Thread: Naknek River

Default Naknek River

Some friends and I will be heading up to King Salmon in late August and early Septmber in search of large Bow's. I am very interested in catching them on Mouse pattern's. We will be fishing beads and flesh and leeches (the normal AK stuff) but we are looking for some top water action as well. I have heard that surrounding rivers can be pretty good for mousing in the early and late season. I am just wondering if anyone has any info or experiences they would be willing to share.

Thanks!

In my experience fishing and guiding up there getting fish to hit up top that time of year is much tougher in the late season than the early season on the nak or the surrounding rivers (brooks, idavain etc...) June, July and early august can be money especially with a mouse but late august early september is the start of the drop and those fish get so keyed on eggs that beads are king with flesh and sculpins/leeches also working but still well behind beads.

Not saying i haven't got fish to go up top then but it's definately harder than in july as a big fish is always going to feed on the item that gives the most nutritional value and requires the least amoun of energy. Much easier for a trout to just sit in the current and wait for the eggs and flesh to come to them then to chase down a struggling rodent.

If I had to recommend a place it would be upper brooks. I love to mouse there in especially in july However I have caught some big trout on mice during the drop there but like i said ealier it is a lot more inconsistent. You'll see people catching way more fish and way more big fish on underwater pattens but if your like me a big trout on a mouse is hard to beat and i'm all about fishing how i want even if it's not in vouge for the time.

True Dat! Commando! Great report.

Thanks Kodiak, Thats what I kind of excpected to hear. We will bring some mice with us to test the waters but i'm sure the king bite and sockeye bite will be in full swing. I will give a report in September when I return.

how was the trip?

The trip went really well. I have been working away from home so I haven't been able to upload any updates. Pictures to come soon. We did really well though 20-30 fish days with at least one big bow everyday. Biggest measured out to 28.5". Weather was good. Sunny days were filled with white socks, so that was tough. We were the only ones on the upper river that weren't guides so compared to fishing the Kenai the pressure was non existent. One unexpected thing we encountered were the amount of Jack Kings we caught. They were actually a little fun but usually a disappointment when brought up to the boat and it was realized it wasn't a rainbow or a dolly. We caught so many that we began calling them Naknek Brown trout. Good times! I will post more soon when I get with my buddy and share the pictures.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Naknek.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	63724

Quote Originally Posted by LItoAK View Post
    The trip went really well. I have been working away from home so I haven't been able to upload any updates. Pictures to come soon. We did really well though 20-30 fish days with at least one big bow everyday. Biggest measured out to 28.5". Weather was good. Sunny days were filled with white socks, so that was tough. We were the only ones on the upper river that weren't guides so compared to fishing the Kenai the pressure was non existent. One unexpected thing we encountered were the amount of Jack Kings we caught. They were actually a little fun but usually a disappointment when brought up to the boat and it was realized it wasn't a rainbow or a dolly. We caught so many that we began calling them Naknek Brown trout. Good times! I will post more soon when I get with my buddy and share the pictures.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Naknek.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	63724
    Nice fish!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Sorry for not posting the pictures yet. I haven't forgot, I have been away from home since getting back from the trip and should be home around late October. I have some great pictures and a sweet video in the making.

Great lookng fish. Lookng forward to more pics!

Nice rainbow man!

Very nice.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin