Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad expericence with fishing guide service

Default Bad expericence with fishing guide service

While visiting your beautiful state for the 7th time [bringing grandson 1st. Time] we had a very bad expericence with a charter service . My question is " are they regulated by the state and where do i go to report them? Or how do i make sure this doesn't happen to any one else. Does anyone know websites that rate guides that i should report them to?] i know you can't do it here
    thank you

Maybe an explanation of what happened(no names) can help us set you in the right direction on a course of action.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

3 months ago While planning a fishing trip to ALASKA with my grandson & wife,and after looking on line I called a few places about a Halibut trip for grandson & I,and while talking w/this charter service I told her the only thing we could afford was 1 fishing trip. She responed that "this year we have a special coupon offer pay for 1 full fare the other person goes for free" "we have 2 coupons- 1 for Halibut trip- 1 for Salmon on Kasilof or Kenai" the coupons were in a coupon book that have specials for Alaskan visit. cost aprox. $100 for book. We bought the book of coupons and called the charter company back and booked a halibut trip & salmon trip for 2 people and paid 1/2 of each. The day before halibut trip we went to their office and paid the balance for both trips and gave her our cell # as we were in motor home. Went on halibut trip caught 2 apiece,trip went fine. Went back to office to make arrangements for salmon trip woman said to meet guide at river 4am next morning.arrived at river 3:45am waited to 4:15 no guide. there was another guide there waiting for his clients, he said he knew the guide that was to take us so he called him for us.The guide told me that the owner had called him the night before and said to cancell trip because he couldn't get any more clients to go with us and we had paid with coupon.The guide said if we paid full price he would take us. No Phone calls no nothing. When I called the office they didn't want to refund salmon trip $ untill I threatend to sue them.In the coupon offer it has no conditions for cancallation. We lost the day of vacation plus disappointment of grandson.I'll bet this is not the first time that they did this.

That sucks and Im sorry that someone treated you like that in our state. I would notify the BBB.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by bobp14 View Post
    3 months ago While planning a fishing trip to ALASKA with my grandson & wife,and after looking on line I called a few places about a Halibut trip for grandson & I,and while talking w/this charter service I told her the only thing we could afford was 1 fishing trip. She responed that "this year we have a special coupon offer pay for 1 full fare the other person goes for free" "we have 2 coupons- 1 for Halibut trip- 1 for Salmon on Kasilof or Kenai" the coupons were in a coupon book that have specials for Alaskan visit. cost aprox. $100 for book. We bought the book of coupons and called the charter company back and booked a halibut trip & salmon trip for 2 people and paid 1/2 of each. The day before halibut trip we went to their office and paid the balance for both trips and gave her our cell # as we were in motor home. Went on halibut trip caught 2 apiece,trip went fine. Went back to office to make arrangements for salmon trip woman said to meet guide at river 4am next morning.arrived at river 3:45am waited to 4:15 no guide. there was another guide there waiting for his clients, he said he knew the guide that was to take us so he called him for us.The guide told me that the owner had called him the night before and said to cancell trip because he couldn't get any more clients to go with us and we had paid with coupon.The guide said if we paid full price he would take us. No Phone calls no nothing. When I called the office they didn't want to refund salmon trip $ untill I threatend to sue them.In the coupon offer it has no conditions for cancallation. We lost the day of vacation plus disappointment of grandson.I'll bet this is not the first time that they did this.
    Well, there is one side of the story. Perhaps you can prompt the guide service to tell us the other side of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by extrema View Post
    Well, there is one side of the story. Perhaps you can prompt the guide service to tell us the other side of the story.
    Not sure i need to hear another side here. They cancelled without even giving notice. I wonder if the coupon said it was based on x number of paying guests? Regardless they should have called and certainly they should have refunded the deposit without a fight. I would report them to the bbb and tripadvisor.

You can also file against them with the state.
    Somone posted on here a while back with the link under Trophy/meat section I believe. It had to do with the customer relations regarding a taxidermist. A little digging on this site and I'm sure you can find it.
    Bummer to hear you were not treated well, sorry to hear it.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Not sure i need to hear another side here. They cancelled without even giving notice. I wonder if the coupon said it was based on x number of paying guests? Regardless they should have called and certainly they should have refunded the deposit without a fight. I would report them to the bbb and tripadvisor.
    Wow sounds like you know everything based on a one-sided internet post. Impressive

Something doesn't add-up if the charter was able to contact the guide to cancel, then why not the client? Cell phone off, dead battery, out of service?

I'd contact the publisher of the coupon book.
    You were fortunate to get your money back and because the money was refunded, wouldn't expect too much from any state regulatory office.

Something doesn't add-up if the charter was able to contact the guide to cancel, then why not the client? Cell phone off, dead battery, out of service?
    Regardless....If they were't able to get a hold of each other, then somebody should have been there at the river to inform them. You don't just blow somebody off that has paid you good money....!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Regardless....If they were't able to get a hold of each other, then somebody should have been there at the river to inform them.
    Valid point but I have to wonder if a cell message was left but went unchecked. It would be beneficial to hear the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    That sucks and Im sorry that someone treated you like that in our state. I would notify the BBB.
    No kidding, not just in AK, but anywhere. Guides and charter services are buyer beware, it pays to do your homework.

Valid point but I have to wonder if a cell message was left but went unchecked. It would be beneficial to hear the other side.
    If a cell message was left he would have gotten it as soon as he was back in service and probably would have indicated that in his post.

just the fact they didn't contact you and another guide had to find out for you is crap. at least if the guide or charter service had called it wouldn't have been so bad. interesting situation and there could be another side but doesn't really sound like they would have a good argument. I'm sure it came down to the charter telling the guide (who is probably an independent contractor and isnt leagally obligated to the coupon book) "we only have a couple clients and they are paying half-price so if you want to work for half price go-ahead" the charter is probably bound by the coupon book but the guide probably is not. i have no idea what the exact details are but i'm surprised the guide decided to not work than make a little money anyway. sorry that happened to you. I did a little fishing guiding a time ago and i can tell you some crap goes on between outfitters and guides where the guides can get screwed.

I dont know how much more info you need. He showed up the guide did not. If the outfitter did not or was not able to get in touch with them then he should have been there waiting to tell them at the river. You dont just leave people hanging after they paid. There is ZERO excuse for taking some ones hard earned money and not showing up. Also to put up ANY resistance for doing a refund is total BS. I too have guided in my life here in MN and i would NEVER do that to anyone.

There was not any message on cell phone,I am back home and there is no message here either [they had this # from time of booking]

Gotta wonder if this "guide" is actually an Alaskan or just one of the quick-buck operations that comes up for tourist season to make a bunch of money off the tourists, then bugs out when the salmon season is over.
    It's apparent this outfit is in it for the $ and not for the love of fishing or giving the customer the "Alaskan Experience" like some of the other long standing guides we have working in state.
    Again, sorry to hear you got screwed.
    BK

Have a chat with ADFG about the charter service and they may have a little chat with them.
    Back in '08 I had an issue with an ignorant guide on the middle Kenai. I reported him to a brown shirt that was checking our licenses later in the day. She said that what the guide did was totally unacceptable and she would have a chat with him. As luck would have it as I was telling her about the issue the guide came running downriver to get back to the landing. She chased him down, handed him her business card and told him to call her after he dropped off his guests. I wuld have loved to hear the conversation as the guide was ripped a new one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Gotta wonder if this "guide" is actually an Alaskan or just one of the quick-buck operations that comes up for tourist season to make a bunch of money off the tourists, then bugs out when the salmon season is over.
    It's apparent this outfit is in it for the $ and not for the love of fishing or giving the customer the "Alaskan Experience" like some of the other long standing guides we have working in state.
    Again, sorry to hear you got screwed.
    BK
    There are good guides and not so good guides everywhere, doesn't really mean squat where they came from as that has nothing to do with the way the guide operates.

true this really has nothing to do with the guide, this is on the owner. People who read this need to know that. The guide works for the owner, the owner called him and told him the trip was off, end of story….not his fault. Now if he was a really stand up guy he could have called them or met them at the launch. But really at that point it is on the owner. Now if the guide was working for him self then yeah it is his fault, which in this case it doesn't seem to be the case, other then the owner didn't want to lose money on a one day trip (paying the guide) he wasn't going to make money any way because there was a coupon involved. Sorry to hear that, maybe you should stick around here and make friends that will take you there, gas money though really isn't cheaper then getting a guide…….unless they don't show up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast