Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you carry when out fishing?

Default Do you carry when out fishing?

If this forum is anything like the ones I've frequented in the lower 48, this question has been asked before, and probably many times. But, I'm living in a camper, waiting for a house to close and decided to ask it again anyways.

I carry sometimes. When I was living in Montana I'd carry when I went pretty far off the beaten track. We have Grizzly bear in Montana, though I never saw one outside of either of the two big parks (Glacier and Yellowstone, but they're there). I mainly carried because of mountain lions and black bear... though honestly never ran into either while fishing, but some while camping.

Now that I'm up in Alaska I'm planning to carry more, especially when fishing the coastal areas. I think I'll probably carry in the interior as well, but to be frank I really don't know how prolific the grizzly/black bear populations are in the interior. I've already encountered quite a few moose in my short time fishing the upper Chena. All encounters have been at a fairly far distance, but I saw them and they saw me.

Currently I'm waiting on all of my firearms to be sent up as soon as I have a permanent address. I've been researching some large caliber revolvers for times that carrying a carbine isn't practical, that I hope to purchase in the near future. The Ruger Alaskan in .454 is appealing, though scarce at the moment. The S&W .500 is HUGE, I don't just mean the round but the frame is giant in my hands. A .44 mag loaded hot is about the smallest caliber I'm looking at right now.

So do you folks carry a firearm, bear-spray or just go free-solo? What do you carry (pistol, carbine, what caliber?) and what are your thoughts on loads if you do carry?

Happy fishing,
    J

I usually carry a 4" Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag loaded with 300gr or 320gr hard cast bullets. With that said I am seriously contemplating switching over to a 1911 or Glock in 10mm. Both provide a slimmer profile which is easier to carry for extended periods of time which means you are more likely to actually have it on you when it is needed.

I would recommend anything from a 10mm or larger using hard cast bullets. I agree with you those 500 Smiths are great pistols but that frame is huge.

There are plenty of black and grizzly bears in the interior they are not just along the coast line. The coast of Alaska is great at concentrating a large number of bears in one area due to feed so you notice them more.

When I fish along the coast I don't carry since I am normally in my boat.

When alone or with Other guys that are packing I carry a 10mm or 1911. When out with my wife and little boy I carry a 460V. Big framed gun for sure. Heavy as hell too. I'm 6'2" and weigh 250+ lbs and that big X frame fits nicely in my hand and I have no problem lugging it around with handle sticking out of the waders. . 395 gr hard cast.

depends where im going either a 12 g no plug and 400 gr slugs or XD 45 with 13 round.

I totally believe you can run into a bear anywhere in AK. That being said tho, it really depends on where I'm going to be fishing if I am going to carry or not. I sold my 44 S&W a number of years ago. Because I do spend some time by myself outdoors I decided I wanted to replace it with "something"......mainly for, like you say, to carry while fishing, or to have in the tent next to me. I decided to go with the 4" Ruger RH in 45 Colt. When I do decide to carry, I load it up with 325 grn. Buffalo Bore rounds. At home it's holding cowboys so the wife can shoot it too.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I usually carry a 6 pack or two in the drift boat. On a serious note...I dont carry on the upper or middle kenai when Im in the drifter....As much as I love the Russian I have stayed off it the last few years due to the insane amount of bears and bear like idiots
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Would a 40 cal glock work ok given the right ammo?

Would a 40 cal glock enough if the right ammo can be found?

I would make a guess most maulings are away from the coast where you can't see the bears until they are on top of you. I've been in the woods my whole life and never carried until 5 years ago. Never had a bad encounter. Smelled them before and came across kills but didn't see the bear. Figured my luck would run out some day so I started packing a 4" Ruger Redhawk 44 with 320 hardcast handloads. I am now looking to pick up a 10mm. Still haven't had to use it in the field. (knock on wood)

Quote Originally Posted by Foo View Post
    Would a 40 cal glock work ok given the right ammo?
    I am not a gun guy, but looking for something different this spring someone pointed to the 40 and said "this is for people". Pointing to the 10mm he said "this is a 40 on steroids".

Lmao the twins are going to get themselves matching 10 mm that's cute.... What next matching tattoos that say PFF lol... Before you two run hand in hand to the range with your 10 mm shooting hard cast hand loads I would put a after market barrel in the glock KkM, Bar-sto, or lone wolf. Oh and buy these dies as well http://www.egwguns.com/undersized-reloading-dies/

I've lived up here my whole life and never leave home with out a gun or three...lol. out in the woods fishin I carry a .44spl loaded with speer gold dot 200g jacketed hollow points on the inside of my waders, and hangin on my chest outside the waders is a highway patrolman .357 mag loaded with 200g Alaska Backpacers.

6" Colt Anaconda 44 mag with 340gr Buffalo Bore loads for this guy. I pretty much always carry a gun in the outdoors whether I'm fishing, hiking, camping, whatever.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    I usually carry a 6 pack or two in the drift boat.
    What caliber are those 6 packs ... seriously though,

Yep, all good advice/observations. I don't think I'd go to the 10mm or 40, but that's just a personal preference. I'm leaning towards the .454 in SRH. If I can't find one of those (Ruger is in a state of serious back order) I'll probably pick up a .44 SRH and recreate loads similar to what Garrett is putting out - http://www.garrettcartridges.com/defensive.html -. Heavy bullets for caliber with a large meplat, designed to crush bone and penetrate deeply. As far as I'm concerned a pistol is a last resort kinda-deal and must be able to penetrate a bears skull or central nervous system reliably to stop an attack/charge... I think both the .44 mag and .454 Casull are up to the task.

Honestly, it would require a very skilled (or lucky) shot to stop a big brown charging at you with any pistol. I'd feel much better packing my 45/70 with 450gr hard casts, but that's just not practical when casting a fly-rod.

-J

I always carry bear spray but whether or not I carry a gun (10mm) depends on where I'm going to be. I've got to say that I've never seen a bear here, although I've seen fresh tracks.

After a lifetime of being out in serious bear country, whether here in the Interior, or down on the Alaska Peninsula, I know I should carry my Ruger .44 mag with Buffalo Bore loads more often, but I seem to carry it less all the time. Afterall, only around 62 people have been killed by bears in Alaska over the last 100 years! But I would prdobably carry it more if I weren't already laden with all the gear in my vest, a landing net, and at least one, but sometimes two heavy DSLR cameras.

Always pays to hunt or fish smart though. If you see a bear, or two; or if you are seeing a bunch of bear sign; or perhaps you see ravens and magpies circling a brushy area where a kill might be, it's time to back out of the area, or resort to other means of remaining safe.

I hope each and everyone of you remains safe and happy during all of your outdoor activities.

Jim

I carry a .44 Ruger super blackhawk with me on most fishing trips and on all camping trips. Currently I carry it on a shoulder side holster that just ruins my shoulder if I am on the water for long periods of times. I am looking into getting a chest holder for it as it will better dispers the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffSC View Post
    What caliber are those 6 packs ... seriously though,

Yep, all good advice/observations. I don't think I'd go to the 10mm or 40, but that's just a personal preference. I'm leaning towards the .454 in SRH. If I can't find one of those (Ruger is in a state of serious back order) I'll probably pick up a .44 SRH and recreate loads similar to what Garrett is putting out -

-J
    Don't disregard the 45 Colt........a bigger slug going every bit as fast as the 44.

That is, again,....if you can find one.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Agree with 4merguide. A bear won't be able to tell the difference between the .44 mag hard cast bullet and the .45 Long Colt hard cast bullet. Somedays I put a Ruger Vaquero in 45 Long Colt into my holster and leave the .44 behind.

Aknook, I suggest you look into the diamondholsters.com chest holster. It's pretty comfortable and should fit well just inside the front of your chest high waders.

Jim

Make sure you pay attention to the ammo you select if you go .45 Colt, there is lots of factory stuff that is made to be compatible with ALL .45 Colts that is loaded VERY light.

.454 Casull gives you lots of options! I've always wanted to replace my .44 with one but haven't yet, so I still don't leave home without the .44 (while i'm fishing anyhow).

I used to carry all the time. I encountered a bear on a trail once with 3 of my friends. What happened after that was aa comedy of errors that would have made the stooges proud. I was leading the pack because I had my trusty 45. All I could do was slap at my chest and say B B B BEAR. I couldn't locate the grip of my revolver and I was being impaled by rods into my back. We were lucky that day I was leading the group in my favorite rugby songs so the bear knew we were coming. She was able to warn us she was there. I think that is the best defense in bear country is to make lots of noise. I do still carry from time to time, but I always make sure th bears know I am coming.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast