Thread: Buying a Cat, your thoughts/opinions on my choice.

Thumbs up Buying a Cat, your thoughts/opinions on my choice.

Been wanting one for a few years now, and this year looks like its the one. This cataraft will be used primarily for float fishing/camping all over Alaska, and possibly a float hunt or two. The max person(s) per trip I can see would be 3 people, maybe 4 on just a fishing/float trip, hunting would be 2 people max. So, you river floating junkies, whats your thought(s)?

NRS 16' River Cataraft

• NRS "cats" are designed for extraordinary performance, agility and stability, whether transporting passengers and gear or sport boating.
    • Precisely sized continuous-curve tubes enhance capacity, ride and maneuverability.
    • 25" tube diameters keep you floating high and manuevering swiftly, even under heavy loads.
    • Extended wear patches on the tops of the tubes allow for frames up to 13' long.
    • Heavy-duty Pennel Orca® material is super abrasion, chemical and UV-resistant for unmatched durability.
    • Trouble-free Leafield™ C7 Valves ensure easy inflation/deflation of the tubes.
    • 16 2" stainless steel D-rings provide a bombproof anchor system for your frame.
    • Three air chambers in each tube give you maximum security in emergency situations.
    • 10-year retail warranty, 5-year commercial.
    • Alternative colors may be available for fleet orders.
    • Repair kit included.
    • Frames sold separately.

Oversized

COLORS:
    Blue, Red. More color options are available for fleet orders. Call for details.

SPECIFICATIONS:

• Length: 16'
    • Weight: 75 lbs.
    • Max Frame Length: 156"
    • Tube Diameter: 25"
    • Kick\Rocker (Bow\Stern): 25"
    • Number of Air Chambers: 6
    • Valve Type: Leafield C-7
    • Weight/Denier of Tube Fabric: 41/1100
    • Weight/Denier of Floor Fabric: 48/1670
    • Number of D-Rings: 16
    • Number of Handles: 6
    • Warranty: 10 Year Retail, 5 Year Commercial

NRS Universal Frame - 72" Wide X 120" Long

Quick Overview

No matter where you go, or what you do the Universal Frame is right
    there with you. This frame's adaptability is amazing; perfect for day
    trips down the local creek or weeks on the Grand Canyon.

• The frame comes with Universal Drop Rails and 72" crossbars. This
        combination gives you even more distance between your cat tubes than you
        get with our 72" yoke frames.
      • The 120" side rails are made in two sections (72" and 48"), using
        our Breakdown Side Rail Adapters. This makes shipping cheaper and flying
        a frame into remote areas feasible.
      • Use the pieces of your Break Down side rails and your cross bars to make a raft frame either 72" x 48" or 72" x 72"
      • The adjustable foot pegs on the Deluxe Footbar position your feet for superior bracing and control.
      • Universal Frame comes with: (2) 120" breakdown side rails, (2) 68"
        universal drop rails, (5) 72" crossbars, deluxe footbar, 72" seat bar,
        high back drain seat, 6" oar mounts, (4) 9' straps, (8) strap slides

• Please note: A mesh cargo floor will not fit directly on the lower Drop
      Rails on the 72" Universal Frame without moving the rails in narrower
      than recommended.

SPECIFICATIONS:
      • Material: Modular Anodized Aluminum Frame
      • 2 - 120" breakdown side rails
      • 2 - 68" universal drop rails
      • 5 - 72" crossbars
      • 1 - deluxe footbar
      • 1 - 72" seat bar
      • 1 - high back drain seat
      • 1 - pr. 6" oar mounts
      • 4 - 9' straps
      • 8 - strap slides

Cataract 10' SGG with Wrap and Stop

The SGG oar shaft flexes and rebounds like wood without the weight or
      need for maintenance. The SGG effectively translates muscle energy into
      stroke power, giving you the ultimate in oar responsiveness. Blades are
      interchangeable with Carlisle models. These oars are wrapped with rope
      and come with rubber oar stops. The oar stop needs to be rolled onto the
      rope. The distance will depend on personal rowing preferences.
      Shaft size includes handle and blade.

SPECIFICATIONS

• 1 Rubber Oar Stopper
      • Rope Wrap is 16" Long
      • 9' Wrap Begins 22.25" From Handle Base
      • 10' Wrap Begins 24" From Handle Base
      • Length of Shaft w/out Blade:
      • 9 = 6'9"

10 = 7'9"

• Igloo Marine Cooler - 162 Qt.
      • Material: Exterior - polyethylene, Interior - polypropylene
      • Weight: 38 lbs
      • External dimensions: 44"L x 19"W x 21.25"H
      • Internal dimensions: 38.5"L x14.85"W x 15.75"H
      • Volume: 162 quarts
      • Holds up to 258 12-oz beverage cans
      • Lid supports up to 300 lbs
      • Snap-lock child-safety lid latch
      • UV inhibitors
      • Threaded drain plug
      • Nautical rope and wood handles
      • Deep food tray
      • Refrigerator-quality interior

• So there ya have it, this package includes the Cat, frame, 4- oars, 2 coolers. Not sure on a anchor yet (style/type) still need more info on the anchor/system for the Cat. I've also priced out everything above with 2 GOOD life jackets, Z-bag, few extra straps and looks about to tip the wallet at $5800.00, so I'll say $6500.00-$7000.00 by the time I'm done with goodies.

So whats your thoughts, ideas, etc...........

Dog,

The NRS Cats have a really blunt bow, so they don't perform well with large loads or when you're trying to push the boat with an outboard. They plow like a barge. On the plus side, they offer a lot of lift because of those large diameter tubes. But you get the same thing with a double-tube boat like the Super Leopard, which offers perhaps the greatest lift of any of the double-tube cats out there.

In all honesty, ALL cats behave like pigs when they're overloaded, so you want to be careful to stay well within prescribed load limits. Generally an 18' cat will haul the same load as a 14.5' round boat. In terms of weight, anyway. Of course, with the round boat you run out of room before you run out of load-bearing capacity, but that's another story for another day.

If you're considering ever running your boat with an outboard (and you will want one if you ever float the Kenai canyon down to Skilak Lake), you might have a look at AIRE's Leopard or Super Leopard. Pics of both boats are found on our Catarafts Page.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Mike,

This is a first for me, a cat; I hadn't thought of the Aire. Looking online, they look stout! What would be the major difference on the water between the Leopard and super Leopard 'ride wise, etc.' What frame would work best? The frame needs to have a ton of room for gear, etc. I'd like to be 'over powered', so to speak.
    I did think of an outboard, and I wouldn't want more then 10hp; agreed, it needs to be a must.

Interesting options Plan on the higher end of your estimates buy the time it is all said and done. We have been running 16ft Lions for a few years as well as the Leopards, and Courgar's. Mike has pointed out the Blunt tube NRS River Cat plowing which is spot on they do motor up "not so well" however keeping your horse power down does help. The 16ft AIRE Lion is of similar design we run 3.5 up to 4 HP outboards on ours and they do fairly well but trust me no speed records being set.

If I were going out an considering the NRS River Cat I would also consider the AIRE Lion.

I was not pushing white wer all the time in the Cataraft I would consider changing out the oars to SGX an with Oar Rights and Oar Sleeves. The only reason I bring it to light is if you are not feather oars all the time in heavy water it is a simple way to keep everything where it is suppose to be and is easy to adjust to different people who may be oaring your vessel.

Another option you may wish to consider moving up to an 8 inch Oar stand just my personal opinion anything on a 16ft Boat I up the oar stands fits my size much better also provides the oarsman a little more puff and stuff agan IMO.

Best of luck with your options.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    Mike,

This is a first for me, a cat; I hadn't thought of the Aire. Looking online, they look stout! What would be the major difference on the water between the Leopard and super Leopard 'ride wise, etc.' What frame would work best? The frame needs to have a ton of room for gear, etc. I'd like to be 'over powered', so to speak.
    I did think of an outboard, and I wouldn't want more then 10hp; agreed, it needs to be a must.
    The frames for the Leopard and the Super Leopard are nearly identical. So are the transom setups. The main difference is in load capacity. If you're talking two hunters, all the gear, two moose and possibly a caribou or three, the Super Leopard is the boat you want. You could put to hunters and two moose on the Leopard, but that's really too much weight for that boat in my opinion. In terms of how much room you have on either of these boats, there is absolutely no difference between them and the boat you were looking at. It's all a question of how your frame is set up.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

I believe after several hours of research, the Leopard 18' is going to be the choice; one last question between the cougar and leopard. The Cougar has twice the 'load' rating then the Leopard, but yet it has smaller DIA tubes, how does this equate? And can I make up some of the load rating with a extended frame, custom?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    The frames for the Leopard and the Super Leopard are nearly identical. So are the transom setups. The main difference is in load capacity. If you're talking two hunters, all the gear, two moose and possibly a caribou or three, the Super Leopard is the boat you want. You could put to hunters and two moose on the Leopard, but that's really too much weight for that boat in my opinion. In terms of how much room you have on either of these boats, there is absolutely no difference between them and the boat you were looking at. It's all a question of how your frame is set up.

Hope it helps!

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    I believe after several hours of research, the Leopard 18' is going to be the choice; one last question between the cougar and leopard. The Cougar has twice the 'load' rating then the Leopard, but yet it has smaller DIA tubes, how does this equate? And can I make up some of the load rating with a extended frame, custom?
    The Cougar has twin tubes on each side, whereas the Leopard is a single-tube boat. You're not gaining anything in terms of lift by changing the frame. All you get by doing that is more room for gear storage and seating. If you go that route, you have to discipline yourself to avoid using all the space, or you risk overloading. This is the greatest issue with cats-- overloading.

-Mike

Cool, thanks for the info, Mike. Looks like a 18' Leopard W/72"x120" top cat frame (modified a bit) and a 9.0-15hp outboard.

Looking forward to hitting the water; ever since I borrowed 'Toshiro's' 18' beast, I think it is a NRS and for my first time on/using a cat; I fell in love! Gave me a new perspective of the Kenai R.

Thanks again,
    Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    The Cougar has twin tubes on each side, whereas the Leopard is a single-tube boat. You're not gaining anything in terms of lift by changing the frame. All you get by doing that is more room for gear storage and seating. If you go that route, you have to discipline yourself to avoid using all the space, or you risk overloading. This is the greatest issue with cats-- overloading.

-Mike