Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22 center fire that is on the same level as the 22 mag

Default 22 center fire that is on the same level as the 22 mag

I have been using my 22-250 for shooting foxs and yotes, but it really blows stuff up. I have been looking for center fire 22 that will be around the performance of the 22 or just a little more. 22 mag shells are getting to expensive for what they are and since I hand load I best thing I could find is the 22 hornet.

One more thing. I really hate making brass so the 22 high power is out. It would be nice to get commercial brass for it. Anyone else have any other ideas?

If you hand load why not just get a good old .223 rem? Pretty much the cheapest thing going in .22 center fire.

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I have been using my 22-250 for shooting foxs and yotes, but it really blows stuff up. I have been looking for center fire 22 that will be around the performance of the 22 or just a little more. 22 mag shells are getting to expensive for what they are and since I hand load I best thing I could find is the 22 hornet.

One more thing. I really hate making brass so the 22 high power is out. It would be nice to get commercial brass for it. Anyone else have any other ideas?

Wild West Guns has bricks of .22 Magnum for just under $100.00

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    If you hand load why not just get a good old .223 rem? Pretty much the cheapest thing going in .22 center fire.
    It's to much for what I'm looking for. I have reduced loads before and they never give me what I'm looking for

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Wild West Guns has bricks of .22 Magnum for just under $100.00
    I wants a center fire so I can roll loads for it. I have not been impressed with most of the 22 mags that I have had

The Hornet is about the perfect fox/coyote/lynx rifle. You can download it a bit, or run it a little hotter- "as is" it's wonderful on fur. Good killing power and little fur damage.

If you want to use your .22-250 you should look for reduced loads using something like Trail Boss that would approximate .22 Hornet velocity in your .22-250. I'm running Trail Boss loads in my .300 WSM that pushes a 150gr at 1600fps. Probably your least expensive option.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail%20B...oads%20R&P.pdf

The Hodgdon data gives a 55gr .22-250 at 1984fps with a max load of 13gr of Trail Boss.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    The Hornet is about the perfect fox/coyote/lynx rifle. You can download it a bit, or run it a little hotter- "as is" it's wonderful on fur. Good killing power and little fur damage.

If you want to use your .22-250 you should look for reduced loads using something like Trail Boss that would approximate .22 Hornet velocity in your .22-250. I'm running Trail Boss loads in my .300 WSM that pushes a 150gr at 1600fps. Probably your least expensive option.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail%20B...oads%20R&P.pdf

The Hodgdon data gives a 55gr .22-250 at 1984fps with a max load of 13gr of Trail Boss.
    this is one option. I have no exprence using trail boss. My 22-250 will shoot a clover leaf at 100. I wonder if I can get the same accuracy at 50 using this powder. Thanks I will have to try it.

What you want is a Fireball.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

no need in turning a centerfire rifle into something it isnt. Get a 22 mag is you want to stop blowing up fur. Sell the 22-250 and use the money towards something more fur friendly. The 22 hornet, as hodge has stated is certainly a good place to start too. If you're truly trying to stay centerfire because you want to reload, the 22 hornet would be the ticket. I done sold off a 223 because it was damaging foxes with baseball sized holes on the exit even with fmj's.

this is one option. I have no exprence using trail boss. My 22-250 will shoot a clover leaf at 100. I wonder if I can get the same accuracy at 50 using this powder. Thanks I will have to try it.
    No experience with a .22-250 but my .300WSM Trail Boss loads shoot about 2" at 100yds...plenty accurate enough for calling in fur.

Maybe worth trying before you plunk down for a .22 Hornet...but then again, buying another rifle is seldom a bad idea.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

5.7x28 in an AR upper. Way less than a 223 but right around the hornet in performance.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

The Hornet is the answer, fore shore.

BUT, do you KNOW what it costs per round, to handload 22 Hornet? Is it reely less expensive? How much?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    5.7x28 in an AR upper. Way less than a 223 but right around the hornet in performance.
    That is a really cool idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    The Hornet is the answer, fore shore.

BUT, do you KNOW what it costs per round, to handload 22 Hornet? Is it reely less expensive? How much?

Smitty of the North
    Just for giggles....all current prices at Midway w/o shipping.

5 boxes of Sierra 40gr bullets @ 15.99 per = 79.95

500 small rifle primers (1/2 box) = $17.00

1 pound of Hogdon Lil'gun= $20.99

Comes out to $117.94 for 500 rounds or about 23.5 cents per....with some powder left over.

Probably wear out a box of 50 brass at 10 loads each (maybe not- Hornet gives good case life) so there's that cost to consider as well.

But the fun of shooting a cool, classy Hornet is PRICELESS.

You can get midsouth's 36gr 22 cal varmint nightmare bullets for $42/500, which will considerably drop your cost of handloads. I'm working my way through a 2000ct box of 50gr vn bullets and they have been very accurate bullets.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Paul's correct. The 30 gr +/- really shine in the Hornet. I have K-Hornet that I load with Lil Gun and the light bullets. They are accurate in my gun and shoot pretty flat to 200 yds or so. I have drooled over a friend of mine's CZ K-hornet several times...half way between a .22 Mag and a .223....sweet and the cases last forever with the K version!!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

22 Hornet works for me...If I need more I go to the 22-250
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I've been kicking around the same thing for some time now. I have a small boldface Remington action just begging to be barreled and don't quite want all the horsepower my old 22-250 had.
    The trouble I run into is that I can't decide between 222 for old benchrest nostalgia, 222mag cause nobody else shoots one, or the Fireball for neato efficiency.
    I don't want a Hornet because it won't fit my action, and with a couple exceptions the boltaction repeaters generally have kinda that rimfire toyish feel and construction. I can't afford an old Sako so likely no Hornets for me anytime soon.
    So I guess it's gonna have to be a Fireball........ or a tripledeuce.... or maybe a magnum tripletwo.

What about the Ruger 204..........?
    Or FMJ's in the 22-250
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    What about the Ruger 204..........?
    Or FMJ's in the 22-250
    I helped a buddy skin a couple lynx shot with the .204...lots of fur damage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast