Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Scope Recommendations.

Default Rifle Scope Recommendations.

I'm upgrading my scope on my 7mm. I'd like to get a variable scope that is either a 3x9 or 4x10. I'm looking at spending less than $300. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Leupold
    Nikon
    Redfield
    3x9 or 2x7 are great magnifications to go with

All three offer lifetime warranties so buy used. www.24hourcampfire.com always has some great deals popping up on scopes and you can even find some good ones on here but not as often and they go quick on both sites.

Leupold VX-II 3x9

$281 I think at Walmart. Good solid scope with leupolds reputation and lifetime warranty.

I have a Leupold VX II in 3-9 I will sell for $250.00 including shipping it to you in Kodiak. It has a scratch on the outside of the tube that is toward the bottom when the scope is mounted and does not affect the performance of the scope in any way. If you want to know more and want pictures, please PM me your email address.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Several good choices in your price range... Leupold VX-II, Burris, Nikon and I've heard some good stuff on the new Redfield but I haven't used one myself.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Anyone have any experience with a Vortex 3x9 scope?

I have 4 vortex viper 2-7x scopes and they are great. I personally would not put money in their scopes that are cheaper than the viper line. Their warranty is spectacular! On scopes they just replace it if it breaks.

Last year the adjustment knob fell off my vortex tripod and I just emailed them about it with my name and address and they dropped a replacement knob in the mail to me.

Quote Originally Posted by KLNhunter View Post
    Anyone have any experience with a Vortex 3x9 scope?
    Sure, if you want to support the chinese economy go ahead and buy it. Or, you could buy a American made optic like Leupold or Redfield.....and they both come with a lifetime warranty

Quote Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    Sure, if you want to support the chinese economy go ahead and buy it. Or, you could buy a American made optic like Leupold or Redfield.....and they both come with a lifetime warranty
    Vortex Razor and Viper lines are reportedly manufactured in Japan most likely by LOW. Their Diamondback line is reportedly made in the Philippines and the Crossfire line hails from China. It have read unsubstantiated reports that Nikon uses the same Pilipino manufacturer for their highly rated Monarch line. Most of the vendors now days outsource their optics to a few massive Asian manufacturers and provide their own proprietary coating specs.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Vortex Razor and Viper lines are reportedly manufactured in Japan most likely by LOW. Their Diamondback line is reportedly made in the Philippines and the Crossfire line hails from China. It have read unsubstantiated reports that Nikon uses the same Pilipino manufacturer for their highly rated Monarch line. Most of the vendors now days outsource their optics to a few massive Asian manufacturers and provide their own proprietary coating specs.
    Interesting...either way they are not made/manufactured in the USA. Leupold/Refield is manufactured in Oregon, and even Burris is manufactured in Colorado.

Nikon are good, Go by your budget, yes its good to buy american and warranty is always something to keep in mind but a lot of companies are outsourced now, Hell some Winchesters are made in Japan although I heard the modal 70s are still made in the U.S.

The Redfeilds are hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by KLNhunter View Post
    I'm upgrading my scope on my 7mm. I'd like to get a variable scope that is either a 3x9 or 4x10. I'm looking at spending less than $300. Any recommendations? Thanks!
    You are much better off with a $ 400 rifle with a $800 scope than a $1500 rifle with a $200 scope.The true value of quality optics is lost on most people...........

Buy Once,Cry Once.

Quote Originally Posted by SANDRAT View Post
    You are much better off with a $ 400 rifle with a $800 scope than a $1500 rifle with a $200 scope.The true value of quality optics is lost on most people...........

Buy Once,Cry Once.

I realize that but unfortunately we are a family on a budget and I spent my cash a new pair of binos. Figured I have to be able to find something first before I can put cross hairs on it.

I like the Leupolds but I also like the BDC option that Nikon offers on the Buckmaster series. Does Leupold offer any thing similar to that?

I put a Burris E1 2-7 on my Savage 99. I'm really liking it. After a set of nice rings, you'd be right at your $300 budget. It's got a nice wind compensating and range recticle (etched glass). It comes in 3-9 too, but I hate most 3-9's because you can't mount them in low rings due to the size of the objective, and 7 power is enough for me in every situation. Scopes mounted too high, makes for an award shooting position and changes the balance IMO.

http://www.biggamehunt.net/blogs/gea...e-scope-review

http://www.chuckhawks.com/burris_ful..._E1_scopes.htm

http://swfa.com/Burris-2-7x35-Fullfi...pe-P48174.aspx

But don't mind me......I'm just a lowly hunter with nothing but lowly Burris scopes that have never knocked out of alignment.

The Vortex Crossfire and Diamondback line is manufactured out the US. I bought a Diamondback in May, and just looked at it again, and it says Made in Phillipines. I actually thought it and Viper and Razor lines were made in the US. Either way I like the scope for $190 I am happy. The Redfield Revenge is NOT made in Oregon, only the Revelation is.

Leupold offers what they call a BAS (Ballistic Aiming System), but only on select scopes.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    Interesting...either way they are not made/manufactured in the USA. Leupold/Refield is manufactured in Oregon, and even Burris is manufactured in Colorado.
    Not all Burris scopes are made in CO anymore. For a few years the Fullfield II have mostly been made in the Philippines.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudge View Post
    The Redfield Revenge is NOT made in Oregon, only the Revelation is.
    Im glad I bought a Redfield Revolution then

I have a Burris balistics plex and Nikon BDC. I like them both. One benefit of the Nikon is the color change of the crosshairs when you are over a dark target. This helps when scoping a dark animal in dim light (which is most of hunting in AK).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast