Thread: On bag limits

Default On bag limits

If I understand correctly, if you are hunting caribou, and you go first to say, unit 16 and shoot one; that fills the bag limit for that zone, but you could subsequently go up to unit 26 and shoot 4 more. But you could NOT do this in the opposite order.

So my question is this. Say I go to unit 16 early in the season and I get one. Could I then go to the Mulchatna at a later time and get a second caribou? In the Mulchatna (unit 17B) the limit is two, but only one may be taken before January 31st. Would I have to wait till February to hunt caribou there if I already got one in another unit? Or since it says the bag limit is 2, I'm good to go?

Thanks

My understanding is that you would have to wait until February to take a second caribou, as you would have fulfilled the bag limit for prior to Jan 31st for that unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    My understanding is that you would have to wait until February to take a second caribou, as you would have fulfilled the bag limit for prior to Jan 31st for that unit.
    Thats my understanding as well.

I would worry about filling that first tag and seeing how things go before trying to plan follow on caribou hunts in the same year. From what I have seen, once people start making grand plans and thinking they are going to run all over the state and chase all sorts of animals they end up eating tag soup. If you take your time and plan out one good hunt and put the effort in you normally get what you went after. Then you can get home and start planning the next adventure.

And yes there are people on here that have taken multiple species or multiple animals of the same species on one hunt but that is due to a variety of reasons.

1. lots of experience
    2. lots of luck
    3. combination of 1&2

Well said. Personally I try to prioritize by either species if I have a particular drawing permit or by the experiences I want. I always make some rough plans for what I'll do if I'm so fortunate as to fill my first tag, but it rarely includes chasing another animal of the same species unless I'll already be in a place that allows that. For what it's worth, I can't think of a single person I know that has taken a caribou in Unit 16 in recent memory, and the Mulchatna herd has fallen on hard times. There may be some great locations in these areas that I know nothing about, but neither of those areas are considered to be hot-spots of caribou hunting - especially from the road system when it comes to Unit 16. Good luck to you, though - sincerely I hope you find some degree of success out there this fall!

Thanks for the tips. My big hunt will be Afognak in Oct. as I drew a cow elk tag there, but I just love caribou and it's the only antlered critter I haven't personally shot... and as for unit 16, I have a father in law who has graciously volunteered to fly me around looking for them in his Cub, and 16 is the closest by for us that's not restricted to a draw.

Quote Originally Posted by northernalberta View Post
    Thanks for the tips. My big hunt will be Afognak in Oct. as I drew a cow elk tag there, but I just love caribou and it's the only antlered critter I haven't personally shot... and as for unit 16, I have a father in law who has graciously volunteered to fly me around looking for them in his Cub, and 16 is the closest by for us that's not restricted to a draw.
    Having a Cub and pilot at your bekon call changes a lot of things. If that is the case and you two do not mind spending some money on fuel you might be able to fly around unit 16 till you spot some caribou and figure out how to intercept them. Much better chances than giving it a try via atv's pr getting flown in and dropped off in 16.

But if you are serious about getting caribou I would fly out on the Alaska peninsula and go after them in a unit that has higher concentrations or fly up to the north slope and hunt them. Longer flights but more productive.

Before you spend too much on cub gas, talk to the area bio for bou info. Might be info on F&G website also. Maybe some AOD members have ideas on where to find bou in 16.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!