Thread: Vertigi Grey camo pattern for Grizzly hunt

Default Vertigi Grey camo pattern for Grizzly hunt

Thanks everyone for the comments on hunting chairs. Let me give a quick rundown on what I am doing. I am 50 years old and for my 50th birthday gift to my self I am going grizzly hunting in unit 13 and will be above the tree line where I am hunting. This is a trip that is nearly 15 years in the making. It took a lot of slow savings to get to this point.

I have hunted in Missouri since I was very young and I am pretty complete on my hunting gear to hunt in my area. For this trip I have saved some extra money to make sure I have the right equipment and hunting clothes. I was wanting to purchase some clothes that I could also use back home here bow hunting and was thinking of buying some camo clothing that came in the vertigo grey pattern. This would work well for hunting out of my tree stands back in Missouri but I didn't know if it would work well in the particular type of terrain I will be hunting in Alaska.

Here is the pattern I am looking at-

http://store.scentlok.com/head-hunter-jacket/

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. I believe this will be the last piece to my puzzle.

Thanks again,
    Osceola Hunter

I'm a camo junky, but have never had a problem with bears seeing me as long as you stay downwind. Buy and wear whatever camo you like.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks Stid! Great photos!!

The only part of that pattern I was a little concerned about was the amount of white. I wasn't sure if that would stand out to much in that area. I felt like it would be fine but just wasn't sure.

I edited my original post to include a webpage that showed the pattern.

Thanks again!

Like stid said don't get too hung up on camo patterns to hunt in Alaska. Most of us buy clothing that we like and works for us and don't care what color it comes in for the most part. The key with bears is staying down wind, being quiet, and trying to stay out of sight.

who are you hunting with in unit 13?
    don't worry about the white, if your above treeline there is LOTS of white, from the moss on the rocks to the lichen and the skyline. no camo is gonna make you disapear, movement and wind are gonna be bigger factors to being detected by bears.
    the ol' school guys in red plaid wool killed alot of critters by just hunting smart....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I personally don't care a bit and wear lighter colored solids whenever they're available for a good price. Above treeline and on open tundra it is more common to spot folks wearing darker colors rather than lighter ones. Darker colors look very dark in open terrain and as brwnbr said there are lots of natural whites up high.

I too say don't worry about the camo. But do think about your layering system. I can remember guiding bear in Sept. in the AK Range, and even though it was blue sky and really nice, the wind was cutting us up pretty bad on top of that glassing knoll, even sitting behind rocks. Had every piece of gear I had on and still couldn't stay quite comfortable enough.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks for all the input as it certainly helps. I agree with many of you that even though the camo is very helpful, more importantly is being still and staying down wind. Working on good layering so I can stay warm and cool. I've learned from experience that good layering is the key to successful body temperature control.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    who are you hunting with in unit 13?
    don't worry about the white, if your above treeline there is LOTS of white, from the moss on the rocks to the lichen and the skyline. no camo is gonna make you disapear, movement and wind are gonna be bigger factors to being detected by bears.
    the ol' school guys in red plaid wool killed alot of critters by just hunting smart....
    Hunting with D&L Outfitters (Frank Danford)

ok ya i know frank. not sure excatly where he is at though.
    Master guide 212

Bears live by their noses - keep that in mind and you have 90%+ of your camo concerns covered. Good Luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Quote Originally Posted by osceola hunter View Post
    Thanks everyone for the comments on hunting chairs. Let me give a quick rundown on what I am doing. I am 50 years old and for my 50th birthday gift to my self I am going grizzly hunting in unit 13 and will be above the tree line where I am hunting. This is a trip that is nearly 15 years in the making. It took a lot of slow savings to get to this point.

I have hunted in Missouri since I was very young and I am pretty complete on my hunting gear to hunt in my area. For this trip I have saved some extra money to make sure I have the right equipment and hunting clothes. I was wanting to purchase some clothes that I could also use back home here bow hunting and was thinking of buying some camo clothing that came in the vertigo grey pattern. This would work well for hunting out of my tree stands back in Missouri but I didn't know if it would work well in the particular type of terrain I will be hunting in Alaska.

Here is the pattern I am looking at-

http://store.scentlok.com/head-hunter-jacket/

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. I believe this will be the last piece to my puzzle.

Thanks again,
    Osceola Hunter
    It's very doubtful that you'll be hunting griz in the brush in Unit 13. Forget about the camo and get comfortable !!!

theres alot of brush in unit 13....
    Master guide 212

i hunt alot in 13e, up by denali, and i find that the sitka gear pattern and natural gear blends in very well, i wish more brands would use natural gear because i too hunt deer in missouri and used it last season to have over a dozen deer walk within very close range before getting uncomfortable. but to agree with the others, helped my cousin shoot a black bear up there in above the tree line wearing blue jeans and a tan army undershirt, doesn't matter what color you are as long as they can smell or see you

Quote Originally Posted by winibezold View Post
    i hunt alot in 13e, up by denali, and i find that the sitka gear pattern and natural gear blends in very well, i wish more brands would use natural gear because i too hunt deer in missouri and used it last season to have over a dozen deer walk within very close range before getting uncomfortable. but to agree with the others, helped my cousin shoot a black bear up there in above the tree line wearing blue jeans and a tan army undershirt, doesn't matter what color you are as long as they can smell or see you
    I think you meant "can't smell or see you "

right.... can't smell or see, thats the idea no matter where you are