Thread: Minimum powder chg for hunting ?

Default Minimum powder chg for hunting ?

Picked up a new TC Impact youth 50 Friday for a neighbor ladd that I have takin under my belt to teach some hunting skills to and we went out and fired her up today!
    I was impressed, nice little gun and was simple and easy to use. You can't drop the bbl off as easy as an Encore to clean, but it may end up being more accurate as the pivot hinge seems pretty well constructed...
    Anyway this young man did well, shot up about 50 odd bullets I wanted to get rid of and he had some nice groups at 25 yards. I started him out on 50 grains of powder which he handled well, then upped it to 75 and he seemed good with that increase. He is a smaller framed youth for age 13 and not sure how well he could handle 100 grains but its a long way till Oct so we will see.
    I hope to have him shooting 223 - 245 grain bullets and was wondering how "light" of a powder charge any of you chaps have hunted with? I think 75 grains would do well out to about 75 yards on deer....
    He has one grandpa left alive and he lives several hundred miles away so not much interaction and I thought every kid needs a Gramps to enjoy - what I found is every Gramps also need a grandson to mentor! We had a good time and looking forward to more range time for sure! My grandsons age 3 and 6 are a blast as well, but this young man is local and fills an age void for sure....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

My wife is shooting roundball rather than bullets, but she uses only 60 grains of 3f. Out to 50 yards it kills them slick, but she's never tried further. Just for frame of reference, we've never recovered on of her round balls. They're all complete pass throughs on lung shots.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    My wife is shooting roundball rather than bullets, but she uses only 60 grains of 3f. Out to 50 yards it kills them slick, but she's never tried further. Just for frame of reference, we've never recovered on of her round balls. They're all complete pass throughs on lung shots.
    Thanks BB, I wus wondering if anybody was going to speak up ! I think this young man would do well with about 70 - 75 grains and I will see how he handles this load for awhile before bumping it any as I do not want him to start flinching... I have only shot 1 doe deer with a round ball and like your experiences it was a pass through.... Thx
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Gotta sneaky trick for you. Make your own powder measure to drop 50-60 grains and label it prominently, and let him use that. Make another one that drops 75 grains and label it 50, then swap him before a hunt. He'll never know the difference unless he's as smart as my wife. I made the swap a couple of weeks before the hunt. She noticed the difference without saying anything, then swapped back for the original 60 grain measure. She killed deer with that for several years before fessing up, as I was thinking I was pretty smart all that time.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Gotta sneaky trick for you. Make your own powder measure to drop 50-60 grains and label it prominently, and let him use that. Make another one that drops 75 grains and label it 50, then swap him before a hunt. He'll never know the difference unless he's as smart as my wife. I made the swap a couple of weeks before the hunt. She noticed the difference without saying anything, then swapped back for the original 60 grain measure. She killed deer with that for several years before fessing up, as I was thinking I was pretty smart all that time.
    LOL, we think a lot alike my friend! The problem I see it that "I" would probably forget the label system and one day in an effort to drop 2 - 50's into a tube it would end up 2 - 75's and I would be the one with "scope eye" !