Thread: Hot fly on my Colorado trip...

Default Hot fly on my Colorado trip...

Just got back from 3 weeks fly fishing in Colorado. The hot fly for me was a Quigley style cripple. Here is one that I tied last night in size 18 (caught fish on 12's - 18's on my trip). One day caught a grand slam from one of the lakes I was on (brook trout, brown trout, cutthroat trout, rainbow trout) in less than 30 minutes. Awful neat fly.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quigley dry.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	61267

Nice fly. I live in Colorado and have had great success with similar flies. Where did you fish (lake or stream)? I have had patterns similar that turn on and off in a matter of an hour depending on the specific hatch.

The lake I did really well on with that particular fly was Cottonwood Lake by Buena Vista. Also caught fish at a couple of other lakes we hiked to, your run of the mill stockers in the local reservoirs and nice browns on the Arkansas River too. It was nice to get out and actually be able to fish. As many fish as I caught, my wife out-caught me 2 or 3 to 1 most nights. We did really well fishing Puterbaugh foam caddis patterns on the Arkansas too. Didn't really even have to get out the wet fly box most of the trip, which was a nice change of pace.

That is a real nice cassis pattern for the Arkansas. I have been doing well throwing big streamers in the river. Always fun to not have to worry about a subtle take on a size 22. Having your wife out fish you means a better chance of coming back with her blessing, well played.