Thread: Hunt suggestions

Default Hunt suggestions

A friend is joining me on my annual drive from Anchorage to Happy Valley in August. We have some time to kill on the drive back (Sept. 3 or so) and thought about looking for a nonresident hunt to fill the gap. Black bear, perhaps? I searched options on the internet and didn't see much between HV and Anch. We're willing to pay someone for their help, but really do not want a guided hunt.

Any suggestions?

Don

The Sewared Hwy is a great spot to glass for black bears in the fall. Once you're past Gridwood, you should be good to go. My favorite spots are near the Seward/Stirling Hwys split.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    The Sewared Hwy is a great spot to glass for black bears in the fall. Once you're past Gridwood, you should be good to go. My favorite spots are near the Seward/Stirling Hwys split.
    The drive to Happy Valley is the opposite direction from your suggestion.

Depending on the berry crop you may find black bears in the higher hills above "tree line" any place along the parks hwy.

There are sometimes some caribou before you get to HV...why not try for them?

Thanks for the great advice. We will fly out of HV to kill a couple caribou, so that part will be taken care of. I like the chance to hike and find a bear on our own. We have a vehicle and time, so we are ready to drive any direction out of HV we need to.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    The drive to Happy Valley is the opposite direction from your suggestion.

Depending on the berry crop you may find black bears in the higher hills above "tree line" any place along the parks hwy.

He's looking for places AFTER he hunts out of Happy Valley. He's returning to ANC - beat feet from HV to Anc & spend a day or two hunting bears. That was my reasoning.