Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Circles for sockeye

I think your observations were very geninuine but the Nautilus is not the only inline circle, last year I tried the Owner Mutu 3/0 light wire with very good results. I bought a pack of 28 hooks off Ebay for $15.95 with no shipping cost or tax.

Quote Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
    I think your observations were very geninuine but the Nautilus is not the only inline circle, last year I tried the Owner Mutu 3/0 light wire with very good results. I bought a pack of 28 hooks off Ebay for $15.95 with no shipping cost or tax.
    Just yesterday I stumbled upon the Owner Mutu hook and was curious if it was any good, I will give them a try based off your advice!

Question about the bead/bare circle-hook set-up: I tried it this weekend and landed two with perfect hookups and no snags, but someone mentioned that for the best set-up, the hook should be snelled. I haven't seen that anywhere, but wondered if anyone else has heard this. TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by ANCguy View Post
    Question about the bead/bare circle-hook set-up: I tried it this weekend and landed two with perfect hookups and no snags, but someone mentioned that for the best set-up, the hook should be snelled. I haven't seen that anywhere, but wondered if anyone else has heard this. TIA.
    I use egg loop knots (variation of snell) exclusively on my circles mostly for the reason that it allows for easy replacement of yarn/chartreuse as it slowly fades away

Quote Originally Posted by ANCguy View Post
    If you read the original post and watch the original video you will see that the bead is only required on an octopus style hook with the bent eye.
    When you're using the straight shank straight eye Nautilus circle hook I use the egg loop knot.
    You could also smell them it's basically the same knot.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    If you read the original post and watch the original video you will see that the bead is only required on an octopus style hook with the bent eye.
    When you're using the straight shank straight eye Nautilus circle hook I use the egg loop knot.
    You could also smell them it's basically the same knot.
    What he said......well, except for the "smell" part.........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

…..last year I tried the Owner Mutu 3/0 light wire with very good results.....
    Yes, but they don't hold up to snags very well. I bent a few of them...

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    What he said......well, except for the "smell" part.........lol
    Darn phone "Snell" them.lol

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yes, but they don't hold up to snags very well. I bent a few of them...
    I guess that is a good thing, my leaders are #20 and I won all my battles with them.

I'm sorry 4mer did not mean to come across sarcastic. If only the tip of the point is in something light wire is not that strong but once you get past the point to the bend the strength is there. I really like a thin wire for penetration and for the last two years I have gone barbless to avoid the barbs buldge and have not noticed a difference in fish getting off. I started with the Gamakatsu circle with an egg loop and yarn, tried the Nautilus and yarn then back to the circle with bead in the loop and last year the Mutu with yarn. To be honest I have not noticed a difference in any of them, the only thing for certain is that I have accumulated a **** load of hooks and I do not snag many fish with any circle.

I'm sorry 4mer did not mean to come across sarcastic. If only the tip of the point is in something light wire is not that strong but once you get past the point to the bend the strength is there. I really like a thin wire for penetration and for the last two years I have gone barbless to avoid the barbs buldge and have not noticed a difference in fish getting off. I started with the Gamakatsu circle with an egg loop and yarn, tried the Nautilus and yarn then back to the circle with bead in the loop and last year the Mutu with yarn. To be honest I have not noticed a difference in any of them, the only thing for certain is that I have accumulated a **** load of hooks and I do not snag many fish with any circle.
    Didn't take your comment as sarcastic, but thanks anyway. Indeed, I also use 20lb. test leader, and I do like the thinner hook as well, just noticed that after trying to yard out a few snags, sometimes all it takes is one, and the hook gets bent, then, even after trying to "somewhat" try and bend it back to shape, it doesn't want to hook fish that well. At least that's been my experience. Other than that, I believe they are good hooks.

I had a chance to try some 2/0 Gamakatsu SE (straight eye) Inline Octopus style hooks this weekend on the Klutina. They'd been sitting in my extras for 4 years or so. They worked like a champ and seemed to hold better than the Nautilus, most likely due to the wider gap and thinner build. I'm thinking the thinner yet very sharp point penetrated better. I'll be giving them another whirl this weekend, and placed an order last night for some 1/0 hooks of the same flavor. I'm sure they'd not be suitable for rivers with hook size restrictions though.

FYI, 25-pack Gamakatsu circle hooks, both Nautilus and Octopus SE, can be had on ebay right now for $13.99, w/free shipping. 1/0 thru 5/0 available. It's an absolute steal if you're looking to plus up your stocks during the offseason. I ordered a pack of each 2 weeks ago, just to verify they're the real deal. They are, and I just ordered two more packs of the Nautilus.

Supporting Member

Thanks for the heads up! Just ordered a couple packs.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516