Thread: Gold Creek/Big Su

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default Gold Creek/Big Su

I had planned on floating the tazlina, until gilliand said in only took 7 hours. We were taking little kids and a pregnant sister-in-law so we regrouped and headed the other direction.

We caught the train in talkeetna and rode to the gold creek flag stop. We packed all our gear 100 yards down to the water and started floatin that afternoon. Camped two nights, averaged about 6.5 mph for 40 miles and had a great time. Had a few jet boats running up and down river that yielded to us, and all the fish and game guys waved to us. The scenery was great but the fishing was non-existant.

I'll try and make the tazlina happen another time.
    20120704_135420 (480x640).jpgIMG_7334 (640x480).jpg
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

i've only heard of any fishing on a couple side sloughs/creeks in the fall when the silvers are running..sue is high and nasty right now too.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

What does the Train charge for the trip?

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

$27 for residents, $30 for our visitors. Kids were about half that. I think you have to take the hurricane train to do the flag stop thing, they only run it a few days a week.

I was hoping to find some clearwater tribs with grayling but apparently you have to go higher.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

My understanding is that the problem with the train is you are not allowed to take any fuel on board with you (white gas, propane, or propane/butane canisters) due to the post 9/11 security crackdown. Chugach National Forest got the AK RR to relent on this for the Kenai whistlestops (e.g. Spencer Lake where they're building a new cabin) but no one has had any success on the Hurricane Turn.

Although I guess if they don't know you've got stove fuel in your bags, there's "no problem"!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Scott RN, my buddy and I did this same float last August and are planning to do it again this coming weekend. How was the water level, river conditions, and the take-out in Talkeetna? Any info you care to share would be apreciated!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Holy thread resurrection Batman! I'm thinking of floating this section Thursday/Friday. Does anybody have any recent or additional helpful info?

Thanks for the original trip report scott_rn.