Thread: Haul road speed question

Default Haul road speed question

I'm getting ready for my first trip up the haul road in about a month and a half and have heard people say take it slow tp help not to get flat tires. I do have E rated tires on my f-150 and was wondering what speeds people travel. My idea of slow on dirt roads is 45 or so. I talked to a buddy that his idea of slow is 65. How fast you guys run it?

I take it around 50 to 55. If you are passing a truck it's best to do so on a hill. When meeting one slow down and get out of thier way. If you don't do it for them, they will not do so for you. And they will most likely shower your windshield with rocks in the process.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

One of the first things I learned as a "cheechako" in AK. was when passing a semi on the haul road, after you get by him, stay in the oncoming lane for a considerable distance before returning back into your lane. This will also help you keep from throwing rocks at their windshields. Remember...these guys talk to each other on the CB, so if you screw up.....they're all gonna know it...!!! It's best not to piss anybody off up there as you may need their help.....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    One of the first things I learned as a "cheechako" in AK. was when passing a semi on the haul road, after you get by him, stay in the oncoming lane for a considerable distance before returning back into your lane. This will also help you keep from throwing rocks at their windshields. Remember...these guys talk to each other on the CB, so if you screw up.....they're all gonna know it...!!! It's best not to piss anybody off up there as you may need their help.....lol
    ^this.

I averaged between 50 and 70 on the Haul road, but I'm very comfortable on gravel, and it was before the snow (except at Atigun). There are some surprisingly steep grades between the Yukon River and Coldfoot where I'd hit the bottom of the hill at 70+ and put it to the floor and drop a gear and the truck would still be down to 50 at the top. The section between Livengood and the Yukon is the slowest, as it's windy and you might average 40-45.

Having good rubber is a start, but there are jagged rocks in places, chunks of metal off of road graders, etc...all in the road. If you hit one of those, it doesn't matter what kind of tires you have. Just take it slow and enjoy the drive. One of the big hazards up here is that you are pretty far from help if something happens. Best to be prepared for what might happen and prevent all of the problems you can.

There is a lot of metal on the road - you can see it easily if you walk some of it.....lots and lots of strap ends and bungie cord ends just waiting to render your tire useless.

the road has improved much over the last few years ( many portions are paved now) the times we've gone up our average was 40-70. the biggest things for use have been rocks into the windsheilds. not flat tires yet (3 trips in the past 3 years).

travel at a speed you feel comfterble with, if the truckers are going faster than you, get out of their way this is THEIR road, we just get to use it.

I average 40-50 pulling 11,000# of horses and trailer I slow down to 25-30 on a few of the hills. Without a trailer I average 60.