Thread: Lamson Guru 3

Default Lamson Guru 3

Got my guru 3 the other day in the mail and thought maybe it was a little small in size bit I didn't think I needed the bigger 3.5 for silvers , bows , chum and pinks and I thought the more compact the better for fishing all day everyday for a week on my next trip .I put a full spool of 20LB backing on ( 100 yds ) and my 30 ft flyline , it barely fit , I'm not sure if I get run out real far if it will reel in without hitting the line . I have a helios in the same size and wanted a back up and the better drag on the lamson . I guess the only thing I might have trouble with would be kings and there is the possibility of fishing for them back east but only one trip or so a year . Should I keep the smaller reel or get the 3.5 , I could take some backing off and maybe even a little flyline if needed .I'm fishing an 8 wt. rod.
    chugbugs are for big bass -topwater!

Ok I went out and took most of the line off and reeled it back on , with just a little bit of guiding the line it went back on but with little clearance . I'm not fishing for moby dick so I think I could do with less backing , how much backing should I have on a 8 wt. setup .

Think about it, if that fish gets out more then a football field, you better start running. In most case 100 yrds is more than enough for freshwater. You could always change over to gel spun, less diameter.

Yeah you should be on that fish as soon as you hit your backing! I don't know were your fishing but if you have a fish that gets that far away from you and it is still on you better pull a michael johnson and close the distance. other wise the backing will be the least of your worries.

I was thinking the same thing just trying to get some thoughts on the guru 3 reel size for what I'm doing and how much backing for an 8 wt. is the norm. I might look into the gel-spun or take off a little backing . The only time I had alot of backing out was on the russian hooked up to a big male red in the current , there was no stopping him .

Has anyone had any bad results with the gel spun backing , the one thing I heard was it could cut you when it was running out , but also heard that wasn't really true.

My Guru 3 is the bomb! Just set your drag correctly and you will have no worries. Lamson rocks!

Thanks for the vote of confidence , I got a thinner backing and got 100 yds on so I think my main reel( guru3 ) is ready to go ,can't wait to try the lamson drag out, I have my helios for back up . Getting some leaders tied up with loop to loop connections for a easy fast change on the water . Even though I will be on the russian for silvers and bows I can't help hoping to get out on the Kenai for a float for big rainbows, I think I'm hitting the upper Kenai about right if things run as usual august 18th to the 26th . Can't wait !!