Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High end glass or LASIK?

Default High end glass or LASIK?

Price is comparable between the laser surgery and upgrading my mid level glass to premium euro hardware. I can use a flexible spending account to get a tax break on the LASIK. I am curious what others thoughts are on the subject.

I had LASIK performed on both of my eyes several years ago. My wife's insurance covered half of it and we went the flexible spending route for the remainder as well. I had to go back for a tune up, but I have been very happy with the results. I went with Dr. Ford and PCLI.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Had it done six years ago and only regret was not doing it sooner. I have 20-15 in both eyes after 20-40 or so. Final straw for me was a moose hunt where I forgot my saline solution. 10 days of hell.

Only draw back is loosing the close-up vision, which goes anyways in time. I used Dr. Ford as well, very religous man who says a prayer before every surgery.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Price is comparable between the laser surgery and upgrading my mid level glass to premium euro hardware. I can use a flexible spending account to get a tax break on the LASIK. I am curious what others thoughts are on the subject.
    Well big money.... Have you looked into PRK? Elmendorf offers it now I just need to turn in the paperwork to get it done.

Dr. Ford did my Lasik 12 years ago ... should have had it done 20+ years earlier - no regrets. There is always time to upgrade glass at some later date. Good Luck. I would definately recommend Lasik over PRK. As I recall Dr. Ford had now done > 20,000 Lasik procedures - experience DOES matter.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

I did it 14 yr`s ago at 42 now at 56 I use reading glasses, distance vision is still good ,I would do it again.
    You can allway`s up grade your glass later .

The big drawback to the surgery, I hear, is that it prevents you from having cataract surgery if you ever need it...that is what the wife was told when she had a cataract removed. Anyone know anything on that?
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Just had Lasik a few months ago. Very happy with it. Not a single complication at all. I was in pretty rough shape the day of the surgery, but I was at 20-15 the next morning. I had very poor vision (something like 20/400) before. I am really looking forward to hunting without glasses.

Now, that being said, I also just upgraded my optics to a Swarovski 65HD....Unfortunately my fun money is all gone now...

I'm 9 months post LASIK and its been an amazing benefit. Can't believe I didn't get it done sooner.

you know for people that have done Lasik recently, the benefit to waiting is the procedure is better now than it was years ago. I for one, am happy that I did it when I did. I work with two guys that had corrective surgery before. One guy had an early version of Lasik with no big problems so far, the other guy had radial keatotime (not sure on spelling) before Lasik was available. His eyesight isn't any good and he's wearing glasses...and because he had RK, he can't do Lasik.

I'd say it depends on your occupation and your present prescription. I'm ~20/40 now, but for my job, there's no way I'd want to correct to 20/20 and risk having to use reading glasses. For now, I need no glasses for office work. With glasses on or contacts in, I can still focus close but it's more work.

If your present vision is really sorry, then it would be a no-brainer to do the surgery and don the reading glasses...

I am far sited and wear glasses. I was told I am still a decent candidate for Lasik. Approx. what is the going rate these days, and how much does "some" insurance cover?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I had Lasik done 11 1/2 years ago. As others on here have said, I wish I had done it sooner.

No problems and no regrets.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Well insurance is different. You'll have to check. I paid $4300 in Anchorage. A co-worker did the exact same thing a month before me in Seattle. His was $1000 less, but he had to fly to Seattle with his wife...and get a hotel room for a few nights...and his wife went shopping. So all told, his probably cost him about $8000.

My insurance didn't cover it a bit, but the initial eye exam was covered by insurance. They can tell you after a 90 minute exam if you'll be a good candidate for it or not. If not, then you have a prescription for glasses/contacts from a really good eye doctor.

A few options for paying for it are to pay out of pocket with cash or credit card, use flexible spending account money (if your employer gives you that option), or most of these places offer financing. The place that did mine was advertising a 2 year financing that was going to be something like $180 per month. I think it was interest free. You'd have to look into that though.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I am far sited and wear glasses. I was told I am still a decent candidate for Lasik. Approx. what is the going rate these days, and how much does "some" insurance cover?

This may seem odd but it is important to me. With contacts I seem to have better resistance to being affected by smoke or wind. For those going from contacts to Lasik, is this noticeable? Or is it my eyes are over sensitive from wearing contacts too long and after Lasik they will "toughen" up? Don't want to do Lasik if I can't see because my eyes are watering too much from wind or smoke.

Hey Mods, this applies to alaska hunting how?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Sometimes they let things go for the benefit of the masses. I asked a knee surgery question a while back and was very grateful to all who responded. Dad's knee is doing great now. Had it been posted in a less traveled forum who knows what may have happened.

Plus you have to be able to see them to hunt them

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    WHy would you let this thread posted in the hunting section bother you enough to call in the Mods?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    There was a time when LASIK was questionable for people who shot big-bore rifles, so having this in the hunting forum isn't off base. I am considering LASIK and the reason would be to forsake contacts and glasses on my wilderness hunts, not for convenience in the office.

I had had Lasix on the right eye only, great vision far and near now!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast