Thread: Need some taxidermy work done, any recommendations?

Default Need some taxidermy work done, any recommendations?

I've got plans to have a bear rug made up. Now I just need to find the right taxidermist. Looking for someone who does quality work that is reasonably priced. Doesn't have to be done in AK. Any recommendations for or against are appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by KLNhunter View Post
    I've got plans to have a bear rug made up. Now I just need to find the right taxidermist. Looking for someone who does quality work that is reasonably priced. Doesn't have to be done in AK. Any recommendations for or against are appreciated!
    PM is sent.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Dave at Frontier Taxidermy in Valdez. Done several for me and friends.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Dave at Frontier Taxidermy in Valdez. Done several for me and friends.
    I echo what Stid said...since I'm one of the friends. Dave did excellent work and was very reasonably priced. I had some fellow hunters over tonight that were very impressed with his work.

AZinAK

What they said. We have three bears and two sheep with him right now.

I use Dalhberg out of Palmer great guy as well and a straight shooter. I guess you can be like the cool guy above this post and go with the fella out of Valdez.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    What they said. We have three bears and two sheep with him right now.
    And this means what?????

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    And this means what?????
    Seems pretty clear that he agrees and likes Frontier.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Terry Marquet at Black Bear taxidermy in North Pole has very reasonable prices, only takes a set number of bears a year, and only does bear rugs.

Fosters in Wasilla did my wife's bear. I canít say enough good about them, top of the line quality work, nice honest people. Because they have such a good reputation they have a lot of work, but if you are willing to wait I donít think you can find better.

Trophy Taxidermy in Palmer does great work. Everything done in-house and pretty much a one man show.
    Turn around time is decent and prices reasonable. He's done a couple bears and some tanning for us.
    BK

tim at trophy tanning and taxidermy in palmer has done alot of work for my clients, they've all been happy and i've seen most of them, lifesize and rugs, all look great. does his tanning in house which is nice too.
    whoever does your rug, ask for double fill or insulation/quilting, some outfits just toss one layer it, makes the head look huge and the hair lay flat and look pressed. fill some quilting under that hide will help the hair stay up and give it a much poofier look.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I suggest you educate yourself and learn what "good' taxidermy is. A lot of hunters are happy with bad or marginal taxidermy work. Find out what makes a good mount and then ask people's opinions of a coupe of taxidermists who you know does good work. Would you ask people to tell you what a good car is and then go buy it? Not likely, so it will benefit you to learn what good taxidermy is, find a few guys who do good taxidermy, and then get opinions on their customer service, turn around time, and business stability. Good luck.

I've been satisfied with D&C Expediters. They did my sheep, moose and caribou
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Tall Tales Taxidermy in Anchorage
    "Shoot straight and keep your powder dry"

Mike at Fur & Feather in Anchorage has done all of my work for the last 15 years and will continue to get my business for all the years to come.

I suggest that you go yourself and go check out Foster's in Wasilla. They have done an elk for me and it is outstanding. Their work on sheep and bears is great!.

Mat-Su Beetle Taxidermy in Wasilla does a great job on Skulls. They don't do hides but they do a great job with Skulls. I had my interior grizz done a few weeks ago and it is amazing. All nasal bones are in tact, no long term boiling, they don't use paint, and by far one of the best skulls I have. I found them on Alaska's List 907-355-6451.