Thread: This is disgusting!!!

Default This is disgusting!!!

This was a post from another site. What a waste!! A while back there was a thread about NR taking to many fish home. Why are you taking so many fish you use them as dog food? There were other posts about who needs fish for dog food and who they can give them to. I hope this is a small minority. Its not like they are in a village in the bush where you have to do this. This is PURE WASTE!!!!

for the page KK - always excellent. I have a request instead of a report. Maybe all the dippers could look in their freezers and assess or re-assess the number of fish they would like to get this year. In the past I have over harvested by a couple fish and just used the old fish for smoking, but I always check to make sure just how many fish my family actually consumes year to year before I go dipping. Our responsible use now may help preserve this tremendous resource for our kids and for their kids too. Thanks again for the page.

I'll have to toss this out to folks since nearly EVERYONE has a dog or cat. AKJake eats my two year old salmon every day with his kibbles. I eat the last year's fish but there is always a carryover surplus. (My inherent urge to have more than I need in case of a catastrophic emergency like the '64 Quake and the need to feed myself and others!) THIS YEAR since there will probably be a need to take as many reds as usable to help control the escapement in some minor way, I'm going to take all my 2011 fish left and strip the fillets into thin jerky pieces and dry them in the oven at 110°F until they are thoroughly dried. NO spices, salt, etc. These will make excellent dog treats. They will keep forever in a zip lock bag. You can take them anywhere, leave some in the car/truck for travel treats and its great healthy food. This is going to save me probably $200+ a year in extra dog biscuits and other treats and I know he loves 'em. Don't heat your oven past 110F. I use a spoon to crack the oven door open and a thermometer to monitor the temp. You don't want to COOK the meat because then it won't dry correctly like jerky. Give it a try and your dog/cat will love you forever. And BTW Personal Use harvested salmon can be used for people food, dog food, or even fish bait. So if you have some old stale frozen PU salmon you dipped, take it halibut fishing too. Now sport caught salmon?....Nope! Just for human consumption.

I kind of disagree with it being disgusting. I would rather feed my dog extra fish I have then throw it in the trash. Sounds to me they are doing just that. Nothing in the books says you can't feed your animals with the fish you caught either. It comes down to personal choice on how you use your catch. It would be disgusting if the fish were caught illegaly but it seems these are of legal catches. Salmon is one of the best foods you can feed your dog btw

Lightbulb Dog food . .

Ummmmm . . . That's why chums are called "dog" salmon.

I have "found" fish in my freezer that was "forgotten" more than once, on those ocaissions I helped out dog mushers by donating the fish to feed their dogs, the only negative I see in doing so is that the dogs ate it rather than me.

I have done that when I accidentally over smoked fish. But to intentionally do it just to feed your dog seems like a waste to me.....just don't take as many fish.....

Agreed Marcus but they were talking about reds as it was a discussion about dipnetting.

Now I understand...... if someone was fishing with a pole you would not have a problem with them wasting the fish they caught?

Now it all make sense.

Live and let live folks... This is Alaska, not the lesser 48.

The individual is finding a way to use the resource that was harvested for "personal use". We dip-net to supplement our diets with Alaska's bounty of amazingly healthy salmon. We also dip-net to avoid paying high costs at the store for similar table fare.

Now I personally pay $14 for 2lbs of Yummy Chummy at Target or wherever for my dog snacks. Feeding my dog dried out leftover dip-net salmon could be healthier and cheaper than paying $14/bag for his snacks. If I end up with extra salmon I will try this out.

I say let those who use the resource the way they choose be... as long as its with in the law. They're not selling it, they're not throwing it away...they're using it for what its intended, personal use.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Now I understand...... if someone was fishing with a pole you would not have a problem with them wasting the fish they caught?

Now it all make sense.
    Feeding leftovers to the dog = wasting?

Lightbulb More dog food . .

Any time after three months or so in the freezer and especially now after almost a year, I "skim" every piece of vacuum-packed fish we eat . . with a very sharp knife, I slice of a thin layer of fish all across the top of the filet and then slice off an 1/8th inch or so all 'round the edges. Those trimmings, along with the skin, go into a skillet with water and are cooked for the dogs that night.

*Nothing I love better than red salmon—in my mind truly one of the world's great table foods—but nothing I hate worse than the slightest hint of freezer-burn. Trimming the fish as above leaves it as good as fresh.

No waste that I see. They guy states that he tries to be careful about how many fish he takes, but sometimes ends up with extra. Now he's found a way to use that extra.

I'm missing the problem here.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Feeding leftovers to the dog = wasting?
    Not as far as I am concern, it's being put to good used no matter how you get your fish.

If there were a shortage of fish for human use and this person was netting fish just to feed his dog, that may be a problem. Not the case here!

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    If there were a shortage of fish for human use and this person was netting fish just to feed his dog, that may be a problem. Not the case here!
    Actually since they are personal use fish he can do as he pleases with those fish as long as its not waste. He doesn't even have to like fish but if his dogs do and he feeds them fish that are dip netted then he is using the fish to benifit him. The rules don't say that the fish have to be eaten by humans. If there was a shortage of fish than I am sure the bag limits would be reduced to acomadate the shortage.

I put all my PU salmon carcasses in my garden every year. Usually I do a good fillet job, but there are always some ribs that end up with some edible chunks.

Is this waste too?

(side note, I've known people to pressure cook the ribs and feed them to dogs, but with the juice from each jar of canned salmon, and chunks of liver that I freeze, the dogs are plenty well fed and I see no need to make additional work)

I can say I do not neccessarily condone dipping for reds specifically for dog food or harvesting enough excesss or poor processing they end up that way. That being said I also understand it is his legal right to do so.
    We should all heed the advice given from the op on that thread and assesss our needs and plan accordingly.
    This spring the fiancee canned up the reds we had leftover from last year. They were vaccumm sealed in a chamber sealer and all were perfectly good. No need to make dog food out of red salmon legal or not.
    A friend of mine used to can up the rib bones and backbones with some skin etc. for dogfood if he had extra room in the canner.
    One year his dad stopped by while he was gone.When he got home his dad was eating one of the jars and told him it was a bit bony and asked how he had canned it. We got a good laugh from it but the point is it was scrap and still was edible after caning and sitting for a few of months.
    I will say I met the Klondoke Kid (Gary is his real name) while out icefishing many times over the years and he is a really nice guy who does follow the letter of the law from what I know of him.
    He has worked on projects for ADF&G like their southcentral pike fishing video. So while I may not agree on how he uses his excess personal use Salmon he is a nice guy.

I have been arguing/debating for years that many dippers routinely harvest more than they can use.
    Joat had a poll on dipnet waste last year with some interesting discussion. This is merely another point that helps prove my case.
    Whether we wan't to believe it or not there is a lot of unecessary salmon being harvested in our pu fisheries. Some of which gets used legally as dog food/fish bait and some that goes to the dump or gets dumped in Chester creek in Anchorage.
    Regardless if we let the pu fisheries continue as they have been it will never change.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Sounds like an interesting use, I just buy my dog the cheap food and don't see a reason to give him good salmon when it can save me money in other areas. Personally, I like to catch as many salmon as I legally can to supplement my Christmas shopping! It takes a bit of work but all my family and friends down south LOVES getting totes full of smoked salmon! I picked up a new digital/programable smoker last year that helped speed things up and hopefully we can step up to a chamber sealer by next season to make the whole process even easier. We get more and more hints from people hoping to get some fresh AK smoked salmon every year so I hope we can improve production to send them to more people!

LuJon

I may be mistaken (my lower 48 family would be delighted if I am) but it was my understanding that sending PU salmon out of state wasn't permitted?

Not trying to call you out... Just curious.

AKArcher

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    LuJon

I may be mistaken (my lower 48 family would be delighted if I am) but it was my understanding that sending PU salmon out of state wasn't permitted?

Not trying to call you out... Just curious.
    That law changed last year. You can now give them to whomever you like resident or not.
    Here is a link to a thread all about it.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...egal+immediate

Just because you can send your dipnet fish out of state doesn't mean you should!
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    That law changed last year. You can now give them to whomever you like resident or not.
    Here is a link to a thread all about it.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...egal+immediate

Just because you can send your dipnet fish out of state doesn't mean you should!
    Couple thoughts...

1. Good thing my family members don't read these forums.
    2. Good thing the rules/regs are hard for most folks to read/understand.
    3. Because of 1 and 2, I won't be updating my email I sent to them all with the prior regs stating they couldn't receive reds that I dip-netted.

Thanks for the update Chris!

AKArcher