoochie behind a flasher with a small strip of Gulp could be a good combination.

I always run a strip of herring on my hoochies and can hardly keep them in the water when the fish are in. I know they'll hit it without the bait but I add it anyway.

I would think it would work.
    If nothing else it would add scent to any kind of lure.
    Then again there are those who would argue " you can't beat the real thing " even if they never have tried the fake bait in question.

I have heard the Brads cut plug lures are killer on silvers. I know I bought some to try this year.

Ive tried it for halibut surf fishing. I has produced some bites. I usually couple it with a chunk of the real thing too though.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Well I dont now if they were "in" or not but there were several people catching silvers on the beach and I was at Callisto so I would think that they were there too. Also I have never had so much sonar activity as well, I caught more than any of the boats we saw out there so there has to be something going on...

I'd assume you are using it in lieu of herring to run with a hoochie or something. It would work for that, although truthfully it would be easier to just buy a bag of curly tail or swimming tail gulp's and thread that on instead. Same taste and you don't have to cut it.