Thread: denali hwy

Default denali hwy

so dad is comming up and he has always wanted to get some nice greyling. We plan on going up on the denali hwy for a few days and i have been lookin at going to brushkana. Does anybody know what the current water levels are on the streams up there? I have never been up there before but i think we should be able to find some fish some where.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Denalihunter said in another thread that the Denali hwy creeks are high from all the recent rains and the fishing is not good. That could change quickly if it dries out some. We're going out there for Thurs and Fri so I could report Sat.

Yep, they are high, but we are finally seeing some dropping in water levels. Still way high for this time of year. Brushkana finally is dropping a little, but still higher than I have ever seen it for this time of year. You'll find fish, and don't overlook the rapid area's in the streams, right behind rocks. Lakes have been slow so far, at least for me. At least now the water is finally clearing up, even thoguh still high! Every day it's getting better.

Good luck!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Thanks for the update! Hopefully, it'll keep going down nearer to normal levels.

Rain Yep! Water Yep as well just checked out the river logs and certain rivers on the Eastern Side of your venture are going to be just below action stage for water flow i.e. just below Oh Snap really high water such as on the Gulkana. Mind you they are projections but I know for a fact it was coming down by the buckets yesterday in certain areas towards the east.

What is an average sized grayling along the the Denali highway? Are the little creeks along the way better than the lakes?

You can't put an average on Great fishing. Some waters hold larger fish than others and some have salmon runs which move large lake grayling into them as the summer wanes. As a rule of thumb Larger Grayling tend to travel the furthers in any river system i.e. mile 30 of the Chena River will normally not hold the most amount of larger fish you would have to travel past mile 50 etc.... as stated a rule of thumb. Mind you, your fishing the D hgwy and some of the Lake to Lake with river between can change that rule however for the most part the rule of thumb "I know silly saying" is where you will find the larger fish. That being said consider the amount of road side pressure each system might recevie to include harvest rates will change the Rule of Thumb.

If you compare this to Lake fishing IMO a lot will have to do with the available food source in each Lake. Grayling are an amazing fish and although the seem light a and full of puff they are one tough fish to survive in O2 depleted waters that are very cold and frozen over 1/2 the year.

I know I did not answer your question sorry about that just stating that if you do some walking you will find Large fish in most creeks just not near the road.

RMM
    BMR

High water doesn't necessarily mean no success, but it means harder work. In my experience the mid-depth to surface action pretty much stops but you can still pick up fish nymphing along the bottom.

Creeks on the Eastern Edge of the Alaska Range are currently at Flood Stage some areas locally have reported up to 1.7 Inches of Rain in the past two days. There is a flood warning on Smaller Creeks through 1630 hours today. That being said the Western Side is Sunny and has not received all the rain that seems to be locked in below Donnely area.

Where i fished on the denali highway near mid way on the highway last week was pretty fair. Not as good as the usual July trip we take, but not bad either. We probably caught 50-70 grayling ranging from 12"-18" in about 2.5 hours of fishing. Water was high, and fishing was not that great upstream, 20 miles. Closer we fished downstream, closer to the susitna, the better the fishing was. I anticipate my July 22nd trip will yield more fish in the upstream waters.

Heading up this weekend hope the water goes down and weather is decent
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

At least today the wind blew the Crap out of the Clouds you could see all the way to the Wrangell's from the Parks coming into Fairbanks there is hope yet to salvage the weekend.

Fished Brushkana last week. Water was high, but I did pretty good doing exactly what denalihunter suggested. Lots of other people out the morning I was fishing, but I didn't see or talk to anyone else who was catching fish. Guess it was just my day. I was about due. Didn't have much luck earlier in the week at Clearwater or anywhere else on the Denali Hwy. due to high water.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Thanks for the report

Any updates for the tangle area?
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Yes I will be there Sat :-) I know I can be a smart butt! Taking out the Pike IK's for a little Lake Hopping!

We fished the creeks of Denali Hwy Thurs and Fri. We had planned on fishing Sat as well, but the trip was cut short by work issues.

The creeks were high and clear. Brushkana was moderately high and the grayling were cooperative. The mosquitoes were out with a vengeance. Valdez creek was very high, overflow channels full and water flowing over the surrounding land above the high water mark. The grayling weren't all that cooperative there once we found where they were hiding. The creek we fished Fri before leaving was somewhat high and very clear, and again, the grayling were very cooperative. A great day far from the road enjoying the beauty of the land and the wildlife. Late evening fishing closer to home on the way back afforded a couple trout to thoroughly test out my 3wt.

Thanks, Claude, to you and your staff. We had a great time, it's a shame we had to bail early. Next time.....

So Yes it rained and blew and blew and rained and rained and blew in between the early morning the lakes them-selves were active. I did not wet a line in the creek / river however 30 other people were fihsing it and had limited results however that being said it does not mean they were fishing effectively. Any who it Blew and Rained!

I was also up there as well Friday and Saturday with mixed results. I was up there with family and it wasn't what we've experienced in the past. Tangle river produced the best results although fish were small. Tangle Lake, again, fish were small and fewer to be caught. Clearwater creek was high but clear and water was super clear. We caught some near the road but after much hiking, no one could raise a fish. After much different results last year at the same time, it was pretty disappointing.