Thread: starting problems with Sportsman

Default starting problems with Sportsman

Machine is a 2010 Polaris Sportsman HO. Only 42 miles on it. I'm having issues with it starting. I know the battery is weak. It has the pull start installed. Occasionaly, say 40% of the time the pull start "locks up", when pulling you either can't pull it, or half way up it yanks the cord out of your hand and hurts like a mother. Yesterday the electric start woulnt work, just a "spinning" type of noise comming from it. After starting by hand it ran for 5 mintues, then I turned it off and the electric start was working?

All these problems related?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    All these problems related?
    Yep it's a Polaris Did you get water in the recoil? the starter is open to all elements on the on the polaris.Mine keep getting trash in the starter when crossing water or just a bad starter out of the box twice. I bought a new sportsman many years ago in the shop once a weeks for fire,electrical,starter,bearing problems. Traded it 4 a mule. 2 months later Local Arctic Cat dealer says it if was not for Polaris he would be out of business. Good luck!! On another note the recoil starter kick back watch out it ruined by shoulder always pull starting it
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I just fix the same problem on my 6x6 the starter clutch is frozen in the dis-in-gauge position. Remove the pull start housing, remove and oil the clutch.

The polaris doesn't have a good compression relief for hand starting. Pull the cord until it hits the compression stroke and then give it a quick yank. Do this for every pull or it will kick back. The recoils have a tendency to build moisture for some reason and start rusting the inner workings. Sounds like your battery is just too weak to spin the bendix fast enough to kick out and engage the ring gear. This is why you run it for a bit and the battery will charge just enough to give it juice to engage the bendix. Let it sit and the battery weakens and no more start. What rig is it?

Tlingitwarrior:

Did you fix your problem?
    My starter problem came back so I had to take the Bendix apart and found the spring that pushed the gear back in place was bent, straighten it and put it back together. I should have replace it but I have more time than money.