Thread: puppies....looking...

Default puppies....looking...

Anybody have any litters with black labs and gun dog/ field trial pedigrees??? considering my dog just turned 10, I want to start training a puppy.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

Default Also Looking for Pup

I have a friend looking for a Golden puppy, does not need to be a huge hunter, but does need papers.

I would like to breed my two lab *****es this fall/winter if they go into heat. These will be high end field trial breedings if they take place.

If I haven't found a dog by then I want to be on the list for one of your dogs. Do you have a stud in mind?

You know, it's funny you guys would start this discussion. My gf and I kicked about the idea of "studding" our AKC yellow lab and asking for a pup in return (even though we can't take on a second dog). He's got a freezing issue that I'm still working through and I wonder, what are your opinions on that? Is that a learned behavior/"bad habit" or is that generally considered a genetic issue that is passed down from one generation to the next?

Part of why I ask is we also kicked about the idea of having him neutered, although I can't imagine why you would neuter a 7 yr old dog other than that my vet asks every time we bring him in and no boarding kennel will take him because he's intact, but, you know, other than that. =)

FL2AK: People are saying that freezing is a man made problem. I don't think that's totally true as some lines are more prone to it than others. I believe it's like everything else, a combination of nature and nature.

AK 375:
    FC/AFC Whitewater Plourdes Ms will most likely be bred to FC/AFC Wood Rivers Franchise
    FC/AFC Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog should be bred to FC/AFC Fresh Squeezed Juice.

Both breedings are repeat breedings with pups from the earlier litters doing well in field trial training. One is a Canadian FTCH with US amateur placements. That litter is 3 years old now.

Any idea when?

Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    Any idea when?
    Bam's last heat started on November 3 last year. She's been a 9 or 10 month cycler so will probably go in in August or September.

Missy was last in heat in February and she's also a 9 or 10 month cycler so I expect her to go into heat November or December.

But, they follow their own schedule not mine.

The basic timing on breeding is a 63 day gestation period from ovulation and I keep the pups for their first 8 weeks. You can say the pups will be ready to go to new homes about 4 months and a week after the ***** goes into season.

I picked up a choc lab from LNR last winter and we have been spoiled with him. Very calm, super fast learner, strong swimmer, and has been great in the boat. He will fill out at about 90lbs so hes a big one, but i would get anothe from LNR any day.

I'm not familiar with LNR?

http://www.lnrkennels.com/index.html

One of the guys i work with got a pup about 2 months before I did and the two dogs are very similar.

Bump to top

AK375 you could not beat a dog from Howard for hunting, the big question would be if he would sell to you, he will have people from all over the country offering top dollar for his pups for FT. That would be well worth the wait if you can get one. LNR is a kennel in Palmer, he primary raises litters and sells several litters per year. I've never heard anything bad about them, I don't like that he has vocal cords removed to cut down on the barking of his own dogs (not the pups). I know he has had some farily good dogs for breeding, not FT quality, but should hunt. There is also Alaska Labs in Wasilla, he raises a number of litters per year and he has good sound dogs, but not FT also. Often donates a put to the spring BBQ DU banquet for auction. If you can buy a dog from Howard from either liter, thats what I would do. Bud
    Wasilla

I'm not familiar with LNR?

I'd second Howard. Check with LNR. I've asked them about health screenings, CERF, OFA, CNM, & EIC in particular and they won't answer me. Furthermore, I can't find anything about any health guarantees that they offer. I don't know a lot about a lot, but those are some of the things I check for IN ADDITION to quality hunting potential. I also haven't seen any FC's or AFC's anywhere in their kennel.

I'm not bashing LNR, and if someone has evidence that supports otherwise, please share it as I'd like to know. However, with what I've tried to find out, I've been quite unsuccessful. Howard's first breedings are already proven dogs, which to me, speaks louder than the potential from a breeding which hasn't occurred, yet. Again, I don't know a lot, just throwing in my two cents! It's worth noting that you tend to get what you pay for when it comes to labs, not just from drive and trainability, but in vet bills down the road, an often overlooked aspect of litter selection.

I seem to be hearing the same repetitive opinion on lnr...

I seem to be hearing the same repetitive opinion on lnr...

Cloak, meet dagger. I think you'll make a wise choice.

The selling price is one of the lowest expenses of a pup, even a highly bred field trial pup, maintance, vets, shots, food, etc all will amount to much more then the selling price. One complaint I hear over the year about FT dogs is that they are wild and high strung. Yes, some can be, mostly the untrained ones. But, from what i've seen, the 2 most important things FT dogs are bred for is birdiness and trainability. FT dogs are very trainable, you can train them to stop on a dime, and do exactly what you demand of them, and they have excellent memory. If you want a pet as well as a excellent hunt dog, I would choose one from the litter that seems a little more laid back then some of the others, do not get the alfa male or female. Nothing is a sure thing in choosing a pup, but your odds of getting a good one are much higher with a breeding like either of Howards upcoming liters. Bud
    Wasilla

Just do your research. There's nothing worse than pouring a load of time and effort into a pup/dog just to have it succumb to EIC or become displastic. If you think it's hard on you, imagine what it's like for the dog... My buddy's dog had EIC and it was one of the most pitiful things in the world to see. You'll thank yourself in the long run if you really put a lot of time into selecting a good litter. I think anyone who is serious about labs will tell you that you're not picking a pup so much as you're picking a litter. You'll be glad you did in the long run. It's a hefty investment, both time and money, so you owe it to yourself and the dog to try to stack the odds in your favor as much as you can. Vet bills add up quick when you're dealing with a genetic issue that could have been avoided with proper research.

This advice is sound for people interested in breeding their dogs, too. Get them tested. You owe it to the breed to only breed quality animals. If your dog has one of these issues, get him/her fixed. Be a responsible breeder. The more we breed for greed, the weaker the breed will become overall. Consider the Poodle.

I just bought a pup last oct. and ended up going out of state as I did not like any of the breeding in Alaska...